An in-depth look at how the ISS crew come back home on a Soyuz

Deadweasel

Despicable Me 2

That^

Also, I'm TOTALLY going out for Halloween next year dressed as an evil mutant minion, specifically so I can run around yelling "BAAAAA!" in a crazed manner at kids. This will end well. :D

Also also, thanks for the shuffle vexx32!

Somehow those solid fuel braking engines look like a nice to have in KSP ...

an lightweight attachment, similar to a docking ring, that produces a similar thrust like one or more sepatrons, for something like 1-3 secs.

Could serve several purposes for our creations, like propelling the capsule away from the main rocket in case of an emrgency (with other words, as some kind of escape tower)

but also in similar use as they are used in reality, during descent

Looking at the shots of the inside of the capsule it's amazing how accurate the Big Bang Theory (TV show) was when they had the plot about the trip to the space station. They built a set to represent the inside of the capsule and it looks pretty close to right (although they chose a camera angle designed to avoid showing the complex instrument panel so they didn't have to build it.)

I thought the braking retro-rockets were like a ten-second burn or something! Not BOOM and thats it. That was a fantastic video.

I was a bit surprised by that too! Seems like quite a bit of complexity to have to deal with to keep from breaking astronauts, but that final *FWAAMP* of the arresting rockets still looks violent enough to hurt anyway.

Cool video. They never did explain why the Soyuz capsule was tumbling before reentry (which concerned the ESA astronaut). Do they just count on it righting itself after entry starts because of the offset CG, or were there some automatic thrusters that did some adjusting while these guys were frantically consulting the users manual about the problem?

Most likely a combination of the CoG offset, automatic guidance, and hull design.

It's never mentioned if there was actually a section in the manual covering such an event, but I'd wager it's one of those things that's as automated and out of their control as the final landing procedure anyway.

I was a bit surprised by that too! Seems like quite a bit of complexity to have to deal with to keep from breaking astronauts, but that final *FWAAMP* of the arresting rockets still looks violent enough to hurt anyway.

Suicide burns are most efficient, this is even more true in an atmosphere as your maximum speed during the final part of the reentry is terminal speed.

Try it during landings in KSP, it will also be an pretty simple and robust system, radar attitude measurements to trigger the solid braking rockets.

This is RSA/ESA's response to "Gravity" movie :D This is not a Hollywood, it's a real thing!

But to be honest, this is not the first public video of reentry - there were several before it - they just didn't receive such publicity.

Yeah, when they said "Hidden retro rockets" I was thinking something similar. I was not ready for the bomb like blast that happened.

Also when the talked about the de-orbit burn lasting 4 minutes I thought "Wow, that is a really long burn"...Too much KSP I think.

Am I the only one who thought the thing exploded on touchdown? I don't think you can use the word "burn" for the landing thrusters. More like "detonate."

Hehehe actually I might have thought that too, if they hadn't shown the automatic seat flipper thing actuating beforehand.

Am I the only one who thought the thing exploded on touchdown? I don't think you can use the word "burn" for the landing thrusters. More like "detonate."

Well, the first time I saw it I thought I was just a large cloud of dust that was created by a hard impact of the craft on the soil ...

then I looked closer and saw the flames of the thrusters :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.