PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

Gaaa So many different choices!

(i'd like a Rapier due to it being good on SSTO's!)

(but i would also like a ramjet! ;) )

I think a rapier would be awesome, and if you could make a jet engine of some kind, that would be cool!

In KSP, stock turbojets are so OP by reality standards that a ramjet is pretty much useless. It's the same reason that the RAPIER is not quite as effective as turbojet-rocket combos. IRL, turbojets would hit a speed/altitude wall and pretty much stop working, whereas SABRE engines don't do that and can go faster and higher before suffering the same fate (at which point they switch over to closed cycle anyway).

A RAPIER, turbojet, and the ever-popular linear aerospike would be nice to have. Some Porkjet style engines would be great to see. At least model up a concept when you have some time just as eye candy.

As for parts, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cool ideas, I could at least add 20-30 useful parts, but these things take so much time to make, I'll have to sort my thoughts and focus on the most important bits first, which I guess are a few adapters and proper wings, and maybe some cool intakes.

There are a lot of cool ideas, but I'd also caution against bloat. I really enjoy addons with a smallish number of high quality parts that share a cohesive concept and fill a clear niche. Your inflatables pack is a perfect example of this, and this Mk2 pack seems to developing along these lines as well, but I think 20-30+ parts would likely be excessive. I think your priorities (i.e., wings, adapters, and maybe intakes) are perfect, and you probably don't need to add much beyond that in order to have a pack that feels "complete."

Edited by Fraz86

People mentioned problems with the parts stock winglet settings and FAR, so hoped adding that would help somehow. if it doesn't help then I'll just remove it. In the stock game everything works, and FAR seems to add another layer of complications that i honestly can't be arsed to care about. If you guys want FAR support find someone to put together a module manager config and I'll gladly include it with the pack for evryone.

As for parts, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cool ideas, I could at least add 20-30 useful parts, but these things take so much time to make, I'll have to sort my thoughts and focus on the most important bits first, which I guess are a few adapters and proper wings, and maybe some cool intakes.

Porkjet, only wings need FAR configs. Do not include FAR wing code to a cockpit or fuselage is what I am saying.

Don't do stock lift, and don't do FAR lift for the cockpit, let it be a cockpit. When you do the wings we can ask Ferram how it should be set up, but focus on what you want to do for now :)

Just a thought about a docking port. You could use the short (or use the longer) cargo-bay and create a dockingport adapter to put inside the cargo-bay, much like the space shuttle.

whatsgoingup1.jpg

Preferable the the upward facing docking port should be extendable. A pair of upward aimed lights would be nice, also the space on the side could be used to host a pair of RCS tanks.

Just a thought about a docking port. You could use the short (or use the longer) cargo-bay and create a dockingport adapter to put inside the cargo-bay, much like the space shuttle.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DLU4sdTFM7s/S_YQ4lH6wUI/AAAAAAAAEws/eDgpzxPlAw8/s1600/whatsgoingup1.jpg

Preferable the the upward facing docking port should be extendable. A pair of upward aimed lights would be nice, also the space on the side could be used to host a pair of RCS tanks.

Sorta like the in-line clamp-o-tron.

Porkjet, would you be able to put up the latest SpaceplanePlus link on the first page of this thread and on the release thread? Just so we can easily grab the latest version without sifting through pages upon pages and so that we be assured we're downloading the latest release.

I did some tweaking on the cargo bay and fuselages to enable them to be surface attached by the heat shielded belly side rather than the top and I enabled surface attach on the bays. I have them sitting in 4x symmetry on a shaft of structural fuselages ready to be docked to the drive stage. It's my new freighter. All I need now is an endcap for those bays.

Help me Porkjet, you're my only hope.

Hello I am planing to use F.L.A.T-habitat on a planetary surface. Have anyone found any good landing legs for it? Most solutions I have found builds up too much so the entrance end up too high up for Kerbals to enter easily. Due to the animated nature of the part it is not possible to attach a ladder.

This is what I am using atm:

r2qqug.png

Any suggestions are welcome

Hello I am planing to use F.L.A.T-habitat on a planetary surface. Have anyone found any good landing legs for it? Most solutions I have found builds up too much so the entrance end up too high up for Kerbals to enter easily. Due to the animated nature of the part it is not possible to attach a ladder.

http://i62.tinypic.com/r2qqug.png

here is an idea that you can try although i don't have a picture so i am gonna explain it as best as i can...

build a skycrane and cage around the flat hab so that it will be planted firmly on the ground so no new legs needed

http://i62.tinypic.com/r2qqug.png

Just drop it flat on the floor without any landing gear. I made it to be used like that, it has a high crash tolerance.

I will look into how to add a deployable ladder tho eventually.

Porkjet,

I'm trying to put together a ModuleManager file to add a DeadlyReentry ModuleHeatShield to your Mk2 parts. However, doing so requires that I know which "direction" (in regard to the x/y/z axes of the model) corresponds to the bottom. Unfortunately, this seems to vary quite a bit from one module to another among stock parts (e.g., direction = 0, 0, 1 for the stock mk2Fuselage, whereas direction = 0, 0, -1 for the mk3Fuselage, and direction = 0, -1, 0 for the bottom of the mk1pod).

Could you tell me the correct "direction" for the bottom of your Mk2 parts?

Any way you could re-texture and re-configure all of the stock mk2 parts?

Yes. Well... I already did. The stock game has only the mk2 fuselage and adapter and I've covered those. I'm not gonna work on the mk3 system tho.

Any way you could re-texture and re-configure all of the stock mk2 parts?
Porkjet,

I'm trying to put together a ModuleManager file to add a DeadlyReentry ModuleHeatShield to your Mk2 parts. However, doing so requires that I know which "direction" (in regard to the x/y/z axes of the model) corresponds to the bottom. Unfortunately, this seems to vary quite a bit from one module to another among stock parts (e.g., direction = 0, 0, 1 for the stock mk2Fuselage, whereas direction = 0, 0, -1 for the mk3Fuselage, and direction = 0, -1, 0 for the bottom of the mk1pod).

Could you tell me the correct "direction" for the bottom of your Mk2 parts?

Ok sure. Z axis faces in flight direction and Y faces upwards. So downwards is -Y

Hope it works. Orienting stuff properly is allways quite tricky.