[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Hey stupid_chris, first of all much respect for all you do.....Now the mini explanation.

Dunno how you guys even played before 64bit was a thing. But I've said it and I'll repeat it: you,re more likely to run more mods on 32bit.

I was forced to use ATM aggressive, due to the memory usage being over 4GB. Which made textures look terrible IMO. Like i said in post why i dont want to use it. Thus in 64 no memory restrictions(within the realm of normalcy).

64bit has some serious issues.

I agree at times it is frustrating, but some people like it and/or prefer it. With any luck Squad will improve it over time.

Well there is my 2 cents, if you decide to not include 64bit in you builds, I like this mod enough to just create a 32bit version on a VM. Again love your work, hope to see more.

And there we go.

Uploading the last work I've put in realchute towards fixing that bug. If it'S fixed it is. If it isn't I don't care.

I'm not going to updadte RealChute again. At least not for a very, very long time. If you want to know why, go ahead and ask Cerebrate. He's directly responsible for my departure. I'm guessing since he holds on to distributing recompiled versions of my code everywhere and will force his way through no matter how much I oppose to it, I'm guessing it means he wants to do the support or RealChute. Send all your questions and complaints to him!

I'm not going to waste my time anymore on this. I've got much better to do. I'm not interested to give my time to work and create stuff for a community which fights me back in return.

Edited by stupid_chris

Well, that's a damn shame, since it is an excellent, indeed must-have, mod. This situation is not what I intended nor what I foresaw back at the beginning of this odyssey, and I do regret that - and apologize to the community for - it has come to pass.

But.

(And, for the record, I am not at this time distributing, nor will in the future distribute, any of your code, recompiled, modified, or otherwise.)

-c

And there we go.

Uploading the last work I've put in realchute towards fixing that bug. If it'S fixed it is. If it isn't I don't care.

I'm not going to updadte RealChute again. At least not for a very, very long time. If you want to know why, go ahead and ask Cerebrate. He's directly responsible for my departure. I'm guessing since he holds on to distributing recompiled versions of my code everywhere and will force his way through no matter how much I oppose to it, I'm guessing it means he wants to do the support or RealChute. Send all your questions and complaints to him!

I'm not going to waste my time anymore on this. I've got much better to do. I'm not interested to give my time to work and create stuff for a community which fights me back in return.

Dude, just take a break and leave these bad vibes for a bit. There's a lot of love for you here.

I'll post a vote of support for Stupid_Chris - who is obviously anything but...

Man... we NEED this mod. Hell, this mod should be STOCK - it's 1000% better then the simple stock chutes.

My .25 MOD list

• MechJeb (Dev ver)
  • Engineer
  • RealChute
  • [x]Science (Fairly new, lets you do and in flight review what science you have and have not collected)

That's it.

I may add HGR's Pods and KW Rocketry's parts when they are up to date but I may not.

Seems the latest version still has issues with stock chutes. Switch away from the vessel and switch back, only the command pod appears visually, tho the center of the cam clearly indicates the center of mass of a larger vessel.

Quick look at the Alt-F12 debug shows "NullReferenceException" (I think that's what it said) - previous posts seems to indicate this is a problem only with modded STOCK chutes. Guess I'll try and dig into that cfg file later to see if I can tell what's up - if it's in there I stand a chance. If it's in the code of RealChute I have no hope now.

Edited by KasperVld

I can also only thank Stupid_Chris for the content he has created and distributed so far. RealChute is fairly new to my experience (I took an overtly long break from KSP) but I really, REALLY liked it.

I'm not gonna even TRY to understand what happened (not gonna read through 230 odd pages) but I'm sorta sad that he's dropping RealChute. I can only hope that someone else might eventually release something to surpass it but I'm guessing it wont happen for a while.

So, for now, just thanks.

Seems the latest version still has issues with stock chutes. Switch away from the vessel and switch back, only the command pod appears visually, tho the center of the cam clearly indicates the center of mass of a larger vessel.

Quick look at the Alt-F12 debug shows "NullReferenceException" (I think that's what it said) - previous posts seems to indicate this is a problem only with modded STOCK chutes. Guess I'll try and dig into that cfg file later to see if I can tell what's up - if it's in there I stand a chance. If it's in the code of RealChute I have no hope now.

Does it happen only with pre-existing ships and or craft files? Or can you replicate the problem using newly created and newly launched ships?

If it only happens with preexisting ships, try quick saving then exiting the game. Reload game and then quickload your previously saved game.

PS. And Thanks for all you've done Chris. Sorry about what's happened.

all craft with stock chutes for me - new or otherwise, when you change to a different craft or scene and back it occurs.

SOLUTION

Don't use stock chutes, there's no need to anyway. just use realchute chutes.

Finish any missions reliant on stock chutes before you install the mod.

I hope chris is able to come back to this after a breather. KSP version update time is a stressful time for modmakers, so much demand and angst. They all have my sympathy. People should learn to take mods as they come when they come (and post bug reports to help the author), if the mod you want to use isnt ready yet - either stay on the old KSP version, or somehow struggle through without that particular mod. Again, sympathy to all modders, take your time, and only do as much as you enjoy.

Hey thanks Chris for everything you have done. Some people will probably be sour about you leaving, but you've given so much to us and anything is more than anyone can ask of a modder. You did a great job with this and deserve a lot of credit. Wish you luck in the future bro!

Wow. This turned out into hell of a fight... I can only say one thing: thanks Chris. I was in your shoes and I know how you feel. So, take a break, take a chill pill and spend some quality time without all this butthurt :) . Thanks again for your work. Hope someday people will learn how to appreciate work of others...

Edited by KasperVld

-snip-

Chris, where does your license stand on this? You've stated it reverts to CC after 90 days of activity, but I presume that limit was to limit forks if you took some down time. If you're, ah, ending development, does that trigger this revert or should people wait the 90 days?

While I actually think Cerebrate hasn't done much wrong here other than follow the rules - you made it CC after all - I understand 'backseat modding' is particularly annoying. It will be a pity if you choose not to go on because some people really, really want to use your mod. Please do reconsider.

Edited by KasperVld

So many modders are feeling the heat from users at the moment and I have no idea why, to actively upset the guys/gals that create this great material, do you want to play stock do you want the plain jane game, I for sure as hell dont. So it looks like a small minority spoils it for the majority, when will we learn to be great full for what has been provided for FREE, the creation the support and the all round decent Guys and Gals that create the content for this marvellous game. Kris I salute you and implore you to reconsider, KSP is a far better place with your mods in it than without.

Regards,

VG

I bet you think you're helping!

[...]

While I actually think Cerebrate hasn't done much wrong here

Here's a fact: Cerebrate has zero right to the time and work of any modder, including Chris. By acting the way he did, doing the things he did, he was assuming such a right, as an entitlement. Our community has no use for such behavior. That's what he did wrong. There's other kinds of wrong than license breaches, you know.

Edited by KasperVld

And there we go.

Not that I can tell, Ill take a look at your code in the weekend and see if I can find it for ya ;)

Other than the mistake of redistributing the fix (or re-break, depends on how you look at it lol) - he did follow the rules regarding your own CC rules. And then argued why. *HE* isnt directly responsible for your actions, to say so is little more than throwing your toys.

And afaik, he isnt redistributing anything, because thats now against the license.

What forum thread are YOU reading? Everyone has been polite, even Cerebrate tbh, and as a fellow developer, I can see his viewpoint even if the delivery was a bit overzealous.

Modders and coders need thick skins imo - I can lend you some leathers ;)

We arent resisting, just wondering why it was removed - and with this information, Ive even stopped using x64 myself (using the opengl instead) - which works fine for me.

So, I hope you can look back when you're less annoyed and see we're all appreciative of your work - and just asking questions, not trying to 'fight' you.

Edited by LuciferNZ
Removed an f

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.