[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Be advised that as of now (9:35 PM, EDT) CKAN is not installing the latest version. Latest version on kerbalstuff is 1.3.2.1, CKAN installs 1.3.2

Replacing 1.3.2 with 1.3.2.1 fixes a number of problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Bug report:

RealChute 1.3.2.1

When it is installed, the Engineer's Report always says that the is no paracute: This command pod has crew assigned but no parachute attached.

It doesn't seem to affect the ship itself, just the engineer's report

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm running into a problem on the previous version (won't upgrade to 1.0 until all my favorite mods are upgraded) wherein the realchutes panel in the action groups editor doesn't show up when I click on a part with the real chutes module. I've read earlier in this thread that when AVC finds a compatibility error, real chutes won't load, but that leaves me wondering how I'm supposed to fix this without updating to the newer version designed for 1.0 since I'm still on 0.90? I guess that's the first question, with the second being, is this really the cause of the issue? I've had this problem intermittently in the past while using this version, so I'm not really sure if the new version release is the real culprit...

You can't use RealChute 1.3.2.x on KSP 0.90. It's made for 1.0. In the same way you can't use 1.3.1 on KSP 1.0. You can find 1.3.1 on KerbalStuff if you're still on 0.90.

I am really enjoying this mod, but them being free in Career mode is irking me.

Is there a suggested cost for the parachutes?

They have a cost

Be advised that as of now (9:35 PM, EDT) CKAN is not installing the latest version. Latest version on kerbalstuff is 1.3.2.1, CKAN installs 1.3.2

- - - Updated - - -

Bug report:

RealChute 1.3.2.1

When it is installed, the Engineer's Report always says that the is no paracute: This command pod has crew assigned but no parachute attached.

It doesn't seem to affect the ship itself, just the engineer's report

Read the last few pages, I answered that at least six times now.

You can't use RealChute 1.3.2.x on KSP 0.90. It's made for 1.0. In the same way you can't use 1.3.1 on KSP 1.0. You can find 1.3.1 on KerbalStuff if you're still on 0.90.

They have a cost

Read the last few pages, I answered that at least six times now.

Oops. You're correct. I was dealing with a number of issues, and just wanted to get this reported.

Thanks

LGG

I am using 1.3.1 with 0.90, I guess I should have been more specific about what I meant by being on the previous version. Either way, I've temporarily removed the version file and that seems to have fixed the issue for now.

- - - Updated - - -

CKAN is now installing the correct version

Just a quick question, and sorry if its been answered before, but I didn't see it anywhere, with the new aero system in KSP 1.0, do the cone shaped real chutes behave as a cone shape, like the aero nose cones, or not?

Just one question: how should one use RealChutes in 1.0? I'm using the chutes exactly as I did in 0.90, but when I deploy my drogue chutes I get ~41 gs of de-acceleration. What's wrong?

I've also noticed that if you select a target planet and apply the changes, they sometimes don't when you re-load the ship. For example, if I choose Duna and apply it, the next time I load the ship the default values (for Kerbin) is back.

Just one question: how should one use RealChutes in 1.0? I'm using the chutes exactly as I did in 0.90, but when I deploy my drogue chutes I get ~41 gs of de-acceleration. What's wrong?

I've also noticed that if you select a target planet and apply the changes, they sometimes don't when you re-load the ship. For example, if I choose Duna and apply it, the next time I load the ship the default values (for Kerbin) is back.

Yeah I feel like the chutes a little more on the forceful side even though I deploy them at higher altitudes.

Added this to the OP.

Issues that do not follow the bug reporting format will be ignored
Just a quick question, and sorry if its been answered before, but I didn't see it anywhere, with the new aero system in KSP 1.0, do the cone shaped real chutes behave as a cone shape, like the aero nose cones, or not?

This is done automatically by the game, so yes.

Edited by stupid_chris

Thanks for the update this is so much better than the vanilla ones.

tho the only problem iv had is the sizing options diapering sometimes but iv now clue what happening.

If you're speaking about career: before you unlock the action groups, you resize with the right click menu. After you unlcok them, you resize with the action groups menu.

I'm not sure it's an issue in RealChutes itself, hence no bug report. But as you clearly read my post, you are allowed to answer it.

When reporting issues, the responsibility lies with the user experiencing the issue to:

- firstly ensure that the bug can actually reproduced reliably without the interference of unrelated components

- follow proper bug report guidelines to streamline the investigation process

As frustrating it is for users to experience a given issue, it is even more frustrating for add-on authors to have to pick through poorly-formatted and/or uninformative bug reports, because add-on authors can't read minds, nor can they magically know the exact state of your game installation. It's no good saying "it might be RealChutes, it might not", because for all stupid_chris knows, it might actually be a problem with another conflicting add-on or even PEBKAC.

All add-on authors have every right to ignore unhelpful bug reports.

When reporting issues, the responsibility lies with the user experiencing the issue to:

- firstly ensure that the bug can actually reproduced reliably without the interference of unrelated components

- follow proper bug report guidelines to streamline the investigation process

As frustrating it is for users to experience a given issue, it is even more frustrating for add-on authors to have to pick through poorly-formatted and/or uninformative bug reports, because add-on authors can't read minds, nor can they magically know the exact state of your game installation. It's no good saying "it might be RealChutes, it might not", because for all stupid_chris knows, it might actually be a problem with another conflicting add-on or even PEBKAC.

All add-on authors have every right to ignore unhelpful bug reports.

Well, sorry if I was unclear on that. I only have Kerbal Engineer and RealChutes installed.

I'm not sure it's an issue in RealChutes itself, hence no bug report. But as you clearly read my post, you are allowed to answer it.

I'm also allowed to ignore it. sumghai is right on all the line. Bug hunting is a hard, long, and tedious process. I don't currently have the time to sort through incomplete bug reports and figure out what is wrong and why, or even if it's in my code.

If you're speaking about career: before you unlock the action groups, you resize with the right click menu. After you unlcok them, you resize with the action groups menu.

and now i feel dumb.

well i guess i should read the bloody manual next time.

well there is nothing else to say but this is a brilliant mod

In case anyone else had this issue (100% not RealChute issue):

I was using the Phoenix Industries Stock Bug Fix Modules that included a fix for the parachute drag to make them more in-line with what they should of been (while I was waiting for RealChute, of course!). When I installed the newest version of RealChute and tried to load a ship, the game would never load the ship -- only showing a black screen with "NULL" on altitude, speed, and etc. I went and deleted the parachute fix folder from the StockBugFixModules, flushed my PartDatabase.cfg file, and then everything is working again.

Again, RealChute just plain rocks and this is in no way a RealChute issue; just posting in case someone else might of done this and has unexpected issues!

Aha! Good find.

I suppose If I need a reminder as to what the Bugfix Modules were *fixing* with parachutes, then deleting the fix might let me find out soon enough. At least it keeps my ships from plunging into oblivion. :) Oddly, though. I wasn't having trouble with ships that only had realchute parts. Only the vanilla parachute parts caused the Kraken.

I just thought it was stupid_chris enforcing brand loyalty.

I am not sure what it caused but I find it rather hard to land safely with parachutes now with KSP 1.0. when my velocity gets under 400 m/s and i open the parachute, i am almost near the ground already and the parachutes take to long to fully open, so i will land very rough. Happened already a few times now. Never experienced this with Ferram and KSP 0.9. At what velocities will the parachutes be undeployable? Or what governs whether or not the parachute will break when opened?

Chris (or anyone),

I may just be missing it, but isn't there a setting where the chutes can be ARMED in staging, rather than DEPLOYED? Or is this a capability of the stock chutes only? It's very handy to have the chutes go armed at pod separation from a service module (staging trigger of a decoupler...) rather than having to do it manually, or set up an action group...

There is (or it was at 0.90 at least) a realChute button in space center overview (main) screen. It toggle small config menu, where option "Arm when deployed" is located.

I am not sure what it caused but I find it rather hard to land safely with parachutes now with KSP 1.0. when my velocity gets under 400 m/s and i open the parachute, i am almost near the ground already and the parachutes take to long to fully open, so i will land very rough. Happened already a few times now. Never experienced this with Ferram and KSP 0.9. At what velocities will the parachutes be undeployable? Or what governs whether or not the parachute will break when opened?

The chutes break on deployment in stock because stock pulls too hard. This won't happen with RealChute. It's safe to deploy your chutes when reentry heating stops.

Chris (or anyone),

I may just be missing it, but isn't there a setting where the chutes can be ARMED in staging, rather than DEPLOYED? Or is this a capability of the stock chutes only? It's very handy to have the chutes go armed at pod separation from a service module (staging trigger of a decoupler...) rather than having to do it manually, or set up an action group...

In the Space Center, look at the top left, parachute icon. Click it and it'll pop up an options menu for RealChute which will bring up an option that does what you want to do.