[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

No, that would most likely kill your vessel. Parachutes are not phsyical objects, giving them a collider would literally break your craft when they deploy. KSP has no idea what a parachute is, it is just being told to orient this part of the model in that direction. The only way to prevent them to clip would be to either give them cloth and string physics, or to tell themn to repuls each other to a certain level. Since cloth and string physics would most likely kill everyone's comupter (they really would), I'll have to figure a way to make it work by having them repulse. I already have a proof of concept working with dual parachutes like the stack chutes, so it's a good thing.

Also: short update coming rather rather soon! Fixing a few last bugs that I ommited and that various people pointed out.

Can you also implement failures for example if the parachute attempts to deploy against the wind or if the parachute canister has been damaged?

Alright guys, as promised, a small hotfix of a few last bugs who slipped through, changelog below.

January 8th 2014
v0.3.3.1
*Hotfix*
-Fixed a bug where single parachutes would still not arm propoerly
-Fixed stack main chute configs to have the right canopies so they actually work
-Fixed a problem with staging reset bugging the staging list
-Changed the default drag values of parts to 0.32 to actually match the real stock values
-Changed altitude detection to a faster, safer system
-Hopefully, the change above to altitude detection fixes parachutes deploying too early

Cheers! :)

Cool, thank you. :) Hopefully this will fix a problem I've been having with the American Pack. When I try to use the Orion capsule and Parachute / Docking port, the parachute staging icon appears as normal in the VAB, but disappears from the staging list at launch. Also, when launched, the view of the vessel 'detaches' a few thousand feet in the air, and gets left behind by the now-uncontrollable ship which keeps ascending normally, as far as I can tell. Nothing falls off the ship, I assure you, and I definitely am 'control(ling) from here' the Orion pod. Oh, also, if I DO try to activate the chutes before this 'detachment' happens (I was testing the LES), nothing, it's like there are no parachutes mounted at all. Boom. :(

So, anyway, is this something that could be caused by a bad MM file? I've looked at the pod's config, I don't recognize anything being out of whack, it has the original parachute module provided by BobCat, anyway.

Finally, do I need to put the RealChute MM files in each mod's folder, or should they stay in the RealChute folder. The 'readme' didn't say to do that, it says explicitly to simply place the RealChute folder in GameData, and that's all.

So, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :P

Cool, thank you. :) Hopefully this will fix a problem I've been having with the American Pack. When I try to use the Orion capsule and Parachute / Docking port, the parachute staging icon appears as normal in the VAB, but disappears from the staging list at launch. Also, when launched, the view of the vessel 'detaches' a few thousand feet in the air, and gets left behind by the now-uncontrollable ship which keeps ascending normally, as far as I can tell. Nothing falls off the ship, I assure you, and I definitely am 'control(ling) from here' the Orion pod. Oh, also, if I DO try to activate the chutes before this 'detachment' happens (I was testing the LES), nothing, it's like there are no parachutes mounted at all. Boom. :(

So, anyway, is this something that could be caused by a bad MM file? I've looked at the pod's config, I don't recognize anything being out of whack, it has the original parachute module provided by BobCat, anyway.

Finally, do I need to put the RealChute MM files in each mod's folder, or should they stay in the RealChute folder. The 'readme' didn't say to do that, it says explicitly to simply place the RealChute folder in GameData, and that's all.

So, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :P

That does mean something is wrong, I've encountered that when I had bad names set in my configs. I'd need your output_log.txt to help. And do exactly as the ReadMe says, make sure you remove older ModuleManager files. If you have some in the specific mod folders, you'll need to remove those.

That does mean something is wrong, I've encountered that when I had bad names set in my configs. I'd need your output_log.txt to help. And do exactly as the ReadMe says, make sure you remove older ModuleManager files. If you have some in the specific mod folders, you'll need to remove those.

Right, no, I'm sure I have only one ModuleManager.dll installed, and it's the latest, v1.5.6. Hmm, I'm wondering if I DO have some MM configs floating around in the individual folders, though. I'm sure I don't remember deleting them. Except, I KNOW I don't have one in the American Pack folder, because I just reinstalled the Orion parts after not having had them for a while due to lack of memory. But since I got Memory Reduction 2-10 (that actually WORKS without borking half my textures) I was able to fit it back in.

Eh, anyway, I'll check some things next time I fire up KSP, but it prolly won't be 'til Friday evening. But if the problem persists, yes, I'll look into sending you a log file.

Thanks, Chris. :)

Hey stupid_chris, I had a quick question about either an addition to this mod or maybe just some advice. I am trying to put your chutes on a couple of spaceplanes and I want them to come down onto their wheels, so i need some chutes near the nose and some near the tail. Now besides many many trials and errors is there any secret to placing these things? could we get something almost like RCS build aid + PWB fuel balancer; where you set the angle you want to come down at and it gives you a indicator when you have your chutes balanced? or even just an arrow indicating the angle you will be at with your current setup?

Hey stupid_chris, I had a quick question about either an addition to this mod or maybe just some advice. I am trying to put your chutes on a couple of spaceplanes and I want them to come down onto their wheels, so i need some chutes near the nose and some near the tail. Now besides many many trials and errors is there any secret to placing these things? could we get something almost like RCS build aid + PWB fuel balancer; where you set the angle you want to come down at and it gives you a indicator when you have your chutes balanced? or even just an arrow indicating the angle you will be at with your current setup?

Possibly, but not now, I have other priorities for now. Might do in the future if I feel it is needed. Else, simply spacing them equally from the COM should do the job.

Well, do they?

This is the only thing keeping me from downloading. :rolleyes:

Using the included stock ModuleManager file, yes :) Sorry, had missed your post.

Ah, don't worry, that happens all the time. :)

*Yawn. I'll download it tomorrow morning. It's already 2am here...

If you want to keep the stock chutes like they are now, you have to REMOVE the stock MM .cfg. If you want them to have RealChute functions, don't delete the stock MM .cfg.

Checked on my side, working normally. I suggest you double check for lost configs.

Well, I double checked everything. I had a few left in other mods, so I got rid of those, and fired up the game again. Same problems, no change. I don't think the problem has anything to do with RealChutes, I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the American Pack itself, probably just because it's an older mod that doesn't play well with KSP 0.23. At least not for me.

But thanks for your help anyway, greatly appreciated. :)

Well, I double checked everything. I had a few left in other mods, so I got rid of those, and fired up the game again. Same problems, no change. I don't think the problem has anything to do with RealChutes, I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the American Pack itself, probably just because it's an older mod that doesn't play well with KSP 0.23. At least not for me.

But thanks for your help anyway, greatly appreciated. :)

Could you drop your GameData folder on Dropbox as well as your output_log.txt? I'd like to see what's going on anyway, if the American Pack is working for me there's a reason it doesn't for you.

Installed v0.3.3.1, 1,25 m stack chute doesn't show up visually during predeployment phase.

4wu0.png

It deploys ok, sound is there, speed is falling, but no canopies are visible =\

P.S. I also installed Active Texture Management mod together with this version. Can it be just a texture bug?

It's not a texture bug, it's an issue with the config. Here's the fix I figured out and implemented in my own install:

In large_chute_stack.cfg, the RC_main_large_stack had two single canopies set in the models and the module, yet the anims in the modules were for two triple-chutes. I swapped both caps to use chute and chute2 anims respectively, and it seems to be working as intended now.

Posted the above in the RealChute Dev thread, so Chris gets a heads-up.

The program was done on Windows 8 64bit VS, so it might causes compatibility problems with old 32bit OS :/ this will be integrated in the game rather soon, so at least there's that.

I'll be looking forward to that update for sure. :) In the meantime, how do we make those calculations by hand?