[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Hi man, first of all great mod :)

Second, I loose the ability to tweak your chutes, at some point in career, the option simply dissapear in VAB :/

Do u know a quick fix or some ?

No, you *gain* a way to to tweak them. Once you unlock the action groups in the VAB/SPH, you need to head there to tweak the parachutes by clicking on one.

Hello Chris

Awesome mod you created congratulation.

I do like that it has created a "parachutes" tab on the partlist. Very clever.

I'd like to ask something:

How can I set it up to use the Blizzy's toolbar instead of the stock one?

And where to look at if I'd like to know more about that 3 option?

Thank you in advance

Hello Chris

Awesome mod you created congratulation.

I do like that it has created a "parachutes" tab on the partlist. Very clever.

I'd like to ask something:

How can I set it up to use the Blizzy's toolbar instead of the stock one?

And where to look at if I'd like to know more about that 3 option?

Thank you in advance

I don't upport Blizzy's Toolbar, so you can't unless you code it yourself. As for your second question I'm not sure to understand.

I don't upport Blizzy's Toolbar, so you can't unless you code it yourself. As for your second question I'm not sure to understand.

As for the toolbar... it is a shame :( (All the best mods use it (except this one))

I'd sure code it and let you use it if I known how to do it.

The other question is about that 3 option which are sitting in your menu (after clicking that button on the toolbar I can see 3 "checkboxes")

I am no english so just their names doesn't mean a lot to me. Where can I read something about what they do?

About the mod: Yesterday tested it and it is indeed very usefull. Finaly I can make a "brakechute" for my spaceplanes. Which is a must have feature since I using FAR. (and I hate it :D to make the athmosphere so thin)

I have a suggestion though, if you wanna add some more functionality: If there is some way to let the players choose if they want to lock the chutes from staging.

I mean an option to just not show them in the staging. (for use only with actiongroups) only as a switchable option on a part basis.

I hope you can understand this one.

As for the toolbar... it is a shame :( (All the best mods use it (except this one))

I'd sure code it and let you use it if I known how to do it.

I know how to do it. I don't want to. You can do it, but it'll be for your own use I'm afraid.

The other question is about that 3 option which are sitting in your menu (after clicking that button on the toolbar I can see 3 "checkboxes")

I am no english so just their names doesn't mean a lot to me. Where can I read something about what they do?

They change the texture of the case, of the canopy, and the model used for the canopy. It's more visual than anything, try them and you'll see.

I have a suggestion though, if you wanna add some more functionality: If there is some way to let the players choose if they want to lock the chutes from staging.

I mean an option to just not show them in the staging. (for use only with actiongroups) only as a switchable option on a part basis.

I hope you can understand this one.

It's been asked a few times and I'm not fond of it since the staging icon is used to indicate what is happening with the parachute.

Thank you. I understand it. And see your point. But still count me in if you change your mind about the offstaging stuff.

SSTO-s are the particular reason why people ask for it (I assume). And as you wrote to someone, It is good to have some sparechutes anyway regardles of what you build. :D

I am looking into the config files to hide icon if it is possible then. If it is just visual stuff and thank you for the answer... (That's why I would liked to use the blizzy's to hide it.)

It's maybe just me, but I like the stockbar clean, Showing only flight related stuff like resources, contracts...

Thank you again.

An keep up the good work.

No I missed your reply, my apologies. Editing it from the action group editor worked as you suggested.

If this is intentional, it's counterintuitive to how many mods work. Just my 2 cents.

If it's about the action groups window, there's plenty of information and links in the OP to figure it out. If it's about the options disappearing, it's either that or you don't get the option to resize at all before you unlock the action groups.

Just popping in to say love the mod and that your avatar drives me up a wall lol.

Thanks for a great mod.

My avatar is probably like this because I drag him along at shows like these, but eh, who knows. My whole body hurts and I'm half deaf but I won't say I regret it :P

Thank you though :)

Edited by stupid_chris

Hey guys, I have a question for all of you.

Over the time, I've been having feedback of the time about the parachutes autocutting. I've had a few people complain that when landing large crafts, the parachutes autocut when the craft touches the grund as the speed briefly drops under the autocut speed.

I'd like to do something to palliate that, but unfortunately I'm unable to think of something that I could reasonably do to fix this. Having the chutes only cut by user input is out of question, some very weird shennanigans can happen if a craft is completely landed and static and the chutes stay deployed. Having the parachute realistically fall alongside the capsule is even further out of question as this involves both cloth and string physics, and this is not happening in Unity with KSP without a level of complexity far out of my reach as well as the reach than the game can take. A timer would cause the same issues, and could be too short in many cases, it's an awful solutions on all sides. There needs to be something to tell the chutes "job's done, you can cut", and unfortunately I'm not able to see any cue to palliate for that. Identifying that the vessel is landed but in an unstable position and that it might topple over is not really possible, unless I'm missing something.

So if anyone has an idea of how I could work around that, please enlighten me, as right now, I'm thinking we'll have to do with them cutting on their own on vertical landing, and that this means you'll have to figure a way to have your craft fall in a stable position.

Having the chutes fall next to the craft realistically would be ideal, but as you pointed out, that's outside the capabilities of KSP.

What if, after vertical velocity reaches zero on touchdown, the plugin does a 1~2s check that there is no horizontal velocity due to unstable landing / tumbling? Once the horizontal velocity settles down close to zero, one could be reasonably confident that the craft is now completely stationary.

Having the chutes fall next to the craft realistically would be ideal, but as you pointed out, that's outside the capabilities of KSP.

What if, after vertical velocity reaches zero on touchdown, the plugin does a 1~2s check that there is no horizontal velocity due to unstable landing / tumbling? Once the horizontal velocity settles down close to zero, one could be reasonably confident that the craft is now completely stationary.

The problem is, when the chute cut, the speed already went very close to zero, under 0.5m/s, and I'm pretty sure on touchdown it initially drops within the double zeros. The problem is that if the craft is not going to topple over and that the speed actually falls to 0, the game is going to crash. The parachute is oriented according to the velocity vector. If that vector is 0, the chute can't orient in the direction 0, and that's going to crash. This is why a check of a few seconds could end up badly.

The problem is, when the chute cut, the speed already went very close to zero, under 0.5m/s, and I'm pretty sure on touchdown it initially drops within the double zeros. The problem is that if the craft is not going to topple over and that the speed actually falls to 0, the game is going to crash. The parachute is oriented according to the velocity vector. If that vector is 0, the chute can't orient in the direction 0, and that's going to crash. This is why a check of a few seconds could end up badly.

Ah, I see.

Can you do something like:

Vector3 chuteVec;

// fixed update
if (ves.speed > 0.5)
chuteVec = -Ves.velocity; // remember where the chute was

drawChute(chuteVec);

To get around that?

That would mean a frozen parachute in the air for 1-2s while the craft is potentially landed.

So as I said, a timer is not a good solution.