PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

Do you intend for them to lie down? There's no headroom if you account for the actual fuselage wall, and they'd need some way to travel up and down the module.

No, if you make the fuselage wall as thick as real aircraft have them, there's plenty of room with them merely sitting. Two could stand side by side. Seated, it won't be any problem at all. Sorry if the pic doesn't make that clear, but it is the case. There's room for two side by side with an aisle down the middle, plenty of headroom, and realistically-sized fuselage walls. You could fit two humans side by side in an Mk2 fuselage. It's taller than many human-operated vehicles that do, even when you consider the sloping sides. For Kerbals, no sweat...

Edited by Gaius

No, if you make the fuselage wall as thick as real aircraft have them, there's plenty of room with them merely sitting. Two could stand side by side. Seated, it won't be any problem at all. Sorry if the pic doesn't make that clear, but it is the case. There's room for two side by side with an aisle down the middle, plenty of headroom, and realistically-sized fuselage walls. You could fit two humans side by side in an Mk2 fuselage. It's taller than many human-operated vehicles that do, even when you consider the sloping sides. For Kerbals, no sweat...
You do realise that this is a spacecraft, I hope?

Space planes use their lift to dodge most atmospheric heating during reentry. This allows them to get away with much thinner heat shields. Other than that, there isn't that big a difference between an airplane hull and a spacecraft hull. It is a bit of isolation material and a pressure vessel.

Also note that these Kerbals don't need to be comfortable during the trip. They won't complain (much) about a lack of leg space. The Mk1 capsule is probably a tighter fit than this and kerbals still agree to fly to Eeloo in those capsules.

Yup. The Mk2 is positively spacious by spacecraft standards. Particularly when you consider kerbals are less than a meter tall, whereas the Mk2 is over 1.5m tall in the center. At its center, a kerbal could stand on the shoulders of a second kerbal in an Mk2 fuselage. In fact, stooping just a bit, he could stand on the other's head. In seated position, you could put one kerbal directly above another in the center. Two side by side with thicker walls than any real spacecraft in history is not an issue.

EDIT: Now with moar pic...

HxVvF2s.png

Mk2 is slightly under twice the height of a standing kerbal. Do two people have difficulty sitting side by side in your car? Can even one stand up inside it? You seem to be vastly underestimating the size of the Mk2 fuselage compared to the creatures that fly it. Relative to the size of its passengers, it's taller and wider and most buses (outside of London, of course).

Edited by Gaius

You seem to be vastly underestimating the size of the Mk2 fuselage compared to the creatures that fly it. Relative to the size of its passengers, it's taller and wider and most buses (outside of London, of course).

Easy, tiger. You're being a little overzealous.

Edit:

Here's even MOAR pictures. They aren't meant to solidly prove anything either way, just to show, as scientifically as possible, how much room there is and is not. This is an attempt to cram an even larger number of Kerbals in than are currently being discussed. I used a cargo bay because I don't feel that showing Kerbals on the outside of the ship really tells us much. I stopped after only three Kerbals because I felt I had sufficient data for PJ Space Plane Ergonomics Mk2 (I had a full twelve Kerbals waiting to participate)

Pertinent data about the experiment:

The cargo deck is longer than the passenger module in question. Please note the truss in the center (bad placement, sorry). The truss marks the extreme end of a passenger module and an actual passenger module was attached to aid in placement. It is accurate.

A floor was put in place as we probably won't have the seats sitting on curved floors. Twelve seats were placed. They were not given optimal placement and the floor could have been lowered a bit. Without helmets and with the seats spaced further apart we can definitely get a good number of Kerbals in there. This experiment is neither a success nor failure as its purpose was to gather data.

My takeaway from this experiment is that:

• Helmets are out. No helmets unless we're putting the Kerbals towards the center and doing with less passengers.
  • A floor is a must but I could have lowered this floor a bit and given the Kerbals more headroom. This is worst case scenario, not what we CAN do.
  • We can definitely do four Kerbals, no problem.
  • Maybe even 6-10 if we get creative.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Starwaster

I made a rover with your Mk2 cockpit parts, I really like your work and look forward to using them in many designs to come. Only thing is I sure wish I could look out the windows in IVA while driving...

ab1P8ek.jpg?1

So what's the deal with getting this set up for FAR? I don't really need the wings, but that cargo bay is amazing.

For the non-wing/aileron parts, you need to change the module = Winglet to module = Part at the top of the part.cfg's

And then comment out (add // to the start of) the dragCoeff = and deflectionLiftCoeff = arguments further down in the cfg under winglet parameters

Unless someone has posted FAR lifting body configs (if that's even possible) for the bays/fuselage/cockpit somewhere already?

Yes, eventually. Not soon tho.

I need to warn you guys, in the next update I will make changes to the cockpit that will probably kill your crafts.

SO, everyone whos using the parts right now, you should evacuate your kerbals and undock the things from your stations etc. I'm sry about that, but things like this have to be expected with WIP things. As someone mentioned earlier I should change the reference name to something more unique. So yea, one word changed in the config, all crafts deleted in-game. such is life...

Next part I'll work on is the inline cockpit. This will also be the last part for this pack for now. I'm looking forward to release it and take a break.

Yes, eventually. Not soon tho.

I need to warn you guys, in the next update I will make changes to the cockpit that will probably kill your crafts.

SO, everyone whos using the parts right now, you should evacuate your kerbals and undock the things from your stations etc. I'm sry about that, but things like this have to be expected with WIP things. As someone mentioned earlier I should change the reference name to something more unique. So yea, one word changed in the config, all crafts deleted in-game. such is life...

Next part I'll work on is the inline cockpit. This will also be the last part for this pack for now. I'm looking forward to release it and take a break.

uhm hate tobump myoriginal post but how would one go about Re-texturing and reconfiguring this crew cabin to be a LFO tank? if it's not posible then pleasePorkjet might i ask you to maybe think of it?

uhm hate tobump myoriginal post but how would one go about Re-texturing and reconfiguring this crew cabin to be a LFO tank? if it's not posible then pleasePorkjet might i ask you to maybe think of it?

If all you need is an LFO tank, the B9 pack has lots of Mk2 parts.

Extra Polys are involved. 4 windows for 4 kerbals, why add more? Want them spaced closer together? Since its a Spacecraft and not some airliner I think the spacing is ok. There could be life support utilities or supplies where you would cram in 20 more passangers in an airliner.

Extra Polys are involved. 4 windows for 4 kerbals, why add more? Want them spaced closer together? Since its a Spacecraft and not some airliner I think the spacing is ok. There could be life support utilities or supplies where you would cram in 20 more passangers in an airliner.

Did you miss my experiment?

It can handle more than four. Life support can go below decks.

The cool thing is people who think it holds too many can edit the part.cfg to hold less and people who think it can hold more can do the same. Yay! Everyone wins!

Not if it gets an IVA and people who want more crew capacity want to use it.

Personally though, I think 4 is fine. It takes a lot of equipment to ensure safe spaceflight, and a lot of it is older and bulkier than on a typical aircraft just to ensure robustness and reliability, plus you have space-suits and room to move around in zero-gravity to worry about. 4 seems like a good balanced number to me.

And what about game balance?

Unaffected. Unless I were to go over what can physically fit in there with reasonable room for life support, fixtures and plumbing.

Do passengers on. 747 complain about game balance? Heck no, they say SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!