Why isn't the ion tech listed under propulsion?

Galileo Kerbonaut

Hi all,

Today, for the first time ever, I took a look at the ion engines. The first (stupid :P ) question that comes to mind is: why are these listed under the utility tab and not under propulsion? Is there a good reason for this!? Doesn't it count as a propulsion system and if so, why not?

I never noticed this before because I never was interested in them.

Ehhh they are listed under utility because they aren't really a major source of propulsion. They are used pretty much exclusively for small probes and for orbit corrections and adjustments. Yes, you can use them to navigate the Kerbol system, but you have to have the patience to do the long burns and its is more ineffective then simply using NERVAs.

I agree that they should be under propulsion. I assume they are not for the same reason that wheels are not: they don't use liquid fuel (yes, they use tanks of Xenon, but not "liquid fuel" as such). Everything in the propulsion tab is somehow related to liquid fuel (which is, I assume, why the fuel lines are there and not under utility).

I like em in utility to be honest. Yes, its a form of propulsion, but not in the same league as any of the other options under the prop tab.

If I had my way the RCS tanks would also be in utility, though the rcs thrusters being control makes some sense.

I always assumed the ion to be in utility just to drop a little hint to the player that they are ill-suited as a main propulsion mechanism.

I agree that they should be under propulsion. I assume they are not for the same reason that wheels are not: they don't use liquid fuel (yes, they use tanks of Xenon, but not "liquid fuel" as such). Everything in the propulsion tab is somehow related to liquid fuel (which is, I assume, why the fuel lines are there and not under utility).

srb's do not use liquid fuel either

You know what the ironic part is? The ion engines in ksp are horrendous overpowered, by a factor of about 1000 :)

The other rocket engines in the game are actually a little worse than the state of the art engines (high end Russian liquid fueled rocket engines have better performance and weigh less, the NERVA rocket is worse than prototype nuclear engines) but the ion engine has about 1000 times more thrust than the real thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.