[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

They work on Eve!

screenshot79_zps93bb7f3b.png

I forgot to get a screencap of them opened

but unfortunately my "I don't even think I'll MAKE it to eve, why would I need landing legs" statement was a bit of a bust...

screenshot81_zps8720ae60.png

I could still do science though! I had at least ONE little panel. it just took a while.

There was one minor little hiccup, though

check out this video

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/UU92/media/ScreenRecording20_zps055de057.mp4.html

ignore the fact that my computer excretes a cinder block when I try and record and play KSP, but check out around halfway through, see that little glitchiness?

imagine that happening about 5x faster, because that'd be actual game speed when not recording.

the chutes still worked as advertized, but just LOOKED a bit wonky.

Edited by User Unrelated

The chutes were bouncing around really fast, and making movements that didn't look "correct", like warping around almost, and the larger chute was spinning really really fast.

it is hard to see in the video, I'll give it that, but it was definitely glitchy. I'll try to shoot something over there again in sandbox sometime soon and record it off the screen with a video camera or something.

What really needed in addon parachute technology is a "tweakables" type implementation where you pick the chute container you want and then specify the performance details of the 'chute like Modular Fuel System. Anything short of this will just be too many parts doing too few functions.

Every parachute mod that doesn't do this will be remembered as the one that people used to use before the good one came out.

What really needed in addon parachute technology is a "tweakables" type implementation where you pick the chute container you want and then specify the performance details of the 'chute like Modular Fuel System. Anything short of this will just be too many parts doing too few functions.

Every parachute mod that doesn't do this will be remembered as the one that people used to use before the good one came out.

You might want to check my roadmap in the development thread, this is exactly what is planned for release 1.0 :) First I'll complete the module itself and make it stable, then it'll move to "procedural" parachutes.

Now I've investigated for the FASA chutes and I have no idea what's going on. All the values are set correctly, I think it might have to deal with the animations themselves.

@User Unrelated

That might have to do with Eve's atmosphere, though that's weird. If you notice that again, can you save your output_log.txt and your KSP log and send them my way?

Hmm... I have written a plugin (see my sig) to modify any part's any numeric parameter in VAB/SPH so this won't be a problem for me.

Oh, not meant to promote my plugin here... :P

Edited by HoneyFox

Didn't the dev said they're going to implement a way to tweak parts during construction in 0.23?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/234-0-23-Update-News

Maybe you can use that once 0.23, tweak the deployment altitude/speed, cut altitude/speed, chute type, and whether to auto-cut on landing.

Most likely, but it will depend on how this system works. This is far down the development line though, the next steps will be allowing two parachutes per module and removing stock drag for real drag. Then I'll see about a GUI system if the stock tweakables aren't around,

Great Mod :) I've been using my own custom configs to allow realchutes on the SDHI parachute docking ports :) i got it to work GREAT for the main 3 but am having trouble implementing them into the drogue in the same part so that at a certain altitude they cut and the main chutes deploy

Great Mod :) I've been using my own custom configs to allow realchutes on the SDHI parachute docking ports :) i got it to work GREAT for the main 3 but am having trouble implementing them into the drogue in the same part so that at a certain altitude they cut and the main chutes deploy

As the author of the SDHI add-on *and* the chap working on replacement models for RealChute, I'm already working on this issue with Chris.

In the meantime, I'd prefer you to wait until we've devised an official update.

just so u know i found a bug. if u say remove this mod when u go back ingame any ship that had it will still be there but be unresponsive. but if u say eva a kerbal in it they just keep spittint out clones. then once u select another vessel that ship disspaers.

seems for some reason parts that where modded by this bug out if its removed.

I doubt this is related to the mod then. It could have to do with the fact RealChute uses stock models in MODEL{} nodes. But if you correctly removed the mod, it shouldn't be affecting your game anymore. If it bugs out that manes KSP itself has a problem with parts being removed, normally it should delete those ships.

It's to be expected that if you remove the mod the ships you build with it shouldn't work/exist anymore.

Version 0.1b is up! This should be the final form of the module, next should be Allowing more than one parachute per part/module!

Changelog:

November 16th 2013
v0.1b
-Fixed the issue where deploying the parachute below the full deployment height would play the second animations faster
-Added sounds on both predeployment and deployment
-Added a deployment timer that will show a countdown on the flight screen
-Added a clause that the ship must go downards to deploy and that will show status on the flight screen
-Fixed a few remaining deployment bugs
-Changed the behaviour of the part GUI to only show when the action is available

**Note about the FASA MM file: The animations for both Gemini parachutes don't work. I'll talk to frizzank to try and see what's up.

So do parachutes now deploy on hold, while I'm moving upwards and deploy as soon as my ship starts to drop? So I wouldn't need to put control to my boosters.

If you set mustGoDown to true, yes they will :) It's set to false by default, you just need to take a quick look at the configs to change it though.

Could you add a MM file for SDHI Service Module please? (Sum Dum Heavy Industries). (To be specific he' got two docking port parts that contain multiple (3) main chutes, and (2) drogue chutes).

Alternatively, if you could give me a primer, I'd be happy to create it myself.

I think I have a couple more mods that have chutes, I don't want to bug you all the time for specific mods.

Could you add a MM file for SDHI Service Module please? (Sum Dum Heavy Industries). (To be specific he' got two docking port parts that contain multiple (3) main chutes, and (2) drogue chutes).

Alternatively, if you could give me a primer, I'd be happy to create it myself.

I think I have a couple more mods that have chutes, I don't want to bug you all the time for specific mods.

For now, RealChuteModule does not support multiple modules on one part (just like the stock module). So I unfortunately can't do that, BUT, this is precisely the feature I am working on right now :D If you have mods that have parachutes, feel free to propose, it really isn't that hard to create a MM file :)

For now, RealChuteModule does not support multiple modules on one part (just like the stock module). So I unfortunately can't do that, BUT, this is precisely the feature I am working on right now :D If you have mods that have parachutes, feel free to propose, it really isn't that hard to create a MM file :)

Can't wait :)

One would be Vangaurd's EVA chutes that adds a personal chute to each kerbal, I use those to save kerbals more often than I'd like to admit.

I actually checked to see if I could adapt those, but they don't roll on the stock ModuleParachute and instead work on a custom module too. I can't change the behaviour with just an MM file, I'd need a whole plugin to alter it, and at that point it's much easier to change the EVAParachute plugin. Besides, it's not like problems emerge when using those parachute, my aim was really to help everyday building.

Which should be coming sooner than I'm anticipating, I've already worked through adding a second parachute to deployment! I haven't tested it yet, but I'll be doing this right now. 99% chances it won't work and I'll have a few things to change, but that's to be expected. I just doubled the length of my code. Though the hardest and biggest of the work is done, it will probably be fixing and bughunting now.