[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

On 2/19/2020 at 6:23 AM, firegun said:

Fear not Kerbonauts! I've just raised a PR with the required code changes to get it back up with KSP 1.9+. I just tested it and is working fine on my machine™.

If you don't want to wait for further verification of my changes, want to play with this mod now, and you trust me enough to download a binary I compiled (<_<):

• Copy RealChute.version to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute
  • Copy RealChute.dll to <KSP_INSTANCE>\GameData\RealChute\Plugins <-- This is the binary I mentioned before

It should get you going now. I hope @stupid_chris may check it and eventually we get a new release out. For now I can go back to play!

Hope it helps.

Thank you a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 7:20 PM, firegun said:

Really demotivating to see you guys ignore my PR for more than a month, do the exact same changes on a separate commit. Of course you can drive your projects as you wish, still, sad.

You do know that this mod is not supported anymore right? Like the very first post clearly says it. I have no time to spend on this right now unfortunately, not even to approve a PR. I'm not sure what you were looking for or expecting here. There is no "motivation" to have, this is stale. I'm not putting any efforts into this given the current limbo state of the next game releasing soon. Besides, putting up a PR for the very same changes that have been done for the past five updates is a moot point. The mod auto-disables on new versions, we know why and it's intended. The PR neither brings new information or save any time fixing it in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So either I've found a bug in Realchutes... Or I've been using this mod wrong for years... So I earlier today I realized bigger parachute parts DO NOT have bigger parachutes inside them. I always assumed that, for example, scaling the RealChute Cone Double Chute part up from .625m up to its largest size at 2.5m would allow it to fit a much bigger parachute inside it and thus make it much more effective. However I tested various parachutes by attaching them to a heavy fuel tank dropping them from some launch clamps and I found out that chutes scaled down to .625m were just as good as 2.5m chutes when it came to slowing down a heavy weight in free fall. (when I tested between different types of parachutes and different parachute materials, the tests turned out pretty much how you would expect)

I know that this mod isn't supported anymore, I'm just wondering if this is a bug or if I've been using this mod wrong for years.

7 hours ago, Rabada said:

I'm just wondering if this is a bug or if I've been using this mod wrong for years.

the only thing scaling up/down the part size is for is to visually match whatever size object you are using. The size of the chute itself depends on how much mass you are trying to lower and at what speed, which is set by selecting the part when in the action groups view

• 4 weeks later...

Is Real Chutes download for KSP 1.8 realism overhaul broken?  I keep getting a message "Developer Tools Access needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue."  This pops up when the game is loading at "RealChute/Agencies/WenkelCorportation_scaled".  The game load freezes and my computer wants me to input a my password.  This seems very sketchy.  What's going on here?

And I have verified it is this KSP 1.8 download from the link on the first message in this thread that is the issue. Remove the mod and everything else loads perfectly fine and the Realism Overhaul game works.

Image: https://imgur.com/a/mbqhrJ3

Edited by ChrisG_NSF
Added more inforamtion

On 5/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, ChrisG_NSF said:

Is Real Chutes download for KSP 1.8 realism overhaul broken?  I keep getting a message "Developer Tools Access needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue."  This pops up when the game is loading at "RealChute/Agencies/WenkelCorportation_scaled".  The game load freezes and my computer wants me to input a my password.  This seems very sketchy.  What's going on here?

And I have verified it is this KSP 1.8 download from the link on the first message in this thread that is the issue. Remove the mod and everything else loads perfectly fine and the Realism Overhaul game works.

Image: https://imgur.com/a/mbqhrJ3

This isn't RealChute related, something else is causing the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Quick update here.

So as a lot of you may be aware, this mod is no longer being actively developed, as I stopped shortly after the announcement of KSP2 last year. I did however expect a release this year, and the recent drama and pushback to fall 2021 has me coming back to this a little. Now I want to be clear; I do not intend to provide support reliably for this mod as I'm in my final year of uni, and if all goes well I'll be actually working as a game dev a year from now. I am still however interested in the KSP modding community.

So here's what I'm thinking, last year as I was working on the brand new module for RC2, @sumghai actually made some brand new parts for the mod. Now when he did these I didn't expect to stop working on this soon after, and these parts have been sitting there for about a year untouched. Adapting the current module to use them should actually not be such a chore. If there is a demand for these, I will try to fit it in my schedule sometime during the summer, quarantine does have me working from home, and I've recently been playing KSP in a non-modding way for perhaps the first time in 4 years.

Let me know what you all think, cheers!

On 5/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, New Horizons said:

How can I calculate correct chute size for my probe? I found the "calculations mode" and selected my target body Duna but found no button for calculation or resizing chutes. 

Put the chute on, detach all the parts that do not have to be included in the landing (to get the correct craft mass), then hit apply settings in the action groups menu. You can also select a preset at the top, for quick configuration.

@stupid_chris any thing you do to the realchute mod   would be greatly appreciated, NEW parts are always great to have and most welcome. We fully understand that you will need to concentrate on the final year of UNI and support maybe hit and miss but with the amount of community support for the mod this shouldnt be a problem, you have my vote to roll out the changes PLEASE.

Regards,

VG

Edited by Virtualgenius

This is awesome news @stupid_chris!  Any luv you throw towards RC will always be appreciated. It is one of my staple mods. 
  When you say work on RC2, was there something more than adding new parts you had in mind?

7 hours ago, Probus said:

When you say work on RC2, was there something more than adding new parts you had in mind?

The module was being completely rewritten from the ground up with a lot more flexibility in mind, allowing users to basically make parachutes work however they see fit. Spares would have been kept separately in other parts, a new better UI would come along, etc. It's a huge rework essentially.

46 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I'm still sad no RC2 will come to KSP1 as I see a long lifetime for it but anything new for RealChute is something I would welcome if you can make time for it!

It's just a tough call to make. It's hard to tell if the modding community on KSP2 will be viable or if it will stick to KSP1 and we'll see the modders essentially rebuild the game entirely once it stops being updated and that stability comes on. I only have so much time to allocate and it's hard to prioritize RC2 in these conditions.

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@stupid_chris I'd be happy to help with official builds,etc. Contact me if you are interested

There's not really a lot of maintaining to do, just popping up the version numbers and changing the CompatibilityChecker target between each major release and uploading everything to GitHub. I can still add you to the repo if you want to help with that though.

1 hour ago, stupid_chris said:

There's not really a lot of maintaining to do, just popping up the version numbers and changing the CompatibilityChecker target between each major release and uploading everything to GitHub. I can still add you to the repo if you want to help with that though

How do you build releases?

3 hours ago, jpkerman said:

Just can't make it without RC but the ability to change the stack chute container color would be visually pleasing.  Something to match the darker Mk1 capsule?

There are already four textures you can chose from.

@stupid_chris, it must be really difficult to have several chutes open and they not overlap or you would have done it already. Would it at least be doable if they were completely symetrical?  For instance, 3 around a 1.25 LFO Tank. 

7 hours ago, Probus said:

@stupid_chris, it must be really difficult to have several chutes open and they not overlap or you would have done it already. Would it at least be doable if they were completely symetrical?  For instance, 3 around a 1.25 LFO Tank. 

I'm not developing this mod anymore.