[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

If I have two main chutes, say at either end of the craft, which could not be attached in symmetry, I'm wondering how I would set them up? My thought was maybe putting each chute at twice the desired landing speed?

Also, how does the "parachutes used" line work? If I have a single chute model I'm guessing it doesn't display more but just uses more from the max chute supply?

And does anyone have some good advice on chute placement for landing horizontally? Placing stack chutes at either end (with CoM right in the middle) had some issues because chutes were releasing under the craft (still working but not in the position I wanted). Was also thinking maybe a radial chute on top right over the CoM?

If I have two main chutes, say at either end of the craft, which could not be attached in symmetry, I'm wondering how I would set them up? My thought was maybe putting each chute at twice the desired landing speed?

Also, how does the "parachutes used" line work? If I have a single chute model I'm guessing it doesn't display more but just uses more from the max chute supply?

And does anyone have some good advice on chute placement for landing horizontally? Placing stack chutes at either end (with CoM right in the middle) had some issues because chutes were releasing under the craft (still working but not in the position I wanted). Was also thinking maybe a radial chute on top right over the CoM?

You want to set the "parachutes used" entry to indicate the number of parachute parts, set with the same settings, that will be contributing to the desired target speed. You don't have to deploy them all at once, but you will have to deploy all those chutes to achieve your desired descent speed. You can get more complicated, but I presume you want the automatic calculator to come up with the settings, rather than doing it manually.

You might consider deploying the parachutes in an order that helps you bring up the bottom of the stack incrementally. As an example for a retrograde descent, deploy the nose parachute first, then chutes mounted on (what will become) the top side, and only once they rotate it part way, then the tail chute.

Ok that explains a lot. So how does "parachutes used" interact with applying settings on chutes in symmetry?

My issue has been that with the stack chute (that has two chutes) on the tail, one of the two seems to deploy under the vehicle and stay there. Not sure if maybe rotating so they come out to the sides would help?

Ok that explains a lot. So how does "parachutes used" interact with applying settings on chutes in symmetry?

If you click 'Apply to All Symmetry Counterparts' then all chutes will receive the same 'parachutes used' setting.

You have six chutes so you set 'parachutes used' to 6 and you clicked 'apply to all'. Now each chute is configured with that value (six). Each chute knows it is one of six chutes and each one will have an appropriately smaller sized canopy.

Hi,

So I had arrived at Duna and forgot the chutes on my lander, fortunately I had some spares but not the stock ones only Real Radial.

Not sure if this is an issue with KAS or RealChutes, but when attaching the Real Radial Chute it just disappears. It shows in the staging window so assume its attached somehow. I attempted to land however soon as they deployed most things on the screen disappeared and Kerbal Engineer reported NAN for most figures.

I went back to KSC and tested on the pad and its the same issue, the Chute disappears inside the lander can I used.

Any Ideas?

So should the double-cone chute and stack chute have each "parachutes used" set to 2?

Also, any guidelines on pre-deployment/deployment altitudes/pressure? Are there any formulas or something that can be used to find the appropriate speed/altitude/pressure for a given chute to pre-deploy/deploy?

So should the double-cone chute and stack chute have each "parachutes used" set to 2?

If you're using both of the part's parachutes at the same time, yes. If you're using one side as a drogue and the other side as a main, you'll enter 1 because you're using one at a time. The presets are a good example.

So how do I get a drogue chute to be able to open above 350m/s? Because I'd love if drogue chutes were able to as they'd be more useful then and it would make duna landings easier.

Also, what are the effects of different materials? If I understand correctly, they have different drag values meaning that kevlar chute will slow my vessel more with a chute of the same size as the others?

Hi,

So I had arrived at Duna and forgot the chutes on my lander, fortunately I had some spares but not the stock ones only Real Radial.

Not sure if this is an issue with KAS or RealChutes, but when attaching the Real Radial Chute it just disappears. It shows in the staging window so assume its attached somehow. I attempted to land however soon as they deployed most things on the screen disappeared and Kerbal Engineer reported NAN for most figures.

I went back to KSC and tested on the pad and its the same issue, the Chute disappears inside the lander can I used.

Any Ideas?

Are you using surface attach, or node attach?

Actually, either way, you should be able to manually override the orientation of the part using your standard rotation keys (WASDQE) to orient the part the way you want.

Are you using surface attach, or node attach?

Actually, either way, you should be able to manually override the orientation of the part using your standard rotation keys (WASDQE) to orient the part the way you want.

I thought KAS only allowed surface attachment.

And is the current version of Real Chute even verifiably functional with KAS?

Yeah it only has surface attachment (that I've seen). When placing the chute it is snapping to the surface like stock parts do, but soon as you press to attach it moves inside.

I'm guessing realchutes doesn't work with KAS, but I noticed when searching that the mod creator said he would be looking at adding KAS a long time ago.

I thought KAS only allowed surface attachment.

And is the current version of Real Chute even verifiably functional with KAS?

KAS has been replaced by KIS; KAS has been repurposed as "pipes for KIS".

KIS allows both surface and node attachment. You need an Engineer and an electric screwdriver for node attachment.

Any chance of adding the same functionality to RealChutes as contained in the stockbugfixes? It'd be great to get some separation between deployed radial parachutes instead of having them clipping through each other.

KAS has been replaced by KIS; KAS has been repurposed as "pipes for KIS".

KIS allows both surface and node attachment. You need an Engineer and an electric screwdriver for node attachment.

Yes I was calling it KAS, but meant KIS, cant have it without the other. In any case it doesn't work with an engineer and screwdriver to attach the realchute.

Hi,

I'm not sure what's going on, so any idea will help.

This is a problem in my 1.0.2 AND 1.0.3 install

Used to be that you could tweak things in Realchute such as the deployment altitude, atmo pressure, etc.

I just noticed that I can't do that anymore.

I have Realchute 1.3.2.3 installed

Is anyone aware of any mods which might do this? I have a lot, so before I start listing everything, I'm hoping for a little direction.

LGG

Hi,

I'm not sure what's going on, so any idea will help.

This is a problem in my 1.0.2 AND 1.0.3 install

Used to be that you could tweak things in Realchute such as the deployment altitude, atmo pressure, etc.

I just noticed that I can't do that anymore.

I have Realchute 1.3.2.3 installed

LGG

I found the problem.

I had the mod Action Groups Extended installed. When I uninstalled it, the parachute editor came up properly

I've posted a similar message in that forum, would be nice if the two authors could figure out how to make this work.

In the meantime, i don't really need that mod, so I'll just run without it.

LGG

I did some more testing this morning on my 1.0.2 installation, and found what I was remembering

In the stock game, you can adjust the following settings on the stock parachutes, in the VAB by right-clicking on the parachute:

min pressure
altitude

But with RealChutes installed, these two lines are gone, making it overly complicated to adjust these two settings, especially in the early game when you don't have action groups available.

It appears that RealChutes removes the stock parachutes from the ModuleParachute and adds them to the RealChuteModule, which makes sense given what it does. But this removes the stock way of managing a couple of simple parameters.

It seems that RealChutes replaces them with the following:

Semi Time
Deploy Time

And there is a Toggle info button, which shows the RealChute Info Window.

It would be most useful if the first two were put back, if possible. In fact, it would be really nice if the following parameters were available from the right-click menu:

minDeployment
minPressure
deploymentAlt
preDeploymentspeed
deploymentSpeed

This would make it much simpler to use when the full features of the mod aren't required.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Please take this the right way. It is meant as constructive criticism. I think that RealChute is wonderful, but:

RealChute is too complicated, in that you need to go into action groups to make changes, which just doesn't make sense to me. Why should I have to set up an action group if all I want to do is to tune a parachute?

It would make more sense to be able to right-click a parachute and get the editor window from there. Is there any configurable way to do this, or can you do it for the next release?

Thanks

LGG

RealChute is too complicated, in that you need to go into action groups to make changes, which just doesn't make sense to me. Why should I have to set up an action group if all I want to do is to tune a parachute?

This is a hardy perennial. There is a reason why it's that way. (I forget what it is).

This is a hardy perennial. There is a reason why it's that way. (I forget what it is).

If I recall right, the reason it is this way is due to the wealth of information required to setup the parachutes. They are highly configurable, with good reason and need the extra space from a dedicated place to be displayed. Not only that, but you certainly do not want to accidently open all that information with a right-click on your chutes, or have to open the UI Window through each chute (though there is a symmetry toggle inside the GUI to setup symmetry partners).