[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Are you getting any Null Refs? Also, logs please.

Ok, scratch everything I posted. Trying this again, and now everything runs fine. I don't understand it. I just loaded my game up again, hit mod + f12, and everything is working properly. Now I feel stupid. If by some chance it does happen again, I'll post screenshots and stuff.

Oh thanks for that! I wonder why Mac doesn't save them in the KSP folder. Oh well. Nice to know how to get them.

There's an Apple guideline that logs go under ~/Library/Logs that Unity decided to follow and didn't really give their users like Squad much of a choice in the matter. Would be nice if they made it per-app, so I can keep my last KSP log around even if I run another Unity game, but that's Unity for you.

There's an Apple guideline that logs go under ~/Library/Logs that Unity decided to follow and didn't really give their users like Squad much of a choice in the matter. Would be nice if they made it per-app, so I can keep my last KSP log around even if I run another Unity game, but that's Unity for you.

Application developers cannot make the assumption that the folder containing the application is writable by the user. Indeed, the application might be hosted on a network share on some other computer. Therefore, logs and user data need to go to user-writable locations, hence ~/Library/Logs.

Really, on Windows, the logs and addons that users install would go in your %APPDATA%\Roaming folder somewhere and addons on OS X would be in ~/Library/Application Support. Oh well.

Also, have "HELP IT BROKE" messages be punishable with a temporary ban from the forums. It'd be no different than for me to have a waterpump failure on my car and phone a garage saying "The car doesn't do the thing where it goes broom vroom vroom".

Might be a bit overreacting. Many (but not all) of the people who post like that are immature (as in not very old), and the thought of reading the stickies simply doesn't occur to them. Therefore, I'd say that it's the duty of the more experienced forum members to guide them onto the right track, both when it comes to bug reporting but also with general good conduct. That's one of the greatest things about the KSP community - people are helpful, and we want it to continue being that way.

G'day, I'm trying to install the latest version of realchutes but it's not working and the only readme's I can find seem to be obsolete.

The zip contains a folder called "realchute-master". Am I supposed to simply drop that into gamedata? or do I open it to get the "drag calculator", "output" and "realchute" folders and drop them into gamedata?

I've tried both of these, and the parts don't show up and the stock chutes don't work!

Do I have to start a new game for it to take effect perhaps?

Glad it's not dead! (it rhymes ;) )

The only thing that's slightly irritating me is the incredibly low resolution of the RC_Icon.

I scaled and interpolated the icon in gimp and now it looks much better. The icon is only 12kB big, I can upload it if you want Chris. Or maybe for the others who want a sharper RealChute icon if you permit it.

I'm still seeing a broken link from the OP to KerbalStuff - the address seems to be missing something after /71/

For others:

It also works if you remove the / at the end of the link: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/71

I'm still seeing a broken link from the OP to KerbalStuff - the address seems to be missing something after /71/

For others: RealChute on KerbalStuff

Fixed

Glad it's not dead! (it rhymes ;) )

The only thing that's slightly irritating me is the incredibly low resolution of the RC_Icon.

I scaled and interpolated the icon in gimp and now it looks much better. The icon is only 12kB big, I can upload it if you want Chris. Or maybe for the others who want a sharper RealChute icon if you permit it.

It also works if you remove the / at the end of the link: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/71

That's not what I call low res

d60O6s9.png

(clicky for full res)

The Applauncher accepts icons that are 38x38 in size. IF you scale it up, it's just going to scale it down after and you might get scaling artifacts that appears. So no, rescaling it would be no good.

Hmm this is how it looks for me:

screenshot0_zps985e388e.png~original

Maybe it's because I'm forced to play KSP on the crappy HD4600 graphics on low settings. Sadly my graphics card has been in RMA since 7 weeks and it's still not clear when I get it back... :(

It's not dramatic, it just doesn't look that great compared to the radio icon next to it.

But it's ok, I fixed it for me (not shown in the picture). Now it looks almost as in your screenshot. Maybe it's just a special case.

Edited by slumpie

I installed RealChute Parachute Systems v1.2.5.3 on a fresh 0.25.0 KSP install. For some reason though, the parachutes aren't deploying. I haven't tested all of them, but the stock Mk16 Parachute seems to be having issues.

Basically, the behavior I'm seeing is:

I'm at a relatively low altitude (around 3,000m to 5,000m). I deploy the chute through staging, and the chute model/animation does not appear. If I don't do anything now, my pod will crash without the chute opening ever again. However, if I press Space again (default staging key), the chute opens. I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or not.

If the chute isn't my last stage, pressing Space again activates my next stage AND actually deploys the chute (even though I already activated the chute once). This situation is particularly annoying.

I can't seem to get the mk16 under RealChutes to replicate your problem (with a single engine, tank, mk1 cockpit). Does the RealChute parachute do the same thing? Also, in 1.2.5.3b, the stock parachutes are bugged when you switch away from the vessel and switch back. If you plan to use them with RealChute installed before the bug is fixed, you can delete GameData/RealChute/ModuleManager/Stock_RealChute_MM.cfg, which will cause the stock chutes to revert to stock parachute behavior.

I can't seem to get the mk16 under RealChutes to replicate your problem (with a single engine, tank, mk1 cockpit). Does the RealChute parachute do the same thing? Also, in 1.2.5.3b, the stock parachutes are bugged when you switch away from the vessel and switch back. If you plan to use them with RealChute installed before the bug is fixed, you can delete GameData/RealChute/ModuleManager/Stock_RealChute_MM.cfg, which will cause the stock chutes to revert to stock parachute behavior.

Hrm. I'll try it with the RealChute chutes when I get a chance. But one thing I forgot to mention:

I'm using FAR and Deadly Reentry (latest versions).

Also, I noticed that if I don't stage the chute twice, after I crash, in the mission log, I get a constant spam of "RealChute chute failure" messages. I hope this helps.

I've got a similar issue, where the parachutes don't work at all. The contex menu in the VAB is disabled, meaning that the parachutes are useless shells. Incidentally I also run x64, FAR and DR. Note: I tested in x32 and hat the same issue of having no customization menu.

I've got a similar issue, where the parachutes don't work at all. The contex menu in the VAB is disabled, meaning that the parachutes are useless shells. Incidentally I also run x64, FAR and DR. Note: I tested in x32 and hat the same issue of having no customization menu.

I do get the customization menu in VAB.

Additional notes about my situation: Even if I deploy the parachute through right-click menu in flight, I still need to do it twice.

This is a heavily reported bug. To fix it, rename or move to some other directory in your GameData folder the file called Stock_Realchute_MM

That's been reported as a fix, but I haven't used it. I like the Realchute parachute models more.

edited for spelling