Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

I got my Vostok to work, all stock except Mech Jeb for information:

http://i.imgur.com/qjJSu9O.png

http://i.imgur.com/K0Cg9xH.png

Too close for comfort:

http://i.imgur.com/NSiQU2S.png

And Vostok:

http://i.imgur.com/pdw6NLb.png

You do know that you have just done something much more difficult than the real thing, right? Stock KSP has awful tank mass ratios and engine T/W, so congrats on a very difficult build!

You do know that you have just done something much more difficult than the real thing, right? Stock KSP has awful tank mass ratios and engine T/W, so congrats on a very difficult build!

It gets about half the mass of the real Vostok into orbit, and I am not sure about the total mass of the real Vostok rocket, so I can't compare them...

So, here is a three-stage 13-ton to LKO orbit rocket. Using MMH+N2O4 for all stages.

rzx4.png

And this monster rocket can lift 110 tons to LKO. It looks like Energiya rocket: LH2+LOX central stage and four Kerosene+LOX boosters. This one is delivering a piece of moon base into orbit.

0wxj.png nk59.png ln0l.png

These new modular adapters are so useful!

And this monster rocket can lift 110 tons to LKO. It looks like Energiya rocket: LH2+LOX central stage and four Kerosene+LOX boosters. This one is delivering a piece of moon base into orbit.

These new modular adapters are so useful!

Seems amazing!

Can you share craft file of this monster with list of mods?

Wow, I thought this thread had died, and instead I'm missing out on awesome stuff for...pretty much a month. Especially that prime Kell-bait from Wallenberg :)

(Have you considered doing the Colliers stuff?)

Anyway...a hearty "well done!" to all of you! :)

Yes, people actually enjoy Real Solar System and all its associated mods, Nathan! Especially the Rftsengines configs from your AAR series make this an interesting challenge.

Colliers? Sounds great! Check out "Man Conquers Space" on YT, there are a few teasers of an (/a hopefully) upcoming movie based on the Colliers series.

Currently, though taking a break from KSP (Dangerous Waters anyone?), I've started an alternate history line of an early Austro-Hungarian space programme in the 1910s. No screenshots from work, unfortunately.

Seems amazing!

Can you share craft file of this monster with list of mods?

I can if someone really needs it. But I am using old engine configs, I don't think that anyone else uses it. Also the rocket loves disintegrating and I had to add many struts. I think that there should be a better, simpler and more reliable 100t payload rocket somewhere.

SLS Block II in the house!

93jOKSP.jpg

1500 tons of very, VERY angry space ship.

This puppy can manage 100 metric tons to an orbit of 430Km. She is the workhorse of my program. She relies on 2 utterly massive solid boosters to get her off of the launchpad.

Interesting side note, when building this, the construction of my Space Shuttle did actually inform the craft, so it really can be considered a Shuttle Derived Launch Vehicle.

Edited by GamerGaius

The Saturn V was 2,800,000 kg, so SFJack's is quite close to the real thing.

Yep, I made it a 1:1 replica in respect to mass and size.

Just a little clarification - the exact mass for each launch varied. For Apollo 11 it was 6,477,875 pounds, or 2,938 metric tons.

This is amazing! What engine configs and what parts are you using?

RealismOverhaul with RealEngines

Engines - F-1 engine replica by Hakari, NovaPunch for the J-2,

Tanks - StretchyTanks + texture packs from ferram and blackheart

Interstages - ProceduralFairings

That's all, really, for the Saturn-V.

The Apollo part used:

LES - LESPack from PDCWolf

Engines - KW for the SPS, AIES for the LM engines

Lunar Module - ALCOR capsule, landing legs from AIES

Orbital Sciences Antares

and Cygnus Spacecraft

By Razorcane

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I wanted to rebuild Antares and Cygnus, since I believe they are a wholly ignored set of vehicles. I built Cygnus first, using measurements that are publicly available online. It wasn't really a difficult craft to build, however I did have to go back and edit the fuel values after I had built the rocket. The Castor30XL engine was probably the most difficult to get right. I used the dimensions provided by the wiki page, and gave it a 136 second burn time. This presented a problem, as it didn't have enough delta-V to send Cygnus to orbit (though I didn't find this out until I was already on the launchpad preparing for my first test flight!). I had forgot to match the Isp from the specifications that I had seen. After that was done, the issue was solved. The first stage wasn't really a problem. I simply matched the dimensions found on the wiki. The engines were a bit tricky though, as there aren't any engines that remotely resemble the ones used on Antares, and I really didn't want to use another from KW/Stock/NovaPunch. Lucky for me, BobCat had made the Russian Engines pack, which had exactly what I needed. It turns out that Antares uses modified NK33 engines, which the pack had. All I had to do was edit the config file and I was good to go!

Craft File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41300233/Cygnus.craft

Antares has roughly 10,200m/s of Delta-V, which propelled the Cygnus Spacecraft into orbit. Cygnus itself had about 2500m/s, which allow it(albeit slowly) to move about LKO and dock with the station(which it hasn't done yet). I'm actually quite proud at how this rocket turned out. I hope you guys enjoy.

EDIT: I apologize for the solar panels, I know they aren't right. However the LaxTek Dragon panels were the only ones that were even remotely close to the right size. I wish they weren't bent like that.

Edited by Razorcane

Glorious job on that! Indeed, the Antares and Cygnus are both sadly ignored in KSP. They are becoming more widely used IRL so it's nice to see A KSP version. :)

Thanks. And yea, I think Antares is a really great low-cost rocket. It might even replace Pegasus (or maybe it already has). I'm working on a Delta IV Medium and Heavy variants right now. The medium seems to work ok, though I can only get about 75% of the expected mass into orbit. I will probably have to manually create engine configurations like I did the Antares. Also, the heavy has a lot of wobble that I would really like to get rid of. The best solution for that I believe is to just add more struts, though I figured 4 of the super strong KW ones would be enough. I guess I was wrong.

Atlas V 501

and TDRS-A

By Razorcane

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This one was a real bugger to get right. I had all the parts I needed, but getting the right measurements and providing the right Delta-v was tough work. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anything other than the 501 to work. The SRB configuration is something that FAR and Mechjeb do not like, and the craft spins out of control at different altitudes. Still, this bad boy lifted 3t to LKO, and had enough Delta-V to achieve interplanetary speeds. However, this was the first flight test of the rocket, so I didn't want to push it too far.

Also, I'm in the process of creating the Delta IV, Delta IV Heavy, and Delta II rockets. If you guys know of any other rockets that might be doable(No Saturn V, I've already tried) then let me know.

Nice Launchers Razorcane! I have a possible suggestion or two:

• Saturn 1 / 1B
  • Falcon X? (Is this even a thing? I have seen images, and scale photos, but never actually any designs.)
  • Ariane V
  • Vega
  • Atlas V 401 (Well. You have the 501. Would it be too hard to downsize the second stage and call it a 401? :P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.