[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Lextacy -

1. Spare chutes is the number of times the chute can be repacked. They add weight and cost, however.

2. "Parachute parts used" is to help calculate the size of the chutes. If you use 2 chutes, but leave it set at 1, the chutes will be too large for your goal, but you shouldn't crash, instead you'd probably just take forever to land. If you get a message about being unable to set the parachutes because its at max, increase this number, and add more chutes to match this setting.

Drogue chutes - Set a target altitude and speed. The chute will try to slow the ship to that speed, at that altitude.

Main Chutes - Set a landing speed, chute will attempt to land at that speed.

PreDeployment and Deployment Altitudes - How high up the chutes will open.

Autocut Altitude- at what altitude the chutes will cut on their own.

That should cover most of it.

thanks mate ! I now have something to go by when setting multiple chutes in a series formation

They add weight and cost, however.

False. Soon

1. Whats the spare chutes thing all about?

2. Whats this setting do ? Parachutes used (parts)

3. Please post a tutorial about the deployment options, presets, ect

4. Great mod , profit

1. As NihilRex said, this is the number of times you can repack a chute.

2. This is the number of canopies used when landing your spacecraft. For example, just a cone chute at the top of your pod would be one. Using a stack chute means there is two parachutes active when you land (one on each side), which means you put two. If you had three radial chutes on a pod, you would put three. Get the idea?

3. Unfortunately I do not have as much free time. A GitHub FAQ is planned down the line, just can't tell you when.

4. Thank you :)

I'm having some issues regarding the Combo preset (drogue, followed by main) used on a Stack Parachute.

No matter if I set the "Parachutes used" value (on both Main and Secondary) to 1, 2, 4 or 42, there's always gonna be only one parachute at a time. First, one drogue deploys at one side of the pack. Later, one main parachute is deployed on the other side. Not both at both sides, as I think it should be expected.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Plus, the bigger the value at the "Parachutes used" is, the smallet the parachute is. Although I think this bit is working as intended.

For those having issues with resizing the chutes in career mode (not being able to get to the Action Groups menu), if you install Action Groups Extended it allows you to access the config window as AGExt doesn't currently respect the VAB/SPH tech level.

I'm having some issues regarding the Combo preset (drogue, followed by main) used on a Stack Parachute.

No matter if I set the "Parachutes used" value (on both Main and Secondary) to 1, 2, 4 or 42, there's always gonna be only one parachute at a time. First, one drogue deploys at one side of the pack. Later, one main parachute is deployed on the other side. Not both at both sides, as I think it should be expected.

http://imgur.com/a/Egom4

Plus, the bigger the value at the "Parachutes used" is, the smallet the parachute is. Although I think this bit is working as intended.

When you are selecting # of parachutes used, you need to input the number of chutes you placed on the vessel. If you use a single nosecone, you input 1 chute. if you use 3 radial chutes, you input 3 chutes used. This is so that the weight of the vessel can be divided by the number of chutes used and decrease the individual size of each chute(and therefore the price of each chute). If you use 3 chutes and say 1, each chute will be big enough to slow the entire vessel(or will hit max size), with three chutes designed to save the entire vessel it will drift VERY slowly to the ground. If you use 1 chute and say 3 are used, the single chute you placed will be 1/3 the size required to save the vessel and it will crash.[Edit: The vessel, not the game]

As for the stack chute, I don't have access to it yet in my career save, so I can't help with that yet.

@Baythan: Oooh, alright. I got it. So, I believe there's no way to configure each side of the Stack Chute to deploy both Drogues and Main chutes (2 drogues and 2 main in total). It is what it is.

Or I could set two stack chutes, one on top of another. :sticktongue:

Not a problem! At least I know this was not a bug! Thank you for clarifying, Baythan! :)

http://imgur.com/a/Egom4

This is the concept of that parachute. The drogue comes first, slows you down, is cut, and then the main deploys and lands you softly. They are not meant to be deployed at the same time. It's working perfectly as intended, just leave the preset as is :)

Hello all,

Any reason why this mod can't work with x64 version of the game ? I understand why modders don't SUPPORT x64 (I woulnd'y neither) but why mod don't even load on this platform ?

Basically, imho, x64 version is much more reliable than 32 bits version since I can load much more mods without memory issue, which is the main reason why x64 should be looked at in the first place.

Hello all,

Any reason why this mod can't work with x64 version of the game ? I understand why modders don't SUPPORT x64 (I woulnd'y neither) but why mod don't even load on this platform ?

Basically, imho, x64 version is much more reliable than 32 bits version since I can load much more mods without memory issue, which is the main reason why x64 should be looked at in the first place.

Because the x64 version for windows is too buggy and unworthy.

It should work just fine with x64 for linux.

Because stupid_chris got fed up of people reporting bugs with this mod that were actually caused by how broken 64-bit KSP is. Also, 64-bit kept crashing on him when he tried to test the mod in it, so how can he support a version of the game he can't even test in?

This is the concept of that parachute. The drogue comes first, slows you down, is cut, and then the main deploys and lands you softly. They are not meant to be deployed at the same time. It's working perfectly as intended, just leave the preset as is :)

I think you misunderstood the concept of my question. I thought two Drogues should deploy (one each side), and then, after the Drogue cut, two main chutes would deploy (one each side, as well), in order to maintain the horizontal balance of the craft.

Either way, this has been clarified by Baythan, and all is cool now. Thank you anyway. :)

Edited by Kowgan

I'm getting this error with newly installed 0.90 and RC1.2.6.1: as the game loads, yellow bar stops at either stack or radial chute part, and it will sit there forever (couldnt wait more than 20 minutes). Witty loading tips keep changing, so I guess game runs. As soon as I ctrl+alt+del out of it, KSP.log is updated with this:

[LOG 20:01:11.032] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/stack_chute/RC_stack'

[ERR 20:01:11.040] Cannot find module 'RealChuteModule' (-152727473)

[EXC 20:01:11.041] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

RealChute.ProceduralChute.LoadChutes ()

RealChute.ProceduralChute.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)

PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)

Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)

PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)

PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

Edited by Corovaneer

@Corovaneer: I think Chris will answer you better than I about the error. But here's a tip: When the launcher freezes in the loading for too long, like yours did, this won't stop the random loading tips to keep cycling. The loading itself might be forever frozen, though. So you don't need to waste so much time anymore. :)

Also, have you installed ModuleManager v2.5.4 or higher?

@Corovaneer: I think Chris will answer you better than I about the error. But here's a tip: When the launcher freezes in the loading for too long, like yours did, this won't stop the random loading tips to keep cycling. The loading itself might be forever frozen, though. So you don't need to waste so much time anymore. :)

Also, have you installed ModuleManager v2.5.4 or higher?

I only waited once in case it was related to texture manager. Then I deleted radial chute part, and stack part error appeared. Then I deleted it too and game loaded.

I have MM2.5.6

I think you misunderstood the concept of my question. I thought two Drogues should deploy (one each side), and then, after the Drogue cut, two main chutes would deploy (one each side, as well), in order to maintain the horizontal balance of the craft.

Either way, this has been clarified by Baythan, and all is cool now. Thank you anyway. :)

Not sure how I clarified any issue with the stack chute. I've only just unlocked it in my career mode and haven't really messed with it. My guess is that only double chute can do both drogue and main chutes from the same compartment, and the stack chute can only do one chute from each compartment, so you'd have to set it to have a drogue come from one and the main from the other... which would cause the vessel to twist over as they change.

It would be cool to have the stack chute set up with two drogues and two mains, allowing it to drop station section on planets upright (again, still haven't messed with it, so I don't know that it can or can't do this or if there's another part that can).

Nope, only one drogue, that's intended.

I'm getting this error with newly installed 0.90 and RC1.2.6.1: as the game loads, yellow bar stops at either stack or radial chute part, and it will sit there forever (couldnt wait more than 20 minutes). Witty loading tips keep changing, so I guess game runs. As soon as I ctrl+alt+del out of it, KSP.log is updated with this:

Cannot help you without a log.

They break the moment that they are suppose to deploy. If I'm only using a single main chute, it breaks on pre-deployment and my craft crashes into the ground :( On the SDHI chutes, when the drogues "deploy" at say 19000m, then they instantly break and the craft free falls until the main chute deploys. The autocut is not set until about 900m when the mains deploy.

They break the moment that they are suppose to deploy. If I'm only using a single main chute, it breaks on pre-deployment and my craft crashes into the ground :( On the SDHI chutes, when the drogues "deploy" at say 19000m, then they instantly break and the craft free falls until the main chute deploys. The autocut is not set until about 900m when the mains deploy.

Sounds like you're using Deadly Reentry and deploying too early.

Heya folks, just a little bit of info here:

I'm leaving tomorrow for a cruise in the Carribeans. I'm bringing my laptop along, but as you might know, having an internet connection in the middle of the ocean is pretty expansive and extremely slow. sumghai is still working on the icons, and I believe he's nearly done. I'm staying at a hotel tomorrow night, so if the icon is not just done yet tomorrow, I'll push the code changes I've made for the duration of my trip.

I'll be back on January 5th, so with that, happy holidays to all of you!

Chris

There you go guys, had some time to wrap up this update in the plane and at the hotel, so here's v1.2.6.2!

Changelog:

December 26th 2014
v1.2.6.2
-Fixed compatibility issue with FAR
-Added a right click menu to modify the size of the parachute case if the action groups are not available yet
-Added a setting which automatically adjusts the size of the canopy while changing case size through right click menu
-New editor RealChute icon by sumghai!
-RealChute logo updated to be clearer in the filter by manufacturer tab
-Moved parachute specific GUI to it's own object
-Fixed a bug where the combo chute would have two main sized chutes
-Updated to ModuleManager 2.5.6
-RealChute parts are now only visible in the "Parachutes" category
-Fixed a bug where RealChute contracts would not display the RealChute/Wenkel logos correctly

This fixes a handful of bugs, and the new icons are there, so enjoy!

That being said, the boat is leaving tomorrow, so I'll see y'all in 2015, happy holidays to everyone :)

Chris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.