[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I've seen it a couple of times, it looks like its a center of mass bug. When I got the crazy center of mass shift I didn't think to grab the log and screenshots but I can say that I have only gotten it with multiple chutes on the craft. I'll load one of the rockets that did it and see if it's repeatable.

I've encountered the dissapearing (or rather running away from the view) bug also.

Here's a link to the log http://tny.cz/b9565a86

I've tried to temporarily remove other mods to shorten it, bur didn't have much luck. For reference, the ship in question is called 'Explorer I'. All I did was load up the ship via the tracking station, watch it fly away from my camera within seconds, then quit KSP. Additionally, I don't think there are any realchutes parts on this particular craft (could be mistaken).

I can provide a save file as well if it's helpful, though I certainly don't have a nice isolated case where this is the only mod.

Okay guys, I cannot for the life of me reproduce the CoM bug.

Here's what I did:

Literally just did a full fledged mission to the Mun. Sent a full three mans pod there, atop of it a Double Cone Chute with the 1.25m Combo preset. Tried to quicksave/quickload on the way, nothing broke, no NullRefs were thrown. Got in the Mun's SOI, no problem either, and no problem any further when quicksaving/quickloading. Landed, on the Mun, messed around a bit (been so long seriously), then came back home. Landed perfectly, chutes did very well. Then I reverted back to a previous quicksave in orbit, went back to the SpaceCenter, came back, to the ship, no problem still. Landed again, no problems.

So yeah, not sure what's up with that. Can someone try something similar with the same part/preset and tell me if it does anything weird? Either I fixed it without even trying or knowing, either the RealChute specific parts can be ruled out of this bug.

If anyone can reproduce that bug easily, I would really love a step by step guide on how to. Parts, where to go, everything you have, and with as less mods as you can, I only had RealChute on my install.

Integration to Blizzy's Toolbar is not happening. I can make it hideable through a keypress, but that's as far as I'll go for now.

Could you maybe expose the x,y coordinates in the cfg file? I don't mind it on screen, I would just prefer to move it. (And I'd also like a pony if possible.)

Ok, I have a craft that I can get the problem to repeat on but I don't have anywhere to host the files right now. I used four 1.25 main cones on my boosters and if I arm them during the assent the center of mass will wig out and the rocket will be quite a distance above the camera POV. They were created with 4X symmetry in the editor:

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute #0 Scale: 1.400627
(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute #0 Scale: 2.917974
(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RealChute.Parachute.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealChute.RealChuteModule.<OnStart>b__25 (RealChute.Parachute p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RealChute.Parachute].ForEach (System.Action`1 action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealChute.RealChuteModule.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at RealChute.RealChuteModule.<OnStart>b__25 (RealChute.Parachute p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RealChute.Parachute].ForEach (System.Action`1 action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealChute.RealChuteModule.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by wiviking

Could you maybe expose the x,y coordinates in the cfg file? I don't mind it on screen, I would just prefer to move it. (And I'd also like a pony if possible.)

It currently can be hid permanently on my build by pressing the 'h' key in the SpaceCenter. If I were to make it moveable, it would be through click/drag, though I'm not in the knowledge of how to do that yet, so I'll leave that for a future update.

Ok, I have a craft that I can get the problem to repeat on but I don't have anywhere to host the files right now. I used four 1.25 main cones on my boosters and if I arm them during the assent the center of mass will wig out and the rocket will be quite a distance above the camera POV. They were created with 4X symmetry in the editor:

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute #0 Scale: 1.400627

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute #0 Scale: 2.917974

Yeah Dropbox can work. Else there are a few free no subscription file sharing websites. The full log would also be nice.

Having the same bug. The nosecone on the top also converts itself from a 0.625 drogue to a 1.25m stock randomly during the flight. Happened every time I tried... four times? I had a quicksave right after mun transfer burn and it happened every time I made orbit around Mun. I gave up and returned Jeb to Kerbin and it also happened shortly after parachute deployment, fortunately I could land on the navball anyways.

Craft File

http://www./view/cj7j1c5hz2fr4rp/Mun_Lander_Proton.craft

Mods List

http://www./view/64q5kb2lvlav1gk/Untitled1.png

ZIP file with screenshots and log here: Dropbox Link

Edit: Forget to add that this was KSPx64 and that the Camera POV returned to normal as soon as I detached the offending boosters.

Okay that was weird. Tried your craft file. Bug happened. Went back to VAB, replaced parts by new ones, identical, pressed modified a thing, pressed aply to counterparts, retried craft, no more bug. Went back to the VAB, did the same, but did not apply to counterparts, bug is back.

Oh you've got to be kidding me this is caused by how KSP handles symmetry parts <.<

Having the same bug. The nosecone on the top also converts itself from a 0.625 drogue to a 1.25m stock randomly during the flight. Happened every time I tried... four times? I had a quicksave right after mun transfer burn and it happened every time I made orbit around Mun. I gave up and returned Jeb to Kerbin and it also happened shortly after parachute deployment, fortunately I could land on the navball anyways.

Craft File

http://www./view/cj7j1c5hz2fr4rp/Mun_Lander_Proton.craft

Mods List

http://www./view/64q5kb2lvlav1gk/Untitled1.png

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogs.

Since I was only really using them as nose cones I left them default and just slapped them on. Now that I think about it the other time it happened was on a craft that I just put a pair of the standard radial chutes on for the "test" contract. From your post I am guessing that always applying settings to the counterparts is the work around for now.

Since I was only really using them as nose cones I left them default and just slapped them on. Now that I think about it the other time it happened was on a craft that I just put a pair of the standard radial chutes on for the "test" contract. From your post I am guessing that always applying settings to the counterparts is the work around for now.

Could you confirm that applying to countrparts fixes the problem?

For some reason KSP is locking up when it gets to the REAL Chutes parts. I am running 64, and have no clue why. When I reinstall the previous version of Real Chutes I don't have this problem. Odd.

For some reason KSP is locking up when it gets to the REAL Chutes parts. I am running 64, and have no clue why. When I reinstall the previous version of Real Chutes I don't have this problem. Odd.

look at the previous pages, redownload and it should be fixed

Also, I just found what caused the bug.

Do you guys all remember a long time ago when symmetry parts would have an editor window with all fields blank? And red everywhere? Whell this bug is caused by the same KSP bug. I guess I have to find a workaround to prevent it frfom happening, but to make sure it doesn't happen, simply make sure to press "apply to symmetry counterparts"

Has the fix for the stack chutes been released yet or is it still pending? Just downloaded 1.2.0 (according to the version file) from the OP and still getting the issue. And yes, I fully deleted the original folder before copying in...

Has the fix for the stack chutes been released yet or is it still pending? Just downloaded 1.2.0 (according to the version file) from the OP and still getting the issue. And yes, I fully deleted the original folder before copying in...

Unfortunately not, I'll package an update with all current bugs fixed ASAP.

Current status: COM bug fixed. No more symmetry parts weirdness on my side.

Alright folks, I think I nailed the last issues down, and so here it is, v1.2.1 is up.

Changelog:

July 20th 2014
v1.2.1
-Fixed bug where the stack chute would never work at all
-Fixed bug where crafts with symmetry parts would have a CoM offset bug and not function properly upon reload if the stats had not been applied to counterparts
-Fixed stock parts MM configs to work properly with this update
-SpaceCenter RealChute icon can now be hid by pressing 'h'

It's safer but not forced to delete the previous RealChute folder before installing this version. Also, all missions and craft files with broken chutes will not be salvaged by this and will need to be terminated.

Other than that, I think this should be good for a while and that I'll be able to finally rest a little.

Cheers! :)

Hi Chris, it definitely looks like I'm still missing something with my attempt to fix the invisible parachute oddity in my SDHI Service Module pack, even with RC 1.2.1 (32 / 64 bit).

Found a relevant log entry for the editor scene:

------------------- initializing editor mode... ------------------

editor started

Untitled Space Craft - Untitled Space Craft

deleting part landerCabinSmall(Clone)

[B][RealChute]: Could not find the canopy_main parachute model within library[/B]

[B][RealChute]: Could not find the canopy_drogue parachute model within library[/B]

SDHI.ParaDock.1.ClampOTron(Clone) added to ship - part count: 2

stage count is: 0

I'm quite certain the parachute models do exist, and Blender / Unity concurs. I'll see if reverting some .MUs from older versions of SDHI SMS helps.

Hi Chris, it definitely looks like I'm still missing something with my attempt to fix the invisible parachute oddity in my SDHI Service Module pack, even with RC 1.2.1 (32 / 64 bit).

Found a relevant log entry for the editor scene:

------------------- initializing editor mode... ------------------

editor started

Untitled Space Craft - Untitled Space Craft

deleting part landerCabinSmall(Clone)

[B][RealChute]: Could not find the canopy_main parachute model within library[/B]

[B][RealChute]: Could not find the canopy_drogue parachute model within library[/B]

SDHI.ParaDock.1.ClampOTron(Clone) added to ship - part count: 2

stage count is: 0

I'm quite certain the parachute models do exist, and Blender / Unity concurs. I'll see if reverting some .MUs from older versions of SDHI SMS helps.

Uh thats weird. Did you add a ProceduralChute module to your parts?

Uh thats weird. Did you add a ProceduralChute module to your parts?

Yeah, I did.

Strictly speaking, the SDHI chutes are not supposed to be tweakable, but since I was having the animation issues, I assumed at the time that was something I needed regardless.

Yeah, I did.

Strictly speaking, the SDHI chutes are not supposed to be tweakable, but since I was having the animation issues, I assumed at the time that was something I needed regardless.

Does removing it now make it work? If not, did you correctly set the TextureLibrary? You shouldnt need a ProceduralChute module for it to work :/