[1.0.5] Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination (v1.2.2 - 11/15/15)

Why485

Yep, still good to go in 0.25; parts that don't depend on plugins are tough to break. I still use parts from some old 0.17-era part packs that still hold their own, though I've had to tweak the configs a bit over time.

• 1 month later...
What's the word on 0.90 compatibility?

In 0.90, it's like this. NOTE: The very minor issues noted below might have been pre-existing---I never bothered to test them before.

• The lights load in the game with no problem
  • The lights turn on and off with the light button stock action group no problem
  • Their colors can be adjusted no problem
  • For the directional spotlight, the rotation keys Q & E rotate the light as the A & D keys do on all other parts, and vice versa. IOW, you stick the light on the side of a rocket and it's pointing down. You want it to point right. With any other part (say a Sepratron), you'd hit D for this. But with this light, you need to hit E.
  • The 4-way light has separate right-click buttons and action group actions to turn each separate light on and off individually. However, the first 3 of these buttons/actions don't work, and the 4th turns all 4 lights on and off together, so this light is really all or nothing, just like any other light. However, you can still change the colors for each light separately.

So, for the most part, this mod works just fine in 0.90. The spotlight rotation isn't really an issue---you can still rotate it any which way, you just use different keys than with other parts to do the same thing. The only really broken thing is the lack of individual switches for the 4-way light.

• The 4-way light has separate right-click buttons and action group actions to turn each separate light on and off individually. However, the first 3 of these buttons/actions don't work, and the 4th turns all 4 lights on and off together, so this light is really all or nothing, just like any other light. However, you can still change the colors for each light separately.

Mine has always been this way, not sure about the rotation though.

• 4 weeks later...

As ever, part mods that don't require plugins are extremely resilient to KSP version changes (don't quote me on this, but I'd surprised if an update broke them from now until final release). The last KSP version to break parts was, I think, 0.15. Unless Squad change the way parts are made and loaded etc, any part mod is likely to never need an update.

TL;DR - green light on 0.90.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Now that 1.0 is out, I'm actually curious to revisit this and see if there's anything worth changing to make it work better in a 1.0 environment.

Awesome. I forgot about this mod, going to subscribe to thread and add to download list.

Now that 1.0 is out, I'm actually curious to revisit this and see if there's anything worth changing to make it work better in a 1.0 environment.

This may still be a thing:

anyone using these in 0.23.5 know why they seem to produce a variable EC usage rate? With them activated my usage amount stutters back and forth a bit. Nothing major, but if there's a simple fix I'd still like to know about it

Also the ability to change the light colors outside of the VAB would be nice

• 4 weeks later...
"When you think your perfectly functional rocket looks ugly, all you need to do is add... MOAR LIGHTS!" -Bob Fitch

This is true. Just like making awesome home electronics stuff; more LED's make it cooler.

See: Gaming PC's. They're ridiculous, but awesome!

(says the guy with a featureless, flat black box PC)

But seriously, I use this mod specifically to make my s**t look awesome. And it works.

• 1 month later...

I installed this beautiful mod, and I updated it a little: I converted the textures to dds, and I made the parts physicsless, like the stock lights. It works smoothly on my 1.0.4 install. I'd love to merge this changes with the upstream distribution: the physics update is especially important on large ships (less lag). What's the right way to do it?

I installed this beautiful mod, and I updated it a little: I converted the textures to dds, and I made the parts physicsless, like the stock lights. It works smoothly on my 1.0.4 install. I'd love to merge this changes with the upstream distribution: the physics update is especially important on large ships (less lag). What's the right way to do it?

While waiting to figure that out, can you share your updated version?