[1.0.5] Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination (v1.2.2 - 11/15/15)

Why485

52 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

Are older versions of this available? I'm looking for a version that works with .90

Have you TRIED the current version?...This is a relatively simple mod, and may be backwards compat that far, or even earlier...

On 1/9/2016 at 6:12 PM, Stone Blue said:

Have you TRIED the current version?...This is a relatively simple mod, and may be backwards compat that far, or even earlier...

Yes, I have TRIED the current version, the parts show up but are pure white, I think somthing with the textures was changed in the newest version, that's why I'm looking for the older version.

9 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

Yes, I have TRIED the current version, the parts show up but are pure white, I think somthing with the textures was changed in the newest version, that's why I'm looking for the older version.

That makes sense, as pre-1.0 versions of KSP don't support DDS textures.  Look for Sarbian's old DDSLoader mod - if you install it the textures should work.

Ahhh... My bad... I didnt connect that you wanted it for 0.90, which is pre-DDS.... The current version has .dds textures...

I've got the 1.0 version of this mod for KSP 1.0...It should work for 0.90, as it wasnt converted to .dds till v1.1...

I'll PM you a link to it... (I'll host it on my GoogleDrive for a couple days, then I'll take it down... So grab it quick)

15 minutes ago, blowfish said:

That makes sense, as pre-1.0 versions of KSP don't support DDS textures.  Look for Sarbian's old DDSLoader mod - if you install it the textures should work.

Doh!... I forgot DDSLoader could be used as well...

• 1 month later...

I installed your MOD and I love the lights however, and I don't know if this is because of that "8 light sources" thing, none of my Kerbal's helmet lights work anymore.

I uninstalled the mod, but the helmet lights still don't work!!!  

Can anyone help me?  Also, would you please write out how to change the settings files so that I can have more than 8 light sources?

Thanks,

SGT Charlie

USAG Humphrey, South Korea, Kerbal Homeworld

1 hour ago, Sgt Charlie said:

I installed your MOD and I love the lights however, and I don't know if this is because of that "8 light sources" thing, none of my Kerbal's helmet lights work anymore.

I uninstalled the mod, but the helmet lights still don't work!!!  

Can anyone help me?  Also, would you please write out how to change the settings files so that I can have more than 8 light sources?

Thanks,

SGT Charlie

Main menu > settings > gameplay tab or one of the others > set the 'pixel light count' to wherever (I set it to max).

The instructions on how to fix are right in the OP......

Yes, after reading the thread again, I figured it out.  

Thanks for the rapid response.  I don't have any Kerbals in space right now, so I didn't see if that fixed my "no helmet lights" problem I was having.

Great mod.  Love your lights!

SGT Charlie

2 hours ago, Sgt Charlie said:

So I still need assistance. I don't know if anyone can help, but I started with a completely clean install; added a limited amount of mods, including this one, and still don't have lights on my Kerbals helmets? 

Thanks for any help that can be provided. 

Kerbal helmet lights are stock and have nothing to do with this mod, which only adds parts.  The Kerbals' helmet lights can be activated by pressing L.

On 2/23/2016 at 11:03 PM, blowfish said:

Kerbal helmet lights are stock and have nothing to do with this mod, which only adds parts.  The Kerbals' helmet lights can be activated by pressing L.

OMG... I'm going to freak out if you're right! I've been pressing "U", the default for lights. 

Sheesh! Thanks man... Don't I feel like an idiot!

Edited by Frybert
Fixed formatting.

• 4 weeks later...

@Why485 Would you be interested in a simple MM.CFG that replaces all stock ModuleLight with your plugin module? (I created one while I was working on fixes to the Stack Inline Lights mod.) It scans for any parts with the stock light module and replaces it. It also inserts an initial color setting (using your default yellow-ish off-white color). Not all lights use emissives, but the ones that do benefit from this (in my testing B9 Aerospace's rackmount lights look much better).

Thank you for a simple but useful mod and plugin... That also brought life back to another mod for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:52 PM, Apollo13 said:

FYI

Current version kinda works with 1.1 pre-release.  Lights are white and always on.  Cannot change colors.

//CSB

That's because pretty much any plugin-based mod needs to either recompile with the 1.1 resources or get re-written to be 1.1-compliant. Don't think the light module got changed much, so hopefully it's just a recompile.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:29 PM, nli2work said:

1.1 caps pixel shading lights at 64. :/

That hasn't changed, as far as I know. The 1.0.x and even 0.90 was limits to 64 light sources.

@Why485 For future features, do you thing it would be hard to have so that EC-usage scales with overall color brightness?

As my earlier posts detail (see above), I've modified the ASET lights to use your light module. However, they are STUPIDLY bright (blindingly so). Their EC usage is also minuscule. (Yes, it's supposedly LED, but the combination of brightness and throw distance are absurd for omnidirectional lights.) I was thinking of increasing their EC usage, but I've been turning their brightness down (somewhere in the 0.1-0.25 range per color) when using them for self-illumination. The color settings double as brightness control, so I was hoping you could do something like add all the current color settings together, divide by 3, then multiply that by the EC usage (which is now a Max EC usage rating in practice.)

As far as I know, lights use the same amount of power regardless of apparent brightness due to color settings. It may not be worthwhile, I suppose, but maybe something to think about.

Actually, would it be possible to add an in-flight color/brightness tweakable? Maybe as even a module attribute flag? ("inflightTweakable = true/false")

EDIT: For anyone that cares, here's the generic MM.cfg I made to set any and all parts to use the SurfaceLight module:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLight],!MODULE[SurfaceLight]]:NEEDS[SurfaceLights]:Final
{    
    @MODULE[ModuleLight]
	{
	@name = SurfaceLight
	startingRGB = 1.0, 0.9, 0.8
	}
}

Adjust the default color as you like (the "startingRGB" attribute; I just copied and pasted the setting Why485 uses). You can stick the file you create anywhere in GameData and it should work fine.

Edited by StahnAileron

On 2/23/2016 at 10:03 PM, blowfish said:

OMG... I'm going to freak out if you're right! I've been pressing "U", the default for lights. 

Sheesh! Thanks man... Don't I feel like an idiot!

Don't be.  It's kinda dumb that the Lights button is inconsistent:  U for vessels, L for Kerbals.

4 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

Don't be.  It's kinda dumb that the Lights button is inconsistent:  U for vessels, L for Kerbals.

Might want to check what you quoted ... I don't think @Sgt Charlie will actually see this because that post was formatted incorrectly.

17 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

It's because by default, the in-game commands for RCS translations are mapped to IJKLMO (or something like that). The "L" key is spoken for in a vessel. For a kerbal, it isn't (they don't/can't translate).

That said, yeah, I hated the control scheme, so I remapped my keys so "L" was light for everything. Translation controls were ported over to my NUMPAD instead. It has a decent layout for it to be more intuitive for me and it's a bit more comfortable with my hands spaced apart more. Also closer to my mouse.

Though I have no idea why they decided to switch lights to "L" for kerbals. You think they'd just keep "U" for consistency in the default scheme.

Edited by StahnAileron

On 4/4/2016 at 2:52 AM, Apollo13 said:

FYI

Current version kinda works with 1.1 pre-release.  Lights are white and always on.  Cannot change colors.

//CSB

Hi,

Wanted some tiny and cute lights for my ships, so I quickly did a "dirty" fix for this mod for KSP pre v1.1 :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxw7gimcr1m13a2/SurfaceLights_devtemp_forKSP_preV1.1.zip?dl=0

Install original mod and just replace the "SurfaceLights.dll" with this one.

Here is the changelog along the usual references changes for KSP 1.1 :

Spoiler

See next page for the new one.

SurfaceLight.cs    Thu Apr 07 10:22:22 2016
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
 using System.Collections.Generic;
 using System.Linq;
 using System.Text;
-using System.Threading.Tasks;
+using System.Threading;

using UnityEngine;

@@ -45,7 +45,7 @@

new protected virtual void Update()
         {     
-            base.Update();
+            base.FixedUpdate();

// Setting material color is expensive. Only do this in the editor where light
             // color can change, and only do it when the color has changed.

SurfaceNavLight.cs    Thu Apr 07 10:22:22 2016
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
 using System.Linq;
 using System.Text;
+using System.Threading;

using UnityEngine;

Edited by Athlonic

6 hours ago, Athlonic said:

Hi,

Wanted some tiny and cute lights for my ships, so I quickly did a "dirty" fix for this mod for KSP pre v1.1 :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxw7gimcr1m13a2/SurfaceLights_devtemp_forKSP_preV1.1.zip?dl=0

Install original mod and just replace the "SurfaceLights.dll" with this one.

Here is the changelog along the usual references changes for KSP 1.1 :

Hide contents

SurfaceLight.cs    Thu Apr 07 10:22:22 2016
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
 using System.Linq;
 using System.Text;
+using System.Threading;

using UnityEngine;

@@ -45,7 +45,7 @@

new protected virtual void Update()
         {     
-            base.Update();
+            base.FixedUpdate();

// Setting material color is expensive. Only do this in the editor where light
             // color can change, and only do it when the color has changed.

SurfaceNavLight.cs    Thu Apr 07 10:22:22 2016
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
 using System.Linq;
 using System.Text;
+using System.Threading;

using UnityEngine;

Why are you calling base.FixedUpdate() from Update() ?  Those methods really shouldn't be calling each other (Update should be used for graphical updates, FixedUpdate should be used for physics updates).

9 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Why are you calling base.FixedUpdate() from Update() ?  Those methods really shouldn't be calling each other (Update should be used for graphical updates, FixedUpdate should be used for physics updates).

You are right, but I had no other choice.

Update() seems to no longer being part of ModuleLight class which this mod belong. This is also why I called this fix "dirty" ;)

But it works ^^