[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I have a question. Is there something in this plugin that could cause the text area at the top center of the screen in the VAB/SPH to disappear, and not allow text entry? If I click on the area it pulls down the gray window for writing a craft description, but I still can't type anything there, nor can I type a ship name. The save button works fine, but I need to have more ships available to me than just one 'Untitled Space Craft'. :)

The only reason I mention it here is that this problem started when the game updated to 0.23 AND when I installed RealChute (as well as a few other new-to-me mods) at the same time.

Anyway, is anyone else having a similar problem? I'm not saying I'm SURE that it's this mod, I'm just saying it MIGHT be, since the problem started around the same time as I started using this one.

I have quite a few other mods as well, so I'm simply starting my investigation here. :)

Later.

Updated information, everyone. :)

The problem WAS NOT RealChute, thankfully! It turned out to be a weird interaction between UbioZur's Welding plugin - the latest update for 0.23, Playtest 5, ironically - and RCS Build Aid v0.4, which as far as I know is the latest version available. So, if anyone is having my particular problem, I'm just letting you know what fixed it for me. Uh, that is, I deleted the Welding Tool, I can live without that, especially considering that it never really worked right for me anyway. :)

I'm going around to everywhere that I've posted this problem and updating the information.

Later!

http://imgur.com/a/v3kTx#4

RealChute causes your spacecraft to hang upside down from the chutes (and summons the kraken) if the root part of your rocket is below your center of mass.

Tested your theory, and I can confirm that RealChute is not the problem here. You probably have an unstable or heavy craft.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As you can see, everything works fine. That means this is a craft issue. Make sure you weren't on time warp also, that makes things go wonky.

Is there a way to arm the chutes while in-atmosphere, still ascending? I want to be able to fire dumb rockets that will return safely to Kerbin but with no control (out of RT range due to lack of antennas / etc). When I try this, the chute is armed until it hits the edge of atmosphere (~70km) and then the staging icon goes red and the armed text (waiting for negative velocity and velocity readout) on screen disappears, and when it falls back into the atmosphere it won't deploy and goes kabloey.

Is there a way to arm the chutes while in-atmosphere, still ascending? I want to be able to fire dumb rockets that will return safely to Kerbin but with no control (out of RT range due to lack of antennas / etc). When I try this, the chute is armed until it hits the edge of atmosphere (~70km) and then the staging icon goes red and the armed text (waiting for negative velocity and velocity readout) on screen disappears, and when it falls back into the atmosphere it won't deploy and goes kabloey.

Hm, intended behaviour is that if the chute is armed, it stays aremd until it deploys. I'll check that, probably some more deployment clauses fallacies.

If you right click the parachute there is an option for you to disable the wait to vertical

Could someone please be kind enough to explain what all the tweakables on the combo chutes do?

Look at the documentation on the OP, the tweakables only modify the values from the config. Most of them are pretty straightforward. On combo chutes, everything that has "2" is for the drogue.

I want to be able to fire dumb rockets that will return safely to Kerbin but with no control

Do you think it's going to work (i.e. land safely)? I had similiar idea, but instead of rockets I wanted to bombard Kerbin with probes from a (sub)orbital jet in order to collect science from various biomes quickly, but they were just disappearing after I launched them no matter what I did. Then I read forum and found out that thing in atmosphere simply disappear if they get away by 3-4 km from controlled craft, even if they have control module and other vital stuff (I also lost a poor green guy in similiar way when I was trying to land 2 landers at Kerbin - clicked recover button when 2nd lander didn't touch the ground it was considered as lost :( ).

Do you think it's going to work (i.e. land safely)? I had similiar idea, but instead of rockets I wanted to bombard Kerbin with probes from a (sub)orbital jet in order to collect science from various biomes quickly, but they were just disappearing after I launched them no matter what I did. Then I read forum and found out that thing in atmosphere simply disappear if they get away by 3-4 km from controlled craft, even if they have control module and other vital stuff (I also lost a poor green guy in similiar way when I was trying to land 2 landers at Kerbin - clicked recover button when 2nd lander didn't touch the ground it was considered as lost :( ).

Yes, anything that goes under an atmospheric pressure of 0.2atm is automatically killed by the game unfortunately.

Is there any way to "install" realchute behaviour into the FASA Gemini mod parachutes?

Welcome to the forums!

... Stupid Chris, you removed mentionings of FASA MM files being included in the pack on the first post. The changelog doesn't count as most people are just going to pass over it if they're new here.

Anyway, Charles, there is a Module Manager config included in the pack. You just need to download Module Manager, put the Module Manager plugin into Gamedata, and then drag and drop the FASA files in Real Chute into Gamedata.

Any chance of making that parachute calculator in-game? Could add it to the toolbar

Look at the planned features, this had been planned since day one :P

Is there any way to "install" realchute behaviour into the FASA Gemini mod parachutes?
Welcome to the forums!

... Stupid Chris, you removed mentionings of FASA MM files being included in the pack on the first post. The changelog doesn't count as most people are just going to pass over it if they're new here.

Anyway, Charles, there is a Module Manager config included in the pack. You just need to download Module Manager, put the Module Manager plugin into Gamedata, and then drag and drop the FASA files in Real Chute into Gamedata.

Ah sorry, I forgot to add the mentions of them. They're in the main download now, I'll add a mention.

It would be like the movie Gravity, it could just add a little touch to some role play.

Gravity is pretty unrealistic as is, I don'T see any practical way to do that, it would be energy wasted on nothing and would likely break most of m y code by doing this, so no, unfortunately.

Now on another note, what's in front of us for RealChute!

For now, I have one last update coming to the module itself. I've had some request from Sarbian to move things around for MJ compatibility, as well as from NathanKell for DRE compatibility. Atop of this, there is two more things I need to modify a little in the module, as well as fixing the current bugs when arming parachutes. I've been taking a break from code for now to let my brain in peace a little after all those finals, until now. I should get back to this tomorrow or the 26th, depending on how I feel and how busy I actually am.

Once that is done, mI'll get onto learning Unity GUI. I already have a small part assimilated, but I should get around to that more in January I believe.

Until then, happy holidays folks!

Cheers :)

Have you considered adding the in-game calculator functionality straight into the tweakables? Mass, drag, and the number and type of parachutes are all values that the code can figure out (admittedly it might get tricky if weird staging is used). That just leaves planet and touchdown speed as user inputs, and the latter could probably be left as a fixed value. So one or two sliders and an "adjust chute" button in the tweakables could automatically alter the diameter.

Have you considered adding the in-game calculator functionality straight into the tweakables? Mass, drag, and the number and type of parachutes are all values that the code can figure out (admittedly it might get tricky if weird staging is used). That just leaves planet and touchdown speed as user inputs, and the latter could probably be left as a fixed value. So one or two sliders and an "adjust chute" button in the tweakables could automatically alter the diameter.

That would be too much work since I'm scrapping tweakables entirely soon. I'd rather have a way more functional editor window to do this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.