[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I get a constant spam of "RealChute chute failure" messages. I hope this helps.

Please post a picture of that. I only know of one mod that would log 'chute failure' and that's Deadly Reentry because I just added in logging of chute failures when the chute was deployed at speeds high enough that the chute canopy was exposed to reentry heating. (so if that is the case then it's almost certainly not a Real Chute issue)

Please post a picture of that. I only know of one mod that would log 'chute failure' and that's Deadly Reentry because I just added in logging of chute failures when the chute was deployed at speeds high enough that the chute canopy was exposed to reentry heating. (so if that is the case then it's almost certainly not a Real Chute issue)

Indeed you're right. It seems to be a Deadly Reentry issue.

Hello guys!

The parachute edit menu bugged for me too. Maybe becouse of the X64 version. So, could i enable this mod on 64bit somehow?

I don't know what's the problem with the x64. It's running on my PC very nicely(and uses 4gb of my ram,becouse of the mods).

Edited by Noorbi

I've got a similar issue, where the parachutes don't work at all. The contex menu in the VAB is disabled, meaning that the parachutes are useless shells. Incidentally I also run x64, FAR and DR. Note: I tested in x32 and hat the same issue of having no customization menu.
Hello guys!

The parachute edit menu bugged for me too. Maybe becouse of the X64 version. So, could i enable this mod on 64bit somehow?

I don't know what's the problem with the x64. It's running on my PC very nicely(and uses 4gb of my ram,becouse of the mods).

It's not bugged in Windows-x64, it's disabled in Windows-x64.

If you would like to use RealChutes with 64 bit KSP, you are recommended to use the Linux 64 bit version.

Hello guys!

There is intentionally no way to use stupid_chris's releases on Windows 64-bit because distinguishing people who need help with the mod from people who are just having bad luck with the experimental build causes modder burnout. If you're comfortable building RealChute from source, there's nothing stopping you from compiling a version without the checks for personal use. Just respect stupid_chris's license decision and don't redistribute.

I've been experimenting with my own build of RealChute trying to isolate the problem with stock chutes. I may be making some progress, but whenever I try to open a window that displays the version number in my build, I get this exception and no window:

ArgumentException: There must be 2, 3 or 4 components in the version string.
at System.Version..ctor (System.String version) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealChute.RCUtils.get_assemblyVersion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealChute.SettingsWindow.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I'm building with Mono's command-line xbuild on OS X. Any pointers on how to get my build to report a valid version?

I'm still having issues with my parachutes not deploying through staging. It only works if I deploy using action groups or the right-click menu. This is after Deadly Reentry fixed the console spam. So now I'm not sure if the issue is from Deadly Reentry or ReachChutes or something else entirely. :(

Anyways, this is the console log when it happens:

[LOG 01:47:41.287] [mk1pod (RealChute DE Test)]: Activated <--- I activate the parachute through staging

[LOG 01:47:41.287] [fuelTankSmall]: Activated

[LOG 01:47:41.288] [parachuteSingle]: Activated

[LOG 01:47:44.850] [RealChute]: parachuteSingle was activated in stage 0 <--- 3 seconds later, I press the staging key again

This is on a very simple test vessel. The stack is as follows:

Mk16 Parachute

Command Pod Mk16

FL-T200 Fuel Tank

LV-T45 Liquid Fuel Engine

The problem happens both with RealChute chutes, AND the stock chutes.

Additionally, if I uninstall RealChutes, I don't have this problem. The stock chutes deploy normally through staging (at hilarious and terrifying speeds, of course). This is why I'm getting convinced that it's a RealChute issue.

Edited by Zeenobit

There are quite a few reports of the modified stock chutes not playing nicely when modified by RealChutes in last two pages or so

Until stupid_chris finds a solution, you can delete the Stock_Realchute_MM.cfg which comes with RealChute (the stock chutes will revert to their stock behavior) to solve the problem

I've been experimenting with my own build of RealChute trying to isolate the problem with stock chutes. I may be making some progress, but whenever I try to open a window that displays the version number in my build, I get this exception and no window:

ArgumentException: There must be 2, 3 or 4 components in the version string.
at System.Version..ctor (System.String version) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealChute.RCUtils.get_assemblyVersion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealChute.SettingsWindow.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I'm building with Mono's command-line xbuild on OS X. Any pointers on how to get my build to report a valid version?

I'm not 100% sure about OS X, but we've had a lot of OS-specific problems with assembly info versions in SCANsat, which I believe is what this is asking for.

The only fool-proof method that I've come across so far, at least with Windows and Linux is this:

//This accurately assigns the info version string
string infoVersion;
var ainfoV = Attribute.GetCustomAttribute(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly(), typeof(AssemblyInformationalVersionAttribute)) as AssemblyInformationalVersionAttribute;
if (ainfoV != null)
infoVersion = ainfoV.InformationalVersion;

//Then RealChute asks for a System.Version object
System.Version version = new System.Version(infoVersion);

//This is from the RCUtils method
if (version.Revision == 0)
{
if (version.Build == 0) { return "v" + version.ToString(2); }
return "v" + version.ToString(3);
}
return "v" + version.ToString();

Other methods, and I've seen a few, sometimes don't assign anything, just an empty string, or will assign a different version, like the file or assembly version number.

Those .ToString(2) and .ToString(3) lines are what is throwing the error, since some version without a build or revision number won't have a third or fourth string to return.

"Win64bit detecting changed to prevent it to be disabled" in latest version, does this mean it's enabled (at your own risk) in 64bit?

The current version of RealChute includes a function (named, say, Win64MustDie) to detect if KSP Win64 is being used - if this is true, Win64MustDie will stop RealChutes from working in KSO Win64.

The aforementioned statement simply states that people can't disable the Win64MustDie checking function.

Well it seems that the vessel buster bug is NOT limited to stock cutes.

DcBnaJZ.png

This is the realchute dual chute which was originally set up as a .625 (or whatever the smallest size is) dual main chute. I switched to another orbiting craft, then back to this one only to find this. It seems to have "lost" it's settings, defaulting back to the size it first appears as in the VAB, and of course everything below the capsule is missing.

Perhaps this is a clue? Multiple canopies cause trouble? I can't recall if the Mk16 is made into a multi canopy chute or if it remains a single canopy when modded by RealChute.

I deleted my Module Manager config that alters the stock chutes.

I had the same problem as tg626 (post #2444) with the RealChute Stack Chute.

Interesting fact:

After switching to an other vessel and back to this one. everything beneath my capsule was gone and my crew was missing. However, when I accelerated the time, the rest of the ship reappeared (without crew) as long as I stayed in warp. The vessel was stock besides some ScanSat equipment and a Karbonite detector.

Ok. I'm with you on the matter of demanding users spewing vitriol being unacceptable. I'm with you on wanting to eliminate bug reports originating from an unstable platform, and that you don't support said unstable platform (IE KSP64) but...

I've dug through the thread a bit, not exhaustively, and I can't seem to find any definition of a "correctly formulated bug report". More importantly, it's no where I can see in the Original Post. The closest thing I've seen is "Send me your logs". That's all well and good, but WHAT logs from WHERE? How do you want them submitted?

Remember that the userbase for KSP ranges from kids to computer neophytes to accomplish coders and you can't assume they are the latter.

Now, as soon as I know exactly what you want (and BTW since you were supposed to be taking a break from this, I posted with the mind set that I was addressing other users who were looking into things and not you) I'll submit a bug report of what I just discovered: If you remove RealChute the reputation bar disappears from a Career save and the admin building becomes "locked"...

He wants your ouput_log.txt file if you are on a PC. player.log if Mac or Linux. The support threads elsewhere have detailed instructions on finding them. Those threads are stickied.

I can't give you detailed instructions myself at this time as my access is limited to an iPhone. Just typing this is a hassle.

edit: regarding Chris on break, anyone who can help you here wants the same thing he wants. Or they can't help. And you can post your logs using Dropbox to host them. That is the easiest solution I've seen both for the one posting the logs and the ones who have to retrieve and read the logs.

Edited by Starwaster

Well then...

I tried to recreate, succesfully, the quicksave reloading bug.

I thought I better remove all other mods (except MM of course), so yeah, no other mods involved.

Windows 32bit and latest realchute version by the way.

Output log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a2a048sez5b0sq/output_log.txt?dl=0

What happened:

I started the game, loaded and launched a rocket. It was all fine then and RC was working perfectly fine, I even tested the chutes.

Then later in orbit I was no longer able to load quicksaves...

I never had this before, the f9 key just didn't work.

So I had to go to the space center and load the quicksave from there, which directly resulted in my rocket being buged. The only thing that remained was the docking port, the rest (400 parts) just vanished (although it was glitchly, sometimes the parts showed up for a split second). Oh and the staging was buged too.

I retried loading the quicksave, but with the same result.

-----------------

Now... I'm actually not sure if it's really RealChute (although it's causing nullreferenceexceptions). I experienced something very similar in the pure stock game several times.

Often after reverting to launch the rocket bugs (plus some fancy fx reentry effects on the launchpad), the staging gets messed up and you can no longer control the rocket.

I'll try to recreate the situation in the stock game.

EDIT: I lied, I forgot to remove editor extensions...

UPDATE:

Tried it without RC. The stock game does do some weird things when reverting to launch, but loading quicksaves did work.

Also the issue with the F9 key didn't disappear... no idea, I checked the game settings and it seems to be fine. But see that problem as not RC related.

Edited by slumpie