[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Would it be possible in future release to have a FAR-compatible download? That way us FAR users won't have to keeping editing the .cfg files everytime we update this mod! :)

That soon won't be necessary :) I'm working on using real drag, so like with FAR, stock drag get's ditched.

NOOOO! How could you abandon the Stupid Industries logo??? What hhave you done!!?

It's a disaster of kerbocalyptic proportions! Quick! We have to take cover in the shelters! GET TO THE CHOPPA!

---

Ok, but, a deer-like thing getting it's hoofs off as if they were gloves, which were hiding tiny evil hands. Seriously?

Oh the internet...Never fails to amaze me at the most improbable ways...

Wow.

I can verify on my game this isn't a problem. I action group parachutes all the time. I rarely stage them. I usually put them in an action group because I use LES and need to deploy them faster then space bar when abort button has been pressed.

I did have one instant where I couldn't click on parachute in VAB to assign action group. I can't say this is related to mod or some memory issue, but I fixed it by leaving VAB and coming back in.

BUUUUUUG REPOOOOOOOORT

The paraachutes don't work through context menus or action groups - they have to be staged. That can be very annoying on some crafts.

So is the stock MM file needed or not? And if it is, the Stock MM file link seems to be broken for me...anyone else having this issue?

No it's not, and you are right, the link is broken, I'll see about this.

The paraachutes don't work through context menus or action groups - they have to be staged. That can be very annoying on some crafts.

That'S the second report about that I get, I'll look into my code to see if something could make it unreliable.

p.s. no need for size 7 font.

Wow.

I can verify on my game this isn't a problem. I action group parachutes all the time. I rarely stage them. I usually put them in an action group because I use LES and need to deploy them faster then space bar when abort button has been pressed.

I did have one instant where I couldn't click on parachute in VAB to assign action group. I can't say this is related to mod or some memory issue, but I fixed it by leaving VAB and coming back in.

Aye, that's also what has been happening on my side, I'll check in my code though.

About this, I finished the update on my side. Parachutes now use real drag, and the amount of drag they produce is dependant of how large they are. Since this is an unintuitive measure, I've also made a tool to calculate how large your parachute should be to land like you wish to. For now it's outside of the game so you can go modify your cfg files, but it'll soon be inside the editor somewhat.

The last remaining bit is to wait for the new parts. sumghai is nearly done making them and I should receive the final product very soon. All that will be left to do is double check the cfgs and leave this here, on the forum :)

Oh, let me correct myself by saying that I only use the stock and NP config parachutes, I don't use the new models.

Yeah that person is right, can't deploy in action group or click on parachute to activate it, only in staging. I must of been using older version before.

Jeb verifies this:

screenshot8_zps07662311.png

I should also make a report now as well. Sometimes (IE randomly) my chutes will completely fail to deploy by either staging, action grouping or just right clicking and hitting deploy. I have a strong feeling theres possibly a conflict with remote tech 2 causing this ( and yes I'm doing all of this while connected and i've lost one manned pod due to the chutes refusing to fire). Not sure if this should go here and RT but just wanted you to be aware of the issue.

So, for that action group issue. Coming from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52362-0-22-Sum-Dum-Heavy-Industries-Service-Module-System-%28V1-4%29?p=812097&viewfull=1#post812097, I did some further testing.

Test Procedure:

1. Put Sumghais Orion on SRBs (see screenshot below)

2. launch

3. wait for apoapsis

4. abort to trigger the LES, wait a few seconds

5. Action group 10 to separate the LES, wait a few seconds

-> the vessel now consists of the MK1-2 Pod, SDHI Clamp-o-tron/chute and SDHI heat shield at >9000m

During the descend, neither Action group 9 (set up as "deploy chute") nor right click->deploy chute do anything, but staging deploys the chute as one would expect.

Test craft (I can provide the file if you want, but it's really just the Orion on bicoupled SRBs):

H65wjY1l.png

//EDIT: about mod conflicts: I got FAR, Deadly Reentry, KJR , TAC Life Support and Remote Tech 2 as global, not-purely-gui mods. As I just realized, with the test craft Remote Tech 2 shows "N/A" instead of "Local Control" (but control still works), and KER refuses to show anything but an artifact of its window border. So there is definitly something weird going on, but I have no idea what.

//EDIT2: With staging, the chutes do work perfectly fine. It's just a bit problematic for launchpad aborts to get through the stages fast enaugh, since KSP imposes a certain minimum between staging events.

Edited by Garek

For the new drag model's chute settings, maybe go the ModularFuels route and make a pop-up window that appears when selecting the chute in Action Group mode? You could put any kind of calculator you want in there, allowing full customization on an individual per-chute level and avoid having to modify .cfg files!

For the new drag model's chute settings, maybe go the ModularFuels route and make a pop-up window that appears when selecting the chute in Action Group mode? You could put any kind of calculator you want in there, allowing full customization on an individual per-chute level and avoid having to modify .cfg files!

I'm already planning to add an editor window to modify cfg files in game. Not for this update though, that will be a big bunch of code.

I'm beginning to believe my staging conflict is DRE doing it insted of RT2. When I have my parachute and heat shield release on the same stage the parachute flat refuses to fire if I put them on seperate stages it stops ( action groups and right clicking the part fails to work reguardless).

Here is my link for them on spaceport, pay no mind to picture on there. Some how it got changed to A-10:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/custom-parachutes-for-ksp-0-22/

You will have to do the rest for to get it to work on RealChutes, well you can use this config if you have MM. It will make these chutes work and estes model chutes too.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-22-model-rocket-parachutes/

Here is config for both downloads to work with Realchute:

http://www./view/o1aounv1tsc55xx/Raven_RealChute_MM.cfg

But I like shouting...

I must have that thing.

Edited by therealcrow999

I'm beginning to believe my staging conflict is DRE doing it insted of RT2. When I have my parachute and heat shield release on the same stage the parachute flat refuses to fire if I put them on seperate stages it stops ( action groups and right clicking the part fails to work reguardless).

Hm, that's weird. Could you please repeat this and then provide your output_log.txt?

Also to anyone else having conflicting issues with other mods or with DRE, the best for me and the owners of the other mods would be to get output logs to see what's going on.

I really love the concept for this mod!

I don't know if somebody has already done this but I took the liberty to whip up some rough sound effects for repack/cut chutes.

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4pw110tu0pcff7u/H3zl6ernV4

Feel free to use them as-is or let me know if you want me to adjust them.

Ah, thank you very much :) I'll take a look at them, thanks!

Hm, that's weird. Could you please repeat this and then provide your output_log.txt?

I'll attempt to tomorrow as I said its random doing a sub orbital just now didn't reproduce it but in this save I had 4 different probes do a flyby of the mun and on their return the chutes failed to open and all 4 had the chute and heatshield on the same stage and with no change in design putting them on seperate ones fixed it.Also save before this had a mk1-2 pod fail to fire after a return from my space station and I remember it to had the chutes and shield on the same stage ( was a habit I picked up to ditch as much weight as I could since the old chutes loved ripping my craft apart).