[1.0.5] Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination (v1.2.2 - 11/15/15)

Why485

Download from Kerbal Stuff

Download from Curse

What is it?

Self-illumination is something that I find lacking in stock Kerbal Space Program. I find the stock lights to be too large and clumsy to use for simple self-lighting.

To solve this, I made three small lights with a simple stock-alike design. Two of the lights are loosely based off unreleased parts by ClairaLyrae for KSPX.

These lights are integrated into the tech tree and are unlocked at the same node as the rest of the stock lights.

BY DEFAULT, KSP ALLOWS ONLY 8 SIMULTANEOUS LIGHT SOURCES IN A SINGLE AREA. IF SOME OF YOUR LIGHTS AREN'T SHOWING CORRECTLY, RAISE THE "PIXEL LIGHT COUNT" IN SETTINGS.

Thanks to peteletroll for maintaining the mod with minor fixes and optimizations.

Installation

Extract the Gamedata folder into your KSP directory. The Source folder can be safely disregarded unless you're into that kind of thing.

How to Use

The three lights function the same as any other lights in the game, except that they have a default value that is no longer pure white.

Be wary of the per pixel light setting as it may prevent lights from showing. Be aware that the 4-way light counts as 4 separate lights, even though it is only one part.

Here are the three new light parts with the two originals for scale:

9I8DWJ5.gif

U5ziXI5.gif

PRhfSCf.png

2015-11-12_00-09-36.gif

Changelog

- Fixed bug where light color was not correctly restored when loading a ship in the editor.

- Refactored code for expansion (future development of navlights)

- Removed extraneous debug text

- Lights now use a custom light module called SurfaceLight

- The surface lights now default to a color set in the parts file

- The color of the light on the model now chanegs to reflect the light's color

1.1 (by peteletroll)

- Lower part temperature tolerance to match the stock lights

- Converted textures to DDS and lowered their size to make them more efficient

- Initial release

License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode

Edited by Why485

Is that this option in game:

Pixel Light Count

Controls how many Pixel Lights can be in the scene at any time. See Unity documentation for more details.

Default:8

"BY DEFAULT, KSP ALLOWS ONLY 8 SIMULTANEOUS LIGHT SOURCES. IF SOME OF YOUR LIGHTS AREN'T SHOWING UP, YOU MAY BE HITTING THE LIGHT SOURCE LIMIT AND SHOULD RAISE IT."

BY DEFAULT, KSP ALLOWS ONLY 8 SIMULTANEOUS LIGHT SOURCES. IF SOME OF YOUR LIGHTS AREN'T SHOWING UP, YOU MAY BE HITTING THE LIGHT SOURCE LIMIT AND SHOULD RAISE IT.

That's not quite how Pixel Light Count works. That attribute determines how many separate light sources may illuminate a particular spot - not a part or the entire scene.

That said, looks nice. Thank you, and I look forward to trying it out.

Why485: You missed your chance! You should have called them Stockalights!

It seems so obvious in retrospect!

Add colour lights?

I've been thinking about doing navlight style lights, possibly including the plugin code so that they will blink correctly but there's already a mod that does that so I'm not sure it's necessary.

are these based on the meshes for the light Claira was planning to add in the next update of KSPX, back before she got hired?

See OP, a couple of the lights are indeed based off the unreleased lights from KSPX.

That's not quite how Pixel Light Count works. That attribute determines how many separate light sources may illuminate a particular spot - not a part or the entire scene.

That said, looks nice. Thank you, and I look forward to trying it out.

That actually explains something I've been wondering myself, because I could have sworn I've gone over the light limit but still seen lights anyway. It wasn't as consistent as I thought, but raising the light count certainly made all lights work correctly. I'll change that warning a little bit to make it more accurate.

On another note - your Nick sounds familiar. Have you been modding for other SciFi-games in the past? Freelancer for example?

Yes, I used to do a ton of Freelancer modding, mostly in effects but also in other places. I did a lot of work with FoxUnit01 on 88 Flak and made my own mod, Itano Circus. Your name sounds familiar too, but I can't recall specifically where.

I think you can guess what my next download is! I always thought smaller lights would be nice to have. By the way, are they integrated into the tech tree? It is okay if they aren't, but I wondering.

I forgot to mention it anywhere, but yes they should be integrated into the tech tree.

Edited by Why485