[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Yeah, 1/2 the atmospheric density simplifies the calculations somewhat. This goes a long, long way when they get complicated.

Anyway, really looking forward to the next release. :)

Yeah, 1/2 the atmospheric density simplifies the calculations somewhat. This goes a long, long way when they get complicated.

Anyway, really looking forward to the next release. :)

It's a byproduct of calculus I guess, most likely to remove that two that appears when you derive v. Nature just likes to smooth things out this way I guess.

Also, uploading :)

And here we go, RealChute v0.3.2 is up!

Changelog:

December 18th 2013
v0.3.2
KSP 0.23 compatibility update!
-Added combo chutes which contain both a drogue and a main for soft landings in one part
-Added the ability to define a second material for the second parachute
-Added the ability to force the parachutes partially in one direction, thus eliminating clipping chutes on dual parts!
-The force is now applied on the whole vessel, so no more weird hangings if the part origin is weird
-Tweakables! Nearly every value that can be changed in the editor can now be. This is only until I set the editor window up on my side.
-Fixed a bug with parachutes facing downwards on reentry
-Added a random deployment delay for parachutes! They will now take between 0 and 1 second to deploy. This is chose randomly for every parachute
-Every parachute now has random "movement noise" different from every other parachutes currently active
-Said random noise will now appear to be much smoother than before
-Usage of the new EFFECTS node has permited to get rid of FXGroups and to remove all those nasty .wav files all around!

I'll give you guys more info tomorrow for what's coming next, for now, sleep!

Cheers!

LOVELY! Can you get rid of all those separate MM file downloads now? IIRC, those sound files were the only reason for separate downloads for those.

Eventually, yes, for now, I'm heading off to bed, I faced my share deal of bugs tonight, .23 was not aplugin happy update. Finals are oevr now, so I'll have some time to polish the rough edges when I wake up :)

the formula is ½ * rho * v² * Cd * A, and as far as I know, it's exactly what I'm using :)

Also, sorry for the release delay, EFFECTS node toook a little more time than expected and I'm currently tracking a few nasty nullrefs, should be up soon.

********public float DragCalculation(float area, float Cd)
********{
************return atmDensity * sqrSpeed * Cd * area / 2000;
********}

???

Ok, here is a strange one. I put a capsule, the Mk1 and then put any of the combo chute packs, and the total mass of the craft starts increasing.... Only a capsule and a combo, and using MJ or Void, the total mass starts building ... Where and or why, I don't know, but it is growing...

The TWR just is bleeding away to nothing due to this...

H'mm, any ideas ????

Ok, here is a strange one. I put a capsule, the Mk1 and then put any of the combo chute packs, and the total mass of the craft starts increasing.... Only a capsule and a combo, and using MJ or Void, the total mass starts building ... Where and or why, I don't know, but it is growing...

H'mm, any ideas ????

Same as me. The mass keeps increasing. A single chute weighs in at 614 tons, and crushed the rocket underneath.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This only effects the dual chute. Also, those screenshots were taken on a completely unmodded game, just Realchute

Edited by mythbusters844

H'mm, any ideas ????

RC sets part mass according to chute mass. Sounds like it's caught in some kind of loop

H'mm, any ideas ????

Just come to post the exact same thing, I thought I'd messed up with the thrust reduction tweak at first but even if I used a probe body, large SRB and a chute the mass was going up & up.

At least 1,25 m cone seems to ignore spare chute settings, I set to either 0 or 1 and have 5 anyway. Also can't understand: description for this part shows 1 chute, visually deploys 3. So how much actually are there (for size calculation)?

Update: judging by landing speed and diameter settings taken from calculator, there seem to be 1 physical chute.

Edited by Mystique

Just to clarify things, this isn't something that only happens when you use MJ with this, it happens anyway but you don't see it if you don't have something to report your vessel's total mass in the VAB. You can test this by dragging the parachute part and putting it down in the VAB somewhere. You don't even have to attach it to something, it's gaining mass as soon as you drag it out. (test this by waiting a full minute then picking it back up and planting it on the craft) Then put an MJ unit on just so you can see that it's happening independently.

That's #1

#2 is, it doesn't really increase your vessel's mass that I have seen playing with this. Once you get out of the VAB (or probably SPH too) the out of control mass increase doesn't happen. (which doesn't decrease the importance of the bug, since you can't plan your delta-V budget in the VAB like you want)

That's #1

#2 is, it doesn't really increase your vessel's mass that I have seen playing with this. Once you get out of the VAB (or probably SPH too) the out of control mass increase doesn't happen. (which doesn't decrease the importance of the bug, since you can't plan your delta-V budget in the VAB like you want)

This is what I observe, as well. KER and MJ both show decreasing dV / increasing mass, but in actual flight, no problems (using a SDHI drogue + main clamp-o-tron chute with my own numbers for diameters).

This is what I observe, as well. KER and MJ both show decreasing dV / increasing mass, but in actual flight, no problems (using a SDHI drogue + main clamp-o-tron chute with my own numbers for diameters).

For me the mass increase stays onto the launchpad to the point that no amount of engines can lift the craft.