[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Researched parachutes. All parts still say "requires an entry purchase in R&D", I did look around in some add-on threads and saw the same problem. None of the suggested solutions worked for me though. I've tried to add then research and then remove before re-adding again once it's been researched. I've validated the files in steam, clicked on them in R&D and it doesn't work. I have the same problems with the Deadly Re-entry mod and with the heatshields that come along.

In the R&D screen click the tech node (node should display a small number like an iPhone app that is # of unresearched parts in that node). On the right side of the screen scroll the box if needed and click one of the parts that is not yet researched (will have a lighter color grey box around the part). A dialogue box will pop up in the center asking if you'd like to research the part, click research. Then go to VAB/SPH and part will be availible for use.

In the R&D screen click the tech node (node should display a small number like an iPhone app that is # of unresearched parts in that node). On the right side of the screen scroll the box if needed and click one of the parts that is not yet researched (will have a lighter color grey box around the part). A dialogue box will pop up in the center asking if you'd like to research the part, click research. Then go to VAB/SPH and part will be availible for use.

Thanks, I had to look at the first research, I got it now.

Edited by Olsson

Chris, could you look into updating that ancient but awesome Hydra chute?

I'd need a link for that, I don't remember hearing about this.

So, how close is the multi-chute support to being released? I'd really like to install this mod, but I'm too lazy to install it two times shortly after each other.

Not yet. Testing last night gave me a bunch of NullRefs. As I thought I'll have to bughunt a bit. I don't think I'll be able to work on this tonight, I have a bunch of school projects to get done, mainly an E&M physics lab to complete. Depending on how much time I need to spend on finals preparation this week, it should be done for next weekend or beginning of next week I think. Though I can't guarantee anything.

this should be the place(contains tons of older stuff too.)

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/kerbal-space-program-mods

EDIT:

4th entry from the bottom of the home page.

This way too old for me to update. It's not even using the ModuleParachute, runs on legacy format with a lot of now redundant stats, and uses .DAE model format, which isn't supported anymore. It doesn't have a parachute transform and neither components that parachute now need. I mean I could update it, but that would also require a modeler's work to update the model and give it the correct elements, and then a ModuleManager file wouldn't be enough to make it work properly, it will need a whole cfg file on it's own. This isn't a licensed work so I can't touch it and do those things unfortunately and I don't think I could contact the author. This probably more work than making a parachute from scratch, so I don't think I'll be updating this unfortunately.

This pack is a good start but its missing some key realism points. On reentry capsules the drogue and main chutes are contained in the same assembly. Could you create a parachute that includes a drogue and a main, and the drogue deploys first and then automatically cuts and deploys the main at a certain altitude?

This pack is a good start but its missing some key realism points. On reentry capsules the drogue and main chutes are contained in the same assembly. Could you create a parachute that includes a drogue and a main, and the drogue deploys first and then automatically cuts and deploys the main at a certain altitude?

Read the thread. It's not currently possible due to the way the plugin works, but he's working on it. He says so at the top of this very page.

This mod is amazing! In conjunction with Deadly Reentry it has saved many Kerbal lives. Pod coming in too hot? Pop the drogue chute and slow down to a safe speed. If it burns up no big deal! you still have the mains! And now my kerbals can actually survive the chute opening, instead of being slammed into their seats with over 20g's of force. Keep up the good work.

parachute_single is the folder name but the .cfg name is parachuteSingle

It doesn't work unless it is changed to parachuteSingle. In VAB it won't show any change unless it changes, that is how I notice it wasn't working. It won't show the corrected read outs in the VAB.

Nope, "@PART[parachute_single]" is totally correct.

Am I wrong or does a parachute not deploy when it just got predeployed while moving upwards (mustGoDown = true) and then is decoupled without a source of control.

E.g. I have a rocket with 2 uncontroled strapon boosters with parachutes, that get activated on decoupling, I don't think they will open anyway.

Am I wrong or does a parachute not deploy when it just got predeployed while moving upwards (mustGoDown = true) and then is decoupled without a source of control.

E.g. I have a rocket with 2 uncontroled strapon boosters with parachutes, that get activated on decoupling, I don't think they will open anyway.

Are you doing both at the same time? It's possible that the parachutes aren't deployed before they are decoupled. Else, if you have a lot of vertical speed, it is very possible that you are getting out of the physics range before they reach apoapsis and start going down again, so you simply never see them deploy.

parachute_single is the folder name but the .cfg name is parachuteSingle

It doesn't work unless it is changed to parachuteSingle. In VAB it won't show any change unless it changes, that is how I notice it wasn't working. It won't show the corrected read outs in the VAB.

You're right, I'll change it next time I reupload the files.

Also, progress! After being busy with some E&M labs for college or going to a Paramore show, I finally had the time to peak at my code again. Found the faulty line that caused NullRefs, fixed it and had some time to test new deployment code. As expected, it'S buggy. I'll be working on this in my free time, however finals are getting closer, so let's hope I can get this together soon :)

Edited by stupid_chris

I love this mod! Though a few things I feel that needs to be improved is that right now (just like stock) you can practically just deploy a main chute at 500 m without it ripping off. I think that you should have to slow down prior to that and make the main chute just rip off completely if you deploy it at higher speeds to bring some challenge and authenticity. Things like a drogue chute to deploy prior to the main, either main and drogue being together in a duo-staged parachute or seperate parachutes completely.

I love this mod! Though a few things I feel that needs to be improved is that right now (just like stock) you can practically just deploy a main chute at 500 m without it ripping off. I think that you should have to slow down prior to that and make the main chute just rip off completely if you deploy it at higher speeds to bring some challenge and authenticity. Things like a drogue chute to deploy prior to the main, either main and drogue being together in a duo-staged parachute or seperate parachutes completely.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I'm not going for a full reality mod. This mod's goal is to give a better gameplay experience. If you're looking for a full reality mod, it's not this one. This is more realistic, but I'm not aiming for something that mimics real behaviour as closely as it can.

As for duo parachutes, look at the last three pages, this is precisely what I'm working on.

This way too old for me to update. It's not even using the ModuleParachute, runs on legacy format with a lot of now redundant stats, and uses .DAE model format, which isn't supported anymore. It doesn't have a parachute transform and neither components that parachute now need. I mean I could update it, but that would also require a modeler's work to update the model and give it the correct elements, and then a ModuleManager file wouldn't be enough to make it work properly, it will need a whole cfg file on it's own. This isn't a licensed work so I can't touch it and do those things unfortunately and I don't think I could contact the author. This probably more work than making a parachute from scratch, so I don't think I'll be updating this unfortunately.

As an aside, the original page for that mod is still up here. The modder, Deusoverkill, is still active on the forums.

As an aside, the original page for that mod is still up here. The modder, Deusoverkill, is still active on the forums.

Ha, that's nice. Though I took other looks at the part, and I think it doesn't even seem have a parachute transform. Not sure how parachutes worked back then, but it's very different from now. To get this compatible we would have to rebuild the part from ground up. It would essentially be easier to make a new part that looks like it than update it :P

I thought of a mod with a chute...

The SpaceTech Escape Pod (one of the most popular mods on Spaceport). As far as I know, no one has updated it for .22 yet.

That's because Spaceport ratings are broken. It doesn't actually have that many ratings. But yeah, I've messaged the owner months ago to update it with his permission, and I still haven't received an answer. I'd rather not update mods who aren't even updated for .20 :/