Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

The launcher I'm the proudest of:

The Experimental III DR MkIII (couldn't be bothered to find a better name):

Pre-launch pic, I really like the looks of the nose cone/fairing combination <3

The nosecone also has the launch escape system in it.

onpm.png

Separation of stage 1:

4q1m.png

And finally the orbital module:

qa6w.png

It takes two kerbals to orbit and back, I took some inspiration from the Dragon space craft.

There is one drogue chute hidden in the top but landing is supposed to be done using the engines.

It is quite useless though because I can't manage to put up a station...

Here is my album of a very recent trip to the moon. I was able to get ~40 tons into Mun Transit Orbit. The trip was almost a success :). I know that 2 things must be done - More fuel in the lander 1 stage and 1 more life support tank. But I guess it's pretty good for the first time. I am not uploading the ship until I'm completely sure that everything works. I used these mods.

Deadly Reentry

Editor Extensions

Ferram Aerospace Reasearch

Procedural Fairings

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

KWRocketry

ModularFuelTanks

NovaPunch2

RealSolarSystem

RemoteTech2

Romfarer Docking Camera

TAC Life Support

and last but not least VOID for informational purposes

LINK: http://imgur.com/a/wRvkj

P.S. Since I'm a pole and we have sent our first satellite into orbit the ship name is POLAND CAN INTO SPACE

P.S.2 I know that ship is not beautiful but it is to serve a purpose not be neat ;)

Okay, so I downloaded this, since I was tired of 'orbit' being a mere 2 Km/s...and none of my designs work. So I downloaded KIDS, and started buffing specific impulse. Now the Mainsail has specific impulse on par with a space shuttle main engine, and the toroidal aerospike rocket's specific impulse is somewhere between spectacular and godlike.

...And even the FAR Darkhammer II (included with the FAR mod), which is basically a giant pile of fuel and rockets, STILL fails to get close to a 300 Km orbit.

Looking at the rockets here...is 2.5 meter stuff even a thing? I'm used to working with 1.25 meter things - even using a 2.5 meter tank feels like a clunky and unwieldy abomination. But these rockets, practical sun-launchers if used in stock KSP, are the bare minimum necessary to establish orbit?

We need some 3.75 meter air-breathing jet engines and parts, if spaceplanes are ever going to approach the land of practicality. Or a linear rescale of masses, fuel, and thrust values so that 1.25 meter parts aren't useless.

You should get StretchyTanks, Procedural Fairings, FAR and MFSC before you even try to make orbit. Spaceplanes are incredibly hard to get right, so don't get your hopes up. The best thing to do is wait till the SABRES from B9 are compatible with MFSC if you really want to make spaceplanes.

I made this by request in the Realism Overhaul thread. Reposting here.

Here's a stock+required_mods (RO/DREC/MFSC/SSRB) launcher for a Mk1-2 pod + service module. The launcher will take ~15t to orbit, give or take (note the escape tower jettisons with stage 2 ignition, so don't trust the initial payload figure in the VAB). Service module has just under 1.5km/s dV. Hidden inside the nose compartment, under the fairings, is a drogue, 3 radials, and 4 linear RCS for pod RCS control. Disable pod RCS tank until stage away SM.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t8byg91koi23j3/StockPod%20Core.craft

An alternate, more fiddly version that uses a 3m core and two 3m boosters: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzq9smya0ymsmo8/StockPod.craft

Action groups:

Backspace: Abort (decouple, fire LES)

1: Deploy solar panels

2: Deploy comms

5: Cut drogue, deploy chutes. Used when ~750mAGL, or during abort if < 1000m AGL.

Flight profile: enough dV to get to a 300x300km equatorial orbit.

1. Disable pod RCS tank, only reenable on jettison SM.

2. Set throttle to max.

3. Stage to ignite.

4. Keep max throttle.

5. Start turn at 100m/s (~1.5km)

6. When passing 6Gs, throttle back to 75%

7. Stage away first stage; ignite second stage. Max throttle.

8. End turn at around 200km, flying a zero-lift ascent.

9. Shut down when apogee = 300km.

10. Reignite to circularize.

If using MJ, use this profile: Turn start 1.5km, turn end 200km, final grade 0, turn shape 30%.

Note that this is rather inefficient. You probably should end your turn earlier.

Energya - without Buran - replica

Waiting for wet workshops to be implemented...

AZDjCvb.png

XUxlRmA.jpg

LsIR9uh.jpg

Launching 70 ton military satellite to 500 x 500 orbit.

Sad that Energya stopped, along with the incredible Deuteron concept.

Edited by p3asant

you should go up to the energya based Vulkan Concept :) - it was energya main stage with 8 zenith boosters, and an Energya-M as an upper stage :) (would have been planned to be able to lift 175 tons to LKO - more than a Saturn V ! :P

Yeah the soviets had all kinds of awesome plans to do with energya derived vehicles like fixing ozone hole and the munar bases.

Too bad the booster required for these things came out too late :( .

Also the Energia II would have been a sight to behold.

Also here's another HLV, named Kernya, derived from Energia but with 6m core and upper boost stage powered by 5 rd-146's

About 60-70 ton area.

It's designed to work with MechJeb. Hence the 3 rd-120's for improved acceleration. Could be launched with 2 rd-120's.

LaMO8ds.jpg

6e0ijkH.jpg

Upper stage in action.

0RZqpKu.png

Edited by p3asant

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.