PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

Yes. If you want to dock you need monoprop anyway, so why not put some in that empty space and solve two problems, I thought.

Edited by Porkjet

<3 Porkjet <3

- - - Updated - - -

Does the port telescopically extend? I'd be worried about pranging the doors. Great idea to include monoprop.

Yes, and since most people are going to have a tailfil on that side of the plane, a telescoping docking port would ensure no banging of important parts on other important parts.

It's a shame you would be changing the edging in the textures between parts. I wonder if I am at a fault here and everyone just accepts that KSP should be played with non-seamless parts of the most different shapes and colors possible.

Yes, your parts are amazing. I love them, but I wish they were attaching to each other seamlessly, just tickles me that I have to create aircraft made of LEGO bricks. Breaks immersion, or whatever you want to call it :)

Yes. If you want to dock you need monoprop anyway, so why not put some in that empty space and solve two problems, I thought.

Is possible to leave the tanks as separate parts (if stock monoprop tanks don't fit) and leave that space empty? I'm thinking for cases where you want to put other stuff, so you can attach monoprop tanks, batteries or science parts.

Hi Porkjet,

i had a problem using FAR with your delta wing. The wing always broke off just after takeoff at a relatively shallow AoA (~5deg) and slow speed (~160m/s). The problem is you defined a node size in node_attach:

[delta.cfg, line 17] node_attach = 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]1[/COLOR][/B]

I just removed the last parameter (the stock delta wing doesn't have this set either) and it worked. Setting it to 3 also makes the wing much stronger.

I'm not sure what's causing this, the default node size (at least for node_stack) is 1, setting it explicitly to 1 shouldn't change anything. Maybe FAR does it's own calculation on the strength of the connection.

No always true, you can dock without RCS (I'm not cupcake but I manage to do it with his Scythe mk2 by its front docking port).

And your docking port looks nice, as other said, hope it can be extended a bit (Tiberion did this in one of his mod).

Including RCS fuel with a docking port part is a perfectly reasonable assumption, and there's nothing small enough to put in those side parts anyway. Just use a cargo bay.

Hi Porkjet,

i had a problem using FAR with your delta wing. The wing always broke off just after takeoff at a relatively shallow AoA (~5deg) and slow speed (~160m/s). The problem is you defined a node size in node_attach:

[delta.cfg, line 17] node_attach = 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]1[/COLOR][/B]

I just removed the last parameter (the stock delta wing doesn't have this set either) and it worked. Setting it to 3 also makes the wing much stronger.

I'm not sure what's causing this, the default node size (at least for node_stack) is 1, setting it explicitly to 1 shouldn't change anything. Maybe FAR does it's own calculation on the strength of the connection.

That is bizarre. I'd also have to wonder if something in the stock code might be doing something weird like mis-parsing the value when it reads it in the config.

Edit: Oh, wait.... can you tell from the F3 report if it was FAR that broke the part or stock breakage? Because the very latest FAR does do part breakage if it feels that the part was subjected to too much stress.

A wild docking port appears!

Brilliant! I second the notion of making it telescopic in order to gain some additional clearence, but it will either way replace a number of parts I currently use to mimic the concept. Thanks for including the RCS tanks!

Edit: Oh, wait.... can you tell from the F3 report if it was FAR that broke the part or stock breakage? Because the very latest FAR does do part breakage if it feels that the part was subjected to too much stress.

Yep, it "failed due to aerodynamic stresses" (i.e. FAR). I forgot to mention that it only happens while using Fraz86's FAR configs from a couple of pages back. They do seem to be sound however, the config for the delta wing looks very much the same as the official FAR config for the stock wing.

Edited by philly_idle

Hi Porkjet,

[delta.cfg, line 17] node_attach = 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, [B][COLOR=#FF0000]1[/COLOR][/B]

But since the other wings also have a node size of 1 defined does that mean they'll cause problems with Ferram as well, or is it only a problem for the delta wing?

Yep, it "failed due to aerodynamic stresses" (i.e. FAR). I forgot to mention that it only happens while using Fraz86's FAR configs from a couple of pages back. They do seem to be sound however, the config for the delta wing looks very much the same as the official FAR config for the stock wing.

But since all the other wings have a node size of 1 defined does that mean they'll cause problems with Ferram too, or is it limited to the delta wing only?

But since all the other wings have a node size of 1 defined does that mean they'll cause problems with Ferram too, or is it limited to the delta wing only?

Just tested it...it happens to all the wings.

@Porkjet: This is the Elevon issue I told you about earlier in private:

v0XrXNe.jpg

as you can see, the node_attach is located near the center of the elevon, not the side where it is supposed to be attached.

Also, node size are not there in official doc on the KSP wiki, and it seems adding the size can seriously confuse KSP.

Even if it's not the good way to congratulate you, this mod is the add-on B9 needed (yes your mod is at the same level for me, without a single doubt). It's so amazing.

I specially enjoy the 2 mk2 cockpit. Wow.

Any chance you'll be making a mk3 set, considering TT is discussing taking his ball and going home?

Honestly, the MK3 form factor is badly shaped all around, and considering there's so few stock parts for it anyway, it seems like it might be a better idea to ignore it and make a better large spaceplane form factor.

Then again... Porkjet is pretty talented, so it isn't impossible that he could make MK3 parts that actually look good.