What's your "YES!" moment when you research a part in career?

Sesni

Unless you want to add more single-man cabins to your orbiter to get extra power
The Mk1 command pod has 160 times the mass of the first battery type, but only stores 1/2 the electrical power. I think you're better advised spending the research points on batteries. :)

batteries for me...

before I got batteries, I'd strap a medium fuel tank horizontally with 2 opposing liquid fuel rockets on top of every craft I flew, just to create enough power to send one or two more experiments of data once the main boosters had run out, or I landed somewhere on Kerbin.

Next, I'm gunning for struts...

Edited by User Unrelated

When I first began my career save, I was cursing the lack of bigger engines, struts, fuel lines, batteries, solar panels, docking ports, ladders and asas. But I've found that by the time I've unlocked each one, I'd figured out better designs so that I could manage without. I do still use all of those things, of course, and they make my ships better and easier to fly, but they feel like luxuries, rather than necessities now. For example, I'll extend my solar panels out of a sense of good practice, but the four small battery packs I carry would be perfectly adequate for my whole mission to the Mun since I now return almost all my data, rather than transmitting.

The parts that I've been most pleased to unlock are the extra scientific instruments. In fairness though, I haven't been further than Minmus yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.