[1.0.5] Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination (v1.2.2 - 11/15/15)

Why485

The idea of tweakable nav lights in this mod fills me with the greatest of joys.

I've been using your little point lights for it all along :D

Then I'd just beg for a 'headlight' style peice - clipping spotlights into the front of my rover works, but doing it every single time does make one wonder if it couldn't be done better... I mean, the Mk1 Spotlight has the right light profile, but something designed to be flush on the front of a rover. Possibly square, like a car/truck headlight. Mmm. Tasty. ;)

That is awesome! can't wait t see what you do for nav lights. Not sure if you've ever heard of t, but another mod with a similar idea was ASET stack inline lights. Do you think you could give this functionality to those parts? They used to have to through a custom module as well, but it fell to lack of maintenance. Either way great work!

If all you want is to be able to change the colors you can use my mod.

For the four way light it may be easiest just to lock all four lights to mirror their colors off of the first one, hiding the additional tweak-ables.

Plz no I like the the ability to have 4 different light colors

Nope not what I want.

What do you want then? I'm not really clear on what you're getting at with the stack inline lights functionality, unless you're just talking about making similar inline lights.

- - - Updated - - -

For the four way light it may be easiest just to lock all four lights to mirror their colors off of the first one, hiding the additional tweak-ables.

Without putting any thought into it, I'm not really sure of an easy way to do that because of the way the light module works. I think I would have to write a much more involved custom light if I wanted to merge them all into one light.

- - - Updated - - -

I just released the updated color and default light settings to Kerbal Stuff and updated the OP a bit to reflect the changes made to it since the initial release.

The Curse link is currently out of date. ObsessedWithKSP, if you can update the link and let me know I'll update the OP to reflect it.

What do you want then? I'm not really clear on what you're getting at with the stack inline lights functionality, unless you're just talking about making similar inline lights.

I wanted to know if you could make your new module work with the stack inline lights from that mod. They used to have the model change color like you changed your lights to do. They lost that functionality when they went from a custom plugin to the stock module. I don't care about changing crap in flight I don't want any more menus on parts in flight I just want the model to match the color coming out. What you did to the surface lights I wanted on the stack inline lights. Didn't know how possible it was.

Edited by Svm420

Because that mod uses the same KSP emissive material, my module has the same effect on it that it does on my own lights. All you need to do is change the ModuleLight plugin name to SurfaceLight, and then add the line "startingRGB = 0.8, 0.85, 1" to the module.

Here's an example using the inline 1.25m part (part02-125). The bolded lines are the lines I changed/added:

MODULE
{
[B]name = SurfaceLight[/B]
lightName = SIL0225DCLS
useAnimationDim = true
lightBrightenSpeed = 2.5
lightDimSpeed = 2.5
animationName = SIL0225turnON
resourceAmount = 0.0015
useResources = true
[b]startingRGB = 0.8, 0.85, 1[/b]
}

I changed the light to red in the VAB to show that it works.

cDj2ZT0.png

Edited by Why485

Because that mod uses the same KSP emissive material, my module has the same effect on it that it does on my own lights. All you need to do is change the ModuleLight plugin name to SurfaceLight, and then add the line "startingRGB = 0.8, 0.85, 1" to the module.

Here's an example using the inline 1.25m part (part02-125). The bolded lines are the lines I changed/added:

MODULE
{
[B]name = SurfaceLight[/B]
lightName = SIL0225DCLS
useAnimationDim = true
lightBrightenSpeed = 2.5
lightDimSpeed = 2.5
animationName = SIL0225turnON
resourceAmount = 0.0015
useResources = true
[B]startingRGB = 0.8, 0.85, 1[/B]
}

I changed the light to red in the VAB to show that it works.

http://i.imgur.com/cDj2ZT0.png

Perfect I had hoped it would be that easy thank you! :D

Looks great!

PS: you made a typo on the kerbalstuff short description

Small stock-alike lights that sit flush for lighting up you stations and ships.

Looks great!

PS: you made a typo on the kerbalstuff short description

Heh, it's fixed now. Thanks.

I've never been too happy with the nav light mods that are out there, so I spent the better part of today working on my own.

The big difference between these and all others is that the lights actually glow (using a custom billboard). This means that I can scale them with distance so that you can still see nav lights from afar like you should be able to. The current ones are just lights, which doesn't do you any good when you barely see the plane anyway.

There's still a bunch of functionality left to add like blinking and whatnot, but I'm really happy that the core of it is working great.

Here's a video of it in action.

http://gfycat.com/ScaryClearBobwhite

Here's a fancy Imgur album, but you'll need to look at the album on Imgur to be able to really see it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Why485

FYI, there's a bug where if you load a saved vessel in the editor, it won't load the saved color of the surface lights. I'm working on a fix for that right now.

- - - Updated - - -

That bug has now been fixed and the download on Kerbal Stuff is now updated to 1.2.2.

Update on the nav lights.

I've added values so that nav lights (and in the future strobes) can have limited angles. I'm surprised that no flight sims seem to model this, but depending on the angle of the plane, there are certain lights you shouldn't see.

For example, from the front you should see only the red and green, but no rear white. If they are flying right to left, you should see red. If they are flying left to right, you should see green. If they are head on, you should see both colors.

Here's a video

http://gfycat.com/ElatedIllegalKestrel

It's a bit hard to see in a small webm due to compression. It's much more visible ingame and in screenshots.

20mCfAF.png

Edited by Why485

[quote name='jlcarneiro']These nav lights look great in the demo, but they don't show up in my installation. Am I doing something wrong or are they in a different file?[/QUOTE]

They're not released yet. I'm still working on them. I fixed a bunch of bugs, added a lot of UI usability improvements, and got strobe functionality working, but there's some bugs I've noticed with persistence and changing crafts. They're getting pretty close to release. I [url=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139602-WIP-1-0-5-Surface-Nav-Lights]opened another thread in the Add On Developments forum[/url] so I can post updates there rather than spamming it here. It's kind of grown into its own mod at this point.

[quote name='ObsessedWithKSP']Curse updated to 1.2.2, waiting for approval.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for keeping it up to date!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, is there any way to change the colour of the lights after launch? I've been sticking to a system, and I noticed that a bunch of lights had reverted to default in the editor after I'd already docked. I edited my save file to change them, but if there's something simpler I'm missing, I'd love to know.

• 4 weeks later...