[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I've been having an issue for a while over several different versions of KSP and RC in that when I mount a selection of radial chutes, the chutes won't implement, or remember that I've set the material to Kevlar. Even if I select one chute and set the material to Kevlar and hit Apply to Symmetry, the material is not copied to the other parts. All the other attributes are correctly carried over, but not the chute material.

It applies even if I create a new preset. I can adjust the chute's stats correctly, but when I select the new preset the material will always be set to nylon. I also have to go around the rocket and select each radial chute manually and changed the material to Kevlar. 

TBH I haven't tested it with Silk as I never use that material. 

Mod List below. Anyone else having this problem?  I assume it's a known issue since it's been happening to me for more than a year but it never seems to be corrected. Any other information I need to provide?

Spoiler

[x] Science! (xScience v5.9)
Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone) (AlcubierreStandalone 0.6.1.0)
B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings - Fork (B9-PWings-Fork 1:0.40.13)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v1.9.0)
Canadian Flags (CanadianFlags 1.0)
CapCom - Mission Control On The Go (CapCom 2.7)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.93)
Collision FX (CollisionFX v4.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.7.1.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.2.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.23.1)
Contract Parser (ContractParser 7.0)
Crowd Sourced Science (CrowdSourcedScience v4.1)
Cryogenic Engines (CryoEngines 1:0.5.6)
Cryogenic Tanks (CryoTanks 0.4.6)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 0.4.6)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.9.1)
Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.9.1)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.3.10)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.7.0)
Docking Port Sound FX (DockingPortSoundFX v2.1.12)
Dynamic Battery Storage (DynamicBatteryStorage 1:0.4.6)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.13.1)
EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (EVAParachutes 0.1.14)
EVA Transfer (EVATransfer 7.0)
ExceptionDetector (ExceptionDetector 3)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.6.0)
Fuel Tank Expansion Rebuilt (MunarIndustriesFTX 0.9.5.4)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.4.0)
Impact! (Impact v1.6.0)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 2.6.3)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0)
Kerbal Atomics (KerbalAtomics 1:0.4.6)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.3.0)
Kerbal Reusability Expansion (SpaceXLegs 2.5.1)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.3.0)
Mk2 Stockalike Expansion (Mk2Expansion 2:1.7.7.1)
Mk3 Stockalike Expansion (Mk3Expansion 1.3.5)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.8.1)
Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE-2 (NavballDockAlignIndCE 1.0.2)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 0.8.3)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 0.9.4)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 0.9.4)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 1.0.2)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 0.9.3)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 0.8.5)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 0.8.5)
Pood's Milky Way Skybox (PoodsMilkyWaySkybox 1.0.0)
Precise Maneuver (PreciseManeuver 2:2.3.1)
Progress Parser (ProgressParser 8.0)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.4)
Reentry Particle Effect (ReentryParticleEffect 1.2a)
SCANsat (SCANsat v18.0)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.7.2)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v2.6.0)
Trajectories (Trajectories 1.7.0)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.2.0)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.9.2.0)
VesselMover Continued (VesselMoverContinued 1.6.0)

On 1/25/2017 at 3:10 AM, dlrk said:

Is there anyway to keep symmetric radial chutes from clipping into each other?

I looking for the same thing. change log says it is possible since v0.3.2 but I dont know how

On 7/30/2017 at 8:21 AM, Kurld said:

So, is there some way not to have a secondary chute on the "stack" RealChute part?  I don't need/want one.

delete it on the gamedata folder

On 7/25/2017 at 6:52 PM, felcas said:

Soo, I understand the reasons. But I was thinking more like a feature that is just available in case the player want to use, I think it is just cool to have automated tasks, it is my playstyle, but you are the developer, not me. I am happy with what I already have, thanks.

I found 2 little problems, would you mind to have a look into them?

1st-When a long stage touches water (even with some inclination) the parachutes are cut, diferent from when they touch ground, which they fall off with the chutes still open. What follow is that the stage falls to the side and hit hard exploding. Sometimes on the ground the stage touches, speed reaches zero and chutes are cut, but the stage is actually not stable, then it fall to the side but the chutes are gone. 

Is it possible to add a feature to keep chutes for a few seconds after the stage land and reach zero?

2nd-I made a lot of tests to find the safe speeds on diferent altitudes and to better understand how Realchutes works and I found out the status indicator show SAFE on too high speed, as the light goes from yellow (or red?) to grey, I deployed but the parachutes are cut because of airforces. If I am not mistakenly the light change to SAFE around 450, I wrote down all the data but all of them are at home and I am now travelling and I wont be back home for a couple of weeks now. By the way all the above is for LOW ATMOSPHERE KERBIN ONLY (light blue band). The status light is working normally at medium and high atmosphere (dark blue and black band on atmos. indicator).

Thanks

Felipe

First one is surprisingly hard to implement. If I just time it, the craft might actually be stable. This could produce a lot of weirdness. Adding a buffer time is definitely not a good solution. It's important to note that the chutes already uses the parts speed, not the crafts speed. Where I'm going is that there's no ideal solution to this problem. It's going to do wonky things no matter how that's set up, this is a limitation of having simulated parachutes and not emergent behaviour which would require cloth physics... and I'm not touching this in Unity. I recommend you try to land your crafts in a stable position.

For the second, the indicator is not a truth teller. It's a helping tool to give you a gross idea of what might or might not work. My personal rule of thumb is to not deploy any main chute above 5km up and above 250m/s, and a drogue above 8km and above 330m/s

On 7/30/2017 at 7:21 AM, Kurld said:

So, is there some way not to have a secondary chute on the "stack" RealChute part?  I don't need/want one.

Nope, it's either a stack (double deployed chute) or combo (main/drogue).

15 hours ago, Ricardo.b said:

delete it on the gamedata folder

Not what I meant. I like the stackable part, I just don't want it to have two chutes.  I wound up editing the part config to remove the second one.

It would be super nice to have the extra chute be optional.

Edited by Kurld
typo

18 minutes ago, Kurld said:

Not what I meant. I like the stackable part, I just don't want it to have two chutes.  I would up editing the part config to remove the second one.

It would be super nice to have the extra chute be optional.

I've only learnt ModuleManager a week or so, so I make no claims that this won't destroy your game or wipe every hard disk in your house, but a quick test seemed to show this will remove the second chute entry in the part.

@PART[RC_stack]:NEEDS[RealChute]:AFTER[RealChute]
{
	@MODULE[RealChuteModule]
	{
		!PARACHUTE,1 {}
	}
}

It configures and deploys seemingly correctly, but I really have no idea how it will work in actual operation, that's for you to discover :sticktongue: Also this would be an unofficial change to the RealChute operation, so I wouldn't expect any support when trying it out.

This looks correct enough.  For my own purposes, I find it just as easy to simply comment out the relevant bits from the config file.  In any case it seems to work OK.  Nobody has died (yet).

3 hours ago, Kurld said:

This looks correct enough.  For my own purposes, I find it just as easy to simply comment out the relevant bits from the config file.  In any case it seems to work OK.  Nobody has died (yet).

The advantage of using a mini-cfg is that it will stay even if a new version of RealChute is downloaded, saving effort repeatedly! A neat trick is to put any such cfg's in a separate folder within gamedata, where it is easier to keep track of them.

• 1 month later...

OK, this isn't a big report, it's more of a "has anyone seen this weirdness before?" question. If the answer is no, I'll do more digging before I even chose what thing needs a big report.

I'm doing up some (well updating to 1.2.2 from 1.0.5, it's been a while) real cute and realism overhaul config for some chutes in a mod. And they function. That is, they deploy correctly, cut when asked etc. But rc isn't using the meshes or animations it's been told to use. With one exception. One chute, a ballute, appears out of thin air and inflates to full when it should be going from partly deployed to fully deployed. So that bit is fine. But the initial deployment is kaput. Without visuals, I'm not 100% sure the other chute wouldn't do the same. It might not be triggering full deployment.

I've checked the obvious things. Mesh names. Animation stage names. I'm no where near my wit's end, but find myself thinking about it while away from my computer. And I can ask if someone's seen this before from my phone, even if I can't go check stuff from here.

And, like most times when sitting down to write out a question I find I've established a few paths to check. Namely, I should check the mm patch cache to verify in patching what I think I'm patching.

Never mind. Turned out to be mm confusion with old versions of the same parts.

Never mind the nevermind, turned out I was managing to test without real chute installed for a bit.  I think it's more about me being daft with MM config and not being explicit about AFTERs.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

I have a question. Why doesn't parachute spread work with RealChute? Or rather, why hasn't RealChute integrated this functionality? Kind of annoying to have better chutes in Realchute but no spread like in stock.

On 9/24/2017 at 1:43 PM, G'th said:

I have a question. Why doesn't parachute spread work with RealChute? Or rather, why hasn't RealChute integrated this functionality? Kind of annoying to have better chutes in Realchute but no spread like in stock.

There is a configurable spread angle.  Which, while arguably not as good as the new stock auto-spreading, was there quite a bit earlier.  If you'd like to implement the stock spread in the code for real chutes, I'm sure a pull request will be considered.

Just started using this mod in Kerbal ... and I'm getting inconsistent results with the chutes auto-deploying?   I haven't unlocked action groups yet in this current career so maybe the defaul config just doesn't like my descent speeds ... I do notice that when it does work I see the message "waiting for negative velocity" (or something to that affect).

Edited by Mordrehl

It looks like a KSP 1.3.1 change causes problems - the RealChute subcategory doesn't show up (KSP 1.3.1, ModuleManager 2.8.1, and RealChute 1.4.4).  The full log is on DropBox, although the salient is probably here (this occurs when going into the VAB to edit):

[ERR 12:57:10.186] Exception handling event onGUIEditorToolbarReady in class RCToolbarManager:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer.AddCustomSubcategoryFilter (KSP.UI.Screens.Category mainFilter, System.String subFilterName, System.String subFilterdisplayName, RUI.Icons.Selectable.Icon icon, System.Func`2 exclusionFilter) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at RealChute.RCToolbarManager.AddFilter () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 12:57:10.189] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer.AddCustomSubcategoryFilter (KSP.UI.Screens.Category mainFilter, System.String subFilterName, System.String subFilterdisplayName, RUI.Icons.Selectable.Icon icon, System.Func`2 exclusionFilter)
	RealChute.RCToolbarManager.AddFilter ()
	EventVoid.Fire ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventVoid:Fire()
	KSP.UI.Screens.<SetInitialState>c__Iterator129:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
	KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer:Setup()
	KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPanels:ShowPartsList(Action)
	EditorLogic:SelectPanelParts(Boolean)
	EditorLogic:StartEditor(Boolean)
	<Start>c__Iterator32:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

I tried to recompile locally, but my installation of VS Express 2013 doesn't like some of the tokens it sees in the RC source.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:07 PM, MOARdV said:

It looks like a KSP 1.3.1 change causes problems - the RealChute subcategory doesn't show up (KSP 1.3.1, ModuleManager 2.8.1, and RealChute 1.4.4).  The full log is on DropBox, although the salient is probably here (this occurs when going into the VAB to edit):

[ERR 12:57:10.186] Exception handling event onGUIEditorToolbarReady in class RCToolbarManager:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer.AddCustomSubcategoryFilter (KSP.UI.Screens.Category mainFilter, System.String subFilterName, System.String subFilterdisplayName, RUI.Icons.Selectable.Icon icon, System.Func`2 exclusionFilter) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at RealChute.RCToolbarManager.AddFilter () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 12:57:10.189] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer.AddCustomSubcategoryFilter (KSP.UI.Screens.Category mainFilter, System.String subFilterName, System.String subFilterdisplayName, RUI.Icons.Selectable.Icon icon, System.Func`2 exclusionFilter)
	RealChute.RCToolbarManager.AddFilter ()
	EventVoid.Fire ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	KSP.UI.Screens.<SetInitialState>c__Iterator129:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
	KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer:Setup()
	KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPanels:ShowPartsList(Action)
	EditorLogic:SelectPanelParts(Boolean)
	EditorLogic:StartEditor(Boolean)
	<Start>c__Iterator32:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

I tried to recompile locally, but my installation of VS Express 2013 doesn't like some of the tokens it sees in the RC source.

I found a workaround by editing all "@category = none" to "@category = Utility" in:

GameData\RealChute\ModuleManager\Stock_RealChute_MM.cfg

and "category = none" to "category = Utility" in:

GameData\RealChute\Parts\stack_chute.cfg
GameData\RealChute\Parts\cone_chute.cfg
GameData\RealChute\Parts\cone_double_chute.cfg
GameData\RealChute\Parts\radial_chute.cfg

This made all the parachutes appear in the "Utility" part category.

All seems to be working as expected.

On 10. 10. 2017 at 7:49 PM, KBM said:

I found a workaround by editing all "@category = none" to "@category = Utility" in:

GameData\RealChute\ModuleManager\Stock_RealChute_MM.cfg

and "category = none" to "category = Utility" in:

GameData\RealChute\Parts\stack_chute.cfg
GameData\RealChute\Parts\cone_chute.cfg
GameData\RealChute\Parts\cone_double_chute.cfg
GameData\RealChute\Parts\radial_chute.cfg

This made all the parachutes appear in the "Utility" part category.

All seems to be working as expected.

Thank you very much @KBM! I don't know about other people, but for me that was game breaker since I didn't have any chutes at all, if I used this mod!

Hey folks,

My first time loading up the game since the 1.3.1 update I noticed that all my parachutes have disappeared from the Utility tab in the parts menu in the VAB/SPH, both stock parachutes and the ones that come with Realchute. I have the 1.4.4 version of the mod installed. When I uninstall the Realchutes mod using Ckan the stock chutes reappear. I've compared the .cfg files for stock parachutes and realchutes parts but didn't spot any discrepancies that might be related to the problem.

I apologize if there's already information about this issue online (I've searched but couldn't find it), and the discussion about this problem on the KSP subreddit that has since been archived ends at removing the mod, but that's not an option for me because my career game has vessels in orbit (including a space station around the Mun) that use Realchutes parts. Restarting my career with stock parachutes, or even having to rebuild my munar station is a last resort I'd rather avoid.

Can anyone provide some help or info about this problem?

TL;DR: all parachutes from utilities tab missing since 1.3.1 update, they reappear when Realchutes mod is removed.

1 hour ago, tomskovitch said:

Can anyone provide some help or info about this problem?

TL;DR: all parachutes from utilities tab missing since 1.3.1 update, they reappear when Realchutes mod is removed.

I'd recommend looking at the several posts immediately above yours.