[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Hi, I have some problems with FASA Mercury Parachute in RO, RP-1, game version 1.8.1. When I deploy it, it doesn't slow the capsule, and I hit the ground at about 60 m/s.

I also don't see any RealChute UI in editor. There are only mod settings in KSC menu. And there are no other parachutes with the exception of Mercury and it's mini version. I remember that in older versions of RP-1 there were others too.

I've tried reinstalling (through CKAN) RealChute, FASA and ModuleManager, and it didn't help.

The log is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5pNhdl77ljhyeWW2ostfS4NhDhWuwlc/view?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, desert said:

Hi, I have some problems with FASA Mercury Parachute in RO, RP-1, game version 1.8.1. When I deploy it, it doesn't slow the capsule, and I hit the ground at about 60 m/s.

I also don't see any RealChute UI in editor. There are only mod settings in KSC menu. And there are no other parachutes with the exception of Mercury and it's mini version. I remember that in older versions of RP-1 there were others too.

I've tried reinstalling (through CKAN) RealChute, FASA and ModuleManager, and it didn't help.

The log is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5pNhdl77ljhyeWW2ostfS4NhDhWuwlc/view?usp=sharing

Holy crap. I thought FASA died out years ago.

Uhhh, download this MM patch and see if it works. I deprecated it assuming FASA was no longer with us.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I could get a chute to work for a descent through a gas giant's atmosphere. I'm trying to make atmospheric probes for science in JNSQ's Jool and Lindor, but I don't know how to adjust the parachutes to provide a good descent.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:10 AM, TaintedLion said:

I'm not sure how I could get a chute to work for a descent through a gas giant's atmosphere. I'm trying to make atmospheric probes for science in JNSQ's Jool and Lindor, but I don't know how to adjust the parachutes to provide a good descent.

It's not really configured for that, the tool in game sets to aim for a specific speed once it reaches the ground, which gas giants do not have. You can switch to manual mode, a 20m drogue chute should do the job. You probably don't need one though, and an airbrake should give you all the time you need to do your science and does not risk melting unlike the parachute

On 8/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, matiasb said:

Does it work with ReStock and the new parachute texture in it?

It's independant from the stock parachutes, and should be independant from ReStock

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, nsgallup said:

Is there a way to get the parachutes to deploy at an angle to avoid clipping if for example I have two radially mounted parachutes?

This question was asked then and when over the years and the answer is unfortunately no.
I remember that there was a short discussion about ways to change the code to accomplish that (by recognizing radially attached clones) but it never happened.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:45 AM, nsgallup said:

Is there a way to get the parachutes to deploy at an angle to avoid clipping if for example I have two radially mounted parachutes?

On 10/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, Gordon Dry said:

This question was asked then and when over the years and the answer is unfortunately no.
I remember that there was a short discussion about ways to change the code to accomplish that (by recognizing radially attached clones) but it never happened.

There actually is. You can see the stack chutes are already doing it. It's just not automatic, kinda janky, and is set in the part config. You could do it with an MM patch to create extra parts with an offset angle, but idk how much success you'd get and it might not work as good as intended.

• 3 weeks later...

hey there. I noticed that when I have this mod enabled, it stops allowing the "min pressure", "altitude", and "spread angle" settings being available to the stock parachutes. If this is common knowledge then disregard.

However I was wondering if I could use this mod and still have access to those settings. thanks!

11 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

hey there. I noticed that when I have this mod enabled, it stops allowing the "min pressure", "altitude", and "spread angle" settings being available to the stock parachutes. If this is common knowledge then disregard.

However I was wondering if I could use this mod and still have access to those settings. thanks!

Because this mod replaces the stock parachute module with the RealChute module, which is the entire point of this mod. You can change the pressure/altitude and many other settings in the RealChute menu. Spread angle can be changed from the config but it might be wonky, it's in the config only, stack cutes use it notably.

1 hour ago, stupid_chris said:

Because this mod replaces the stock parachute module with the RealChute module, which is the entire point of this mod. You can change the pressure/altitude and many other settings in the RealChute menu. Spread angle can be changed from the config but it might be wonky, it's in the config only, stack cutes use it notably.

thanks for the response. do you know if there's a way to keep the RealChute parts without the replaced behind the scenes parts? i really like the stackable part but want to keep the rest basic

22 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

thanks for the response. do you know if there's a way to keep the RealChute parts without the replaced behind the scenes parts? i really like the stackable part but want to keep the rest basic

The point of this mod is to replace the parachute module. This isn't a parts mod. The stock module cannot support several parachutes on one part like the stack chute does. So no, you can't disable the module and keep the parts.

But honestly I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here. RealChute does the same that stock does, but better, and with extra bells and whistles if it tickles your fancy.

Not being able to change the pressure and altitude settings on the starting parachute makes the early career mode impossible. My parachute will deploy but not open until the last second before my craft hits the ground and explodes.

Without having the money to upgrade the VAB and unlock the ability to change these settings my only option to continue in career mode is to delete this mod...

Would be nice to see this fixed or get a patch or something so I can use this mod and play career instead of having to choose.

Edited by lerfds
typo

6 hours ago, lerfds said:

Not being able to change the pressure and altitude settings on the starting parachute makes the early career mode impossible. My parachute will deploy but not open until the last second before my craft hits the ground and explodes.

Without having the money to upgrade the VAB and unlock the ability to change these settings my only option to continue in career mode is to delete this mod...

Would be nice to see this fixed or get a patch or something so I can use this mod and play career instead of having to choose.

Welcome to the forums.

Read the OP (a good habit to learn early ).  The mod author is no longer developing this mod so likely your request won't be met.

That said, I've not run into that problem before.  How are you trying to change the opening pressure/altitude?  Did you adjust the chute in the VAB before launch?

Edited by Brigadier

7 hours ago, lerfds said:

I will also welcome you to the boards. If you are in career mode, and you haven't upgraded your VAB to at least level 2 (thus gaining access to Action Groups), then you can right click the part in the Flight Scene and adjust settings there. Once you have action groups available, you will be able to make all of your changes when you place the chutes in the VAB by going to the Action Group tab. If you can't access the part settings in the flight scene, then one of three scenarios is possible: 1. User Error; 2. Installation Issue (e.g., mod not installed correctly, mod conflicts with other mod); 3. Bug. Before you assume the answer is #3, especially for a popular mod such as this one, you need to eliminate possibilities 1 and 2. However, if you have installed the mod correctly and there are no conflicts, then I think you will find that the solution is a right-click away. :)

As @Brigadier suggested, this information is in the OP and your question has been asked and answered many times in the past. You will find that people here on the KSP forums are uncommonly helpful provided that you give enough information to be helped (you will notice in LinuxGuruGamer's signature a helpful link, repeated here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/). 

Thanks for the replies guys, I do have alot of mods installed so it is probably a conflict but yea there is no way to change the min pressure/altitude on the realchute chutes unfortunately (tried everything)

Im just going to install the mod after I upgrade the VAB :)

On 11/3/2020 at 5:40 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@stupid_chris would there be any way for you to use the stock parachute models ?  They look so much better ever since they were updated

There's an included MM patch that adds RealChute to stock parachutes. If the models change for RealChute, it'll be from Sumghai's new parts, not reverting to stock.

On another note; good news, I might start having some ~free time~ some time in the near future! I've been hired as a Unity Developer at Behaviour Interactive as of two weeks ago, and I finally start having some time for myself instead of working crazy hours at a retail job! I still have my bachelors to finish, due this April, but things are looking up :)

48 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

On another note; good news, I might start having some ~free time~ some time in the near future! I've been hired as a Unity Developer at Behaviour Interactive as of two weeks ago, and I finally start having some time for myself instead of working crazy hours at a retail job! I still have my bachelors to finish, due this April, but things are looking up :)

Well, great for you...you must be pleased.  Do what you need to do first and KSP comes...well, at least 2nd :D.   We'll survive until you're ready to return.

I was having an issue with KK Launchers SpaceX Launch Vehicle Parachutes in ksp 1.8.1 Realism Overhaul, they were not providing any drag to slow down, and found this MM patch to fix it. This has worked a little bit, the parachutes do provide drag, but not enough, nor can i modify the parachutes with realchute properly. I can edit the Deploy Pressure, Altitude and spread angle from the right click menu, and the min pressure and altitude in the toggle info box (only in the flight scene, not VAB) but cannot click the parachutes with the action group menu to modify them fully.

I would like to set specific predeployment and full deployment altitudes, as well as them providing the right amount of drag. The drogue chute provides too much, and the main chute too little, both slowing me to about 25m/s which is too fast. I also must keep the original textures and models for the chutes, they cant change to a realchute one.

I have tried adding the realchute module to them manually with a MM patch, but it doesn't work. the action group click doesn't work, nor does the toggle info menu work, only getting a small, unmovable box in the top left thats impossible to use, or change, both in vab and flight scene. The chutes also wont deploy at all. What can be done?

8 hours ago, YaBoyShredderson said:

I was having an issue with KK Launchers SpaceX Launch Vehicle Parachutes in ksp 1.8.1 Realism Overhaul, they were not providing any drag to slow down, and found this MM patch to fix it. This has worked a little bit, the parachutes do provide drag, but not enough, nor can i modify the parachutes with realchute properly. I can edit the Deploy Pressure, Altitude and spread angle from the right click menu, and the min pressure and altitude in the toggle info box (only in the flight scene, not VAB) but cannot click the parachutes with the action group menu to modify them fully.

I would like to set specific predeployment and full deployment altitudes, as well as them providing the right amount of drag. The drogue chute provides too much, and the main chute too little, both slowing me to about 25m/s which is too fast. I also must keep the original textures and models for the chutes, they cant change to a realchute one.

I have tried adding the realchute module to them manually with a MM patch, but it doesn't work. the action group click doesn't work, nor does the toggle info menu work, only getting a small, unmovable box in the top left thats impossible to use, or change, both in vab and flight scene. The chutes also wont deploy at all. What can be done?

Because they're not MM patched to work with RealChute, they're using stock parachutes.