[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

On 09/02/2018 at 12:48 PM, Starwaster said:

Real Chute creates a category for parachutes. It sets the category to none in the config file to prevent chutes from showing up twice. 

If one of your other mods is doing something with PartCategorizer in a way that prevents RC from creating is category or deleting it then RC chutes won't appear at all.

Now that you mentioned it, they are really showing up in both places.

With that in mind I made a personal script for Filter Extension to change each parachute to "Utility" and then added an exclusion filter in the Utility category to hide them, now they will only appear in one place and are still searchable.
If anyone want the script, just create a .cfg file with these lines:
Example: GameData\My_Patches\MM_RealChutes.cfg

@PART[*]:Final:HAS[@MODULE[RealChuteModule]|@MODULE[ModuleParachute]]
{
	@category = Utility
}

@SUBCATEGORY[Utility]
{
    @FILTER,*
    {
        CHECK
        {
            type = check
            invert = true

CHECK
            {
                type = moduleName
                value = ModuleParachute, RealChuteModule
            }
        }
    }
}

My suggestion for a more clean result is to not make any category changes in the mod's code, instead add them to the FilterExtensions Default config (or make a small cfg to integrate with it) and suggest the players to use FilterExtensions.
This makes every mod focus on each area, but also make the mod dependent of another for a feature it already has.

49 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

So they weren't really missing at all

They were missing from the search box system.

When I made the first change they appeared in Utility while still being in Parachutes. Additionally, they also appeared when I used the search box.

The new script hide them from the Utility without using category = none. That way they still appear in the search box and in the Parachutes category.

The only drawback is that the script only works if you have Filter Extensions.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:42 PM, GFX5000i said:

This makes every mod focus on each area, but also make the mod dependent of another for a feature it already has.

Which is why I won't do that. My implementation works independently of other installed mods, which reduces possible conflicts and the possibility of a dependency going stale.

Edited by stupid_chris

14 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Which is why I won't do that. My implementation works independently of other installed mods, which reduces possible conflicts and the possibility of a dependency going stale.

I imagined that would be the case. My script is working, so the issue is (kind of) solved. :cool:

Hello all! I just discovered this mod, and it is pretty amazing ! I'm testing many parameters making some landing nice to watch, and some other ending with catastrophic failures! But what I don't really understand is the calculation mode. Does it determine how many chute I need for landing with input speed, mass etc... Or does it give me the landing speed with the amount of chute I have set in parameters? Please, explain me.

46 minutes ago, Wazaa said:

Hello all! I just discovered this mod, and it is pretty amazing ! I'm testing many parameters making some landing nice to watch, and some other ending with catastrophic failures! But what I don't really understand is the calculation mode. Does it determine how many chute I need for landing with input speed, mass etc... Or does it give me the landing speed with the amount of chute I have set in parameters? Please, explain me.

No, in fact there is a place in the form for you to tell it how many chutes will be used and it will determine how large each chute needs to be.

You also decide what you want the landing speed to be. Also whether to use wet mass, dry mass or a mass of your own choosing.

Input all of those things and it will configure the chutes to the required size. If the required chute size is too large it will set it to the maximum possible and it will warn you in red text that it could not make the chutes large enough. (adding more chutes may help there)

You can also choose between main chute (your actual landing chute), drogue chutes (use those to slow down to a specified speed at a specified altitude) or drag chutes. (use those for aircraft landing on a runway to reduce the amount of runway required for braking)

Edited by Starwaster

On 09/02/2018 at 9:48 AM, Starwaster said:

If one of your other mods is doing something with PartCategorizer in a way that prevents RC from creating is category or deleting it then RC chutes won't appear at all.

How do I find out if this is the case? What types of mods do things with PartCategorizer? I am having the same problem with no parachutes in VAB.

Using this fix worked for me:

On 08/02/2018 at 7:33 PM, GFX5000i said:

For some time I have not been able to find any of the parachutes using the VAB search box and it seems some other people are having the same issue, so today I took some time to search in the code and found the problem.
All parachutes are set to "category = none" and, for some reason that I don't know, makes them unsearchable. To solve that I changed all categories to the game default "category = Utility".

This change had no negative side effects in my game, but I have some other mods like Community Category Kit and I don't know if there is a reason for those lines, so further testing might be necessary. Below are the files that I made these changes.

RealChute\Parts\cone_double_chute.cfg
RealChute\Parts\radial_chute.cfg
RealChute\Parts\stack_chute.cfg
RealChute\Parts\cone_chute.cfg

category = Utility

RealChute\ModuleManager\Stock_RealChute_MM.cfg

(delete all lines with) @category = none

I hope it helps.

I guess I'm going to stick with this fix for now unless I notice that it has borked something else. 

10 hours ago, Errol said:

I guess I'm going to stick with this fix for now unless I notice that it has borked something else. 

Use these 2 patches instead. They are less likely to bork anything and you won't have to re-apply them every time the mod update. As a bonus, if you use Filter Extensions, it will make the parachutes only show in their own category.
If the "Parachutes" category is not showing, use only the first patch.

On 10/02/2018 at 11:42 PM, GFX5000i said:

With that in mind I made a personal script for Filter Extension to change each parachute to "Utility" and then added an exclusion filter in the Utility category to hide them, now they will only appear in one place and are still searchable.
If anyone want the script, just create a .cfg file with these lines:
Example: GameData\My_Patches\MM_RealChutes.cfg

@PART[*]:Final:HAS[@MODULE[RealChuteModule]|@MODULE[ModuleParachute]]
{
	@category = Utility
}

@SUBCATEGORY[Utility]
{
    @FILTER,*
    {
        CHECK
        {
            type = check
            invert = true

CHECK
            {
                type = moduleName
                value = ModuleParachute, RealChuteModule
            }
        }
    }
}

3 hours ago, GFX5000i said:

Use these 2 patches instead. They are less likely to bork anything and you won't have to re-apply them every time the mod update. As a bonus, if you use Filter Extensions, it will make the parachutes only show in their own category.
If the "Parachutes" category is not showing, use only the first patch.

What does the Subcatagory module do?

12 minutes ago, Errol said:

What does the Subcatagory module do?

It adds a filter on the Utility category to hide parachutes. With this they will only show in the "Parachute" category that is created by this mod.

If you are looking for a more technical answer:
The invert = true change the filter from add (the default) to subtract.
The type = moduleName specifies the filter criteria as the internal name of the modules and value = ModuleParachute, RealChuteModule are the default and RealChute modules respectively.

2 hours ago, Errol said:

But I'm not getting the parachute category though....

Even with changes I made to the included .cfgs, the chutes all just show up in utility, not their own category.

In that case this script might not fix your problem entirely. It was made to fix the parachutes not showing when using the search box, but it still consider you have the category.

Heres a simple cfg you can add anywhere in gamedata to give you a parachute tab.

@CCKExtraFilterConfig:NEEDS[CCK]
{
Item
      {
      name = Parachutes
      tag = cck-chutes
      normalIcon = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_survivability
      }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[RealChuteModule]]:NEEDS[RealChute,CCK]:FINAL
{
      @category = none
      @tags = #$tags$ cck-chutes
      &tags = cck-chutes
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleParachute],!MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[CCK]:FINAL
{
      @category = none
      @tags = #$tags$ cck-chutes
      &tags = cck-chutes
}

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally upgraded my KSP install to 1.4.0 (and managed to brake my save so it won't load in 1.3.1 - yay me!) and it looks like Real Chute is no longer working after the update (chutes does't deploy for instance). I'd like make a minimal repo case but the link in the OP to the bug report format is broken.

Edited by glappkaeft

3 hours ago, glappkaeft said:

I accidentally upgraded my KSP install to 1.4.0 (and managed to brake my save so it won't load in 1.3.1 - yay me!) and it looks like Real Chute is no longer working after the update (chutes does't deploy for instance). I'd like make a minimal repo case but the link in the OP to the bug report format is broken.

I think this is one case where you don't have to worry about repo... it is not uncommon for mods to stop working when KSP is updated. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

You're just going to have to wait until the mod is updated.

The real question is:  is @stupid_chris still playing or around here? As his last post is a month ago, I do know people interest in this game can shift.

And if he's not actively developing it, maybe, with proper authorisation, someone could fork the project somewhere? As it was a nice add-on. I'm not really versed in Unity/KSP Mod development but I really like this one, and I'm probably not the only one...  I liked Deadly Reentry as well.

I hope for an update :wink:

2 minutes ago, FrancoisH said:

The real question is:  is @stupid_chris still playing or around here? As his last post is a month ago, I do know people interest in this game can shift.

And if he's not actively developing it, maybe, with proper authorisation, someone could fork the project somewhere? As it was a nice add-on. I'm not really versed in Unity/KSP Mod development but I really like this one, and I'm probably not the only one...  I liked Deadly Reentry as well.

I hope for an update :wink:

The first post in this thread mentions the license changing if he is not on the forum for 90 days, so I think it's probably going to have to wait until thin unless someone can come up with a MM patch

1 hour ago, mostlydave said:

The first post in this thread mentions the license changing if he is not on the forum for 90 days, so I think it's probably going to have to wait until thin unless someone can come up with a MM patch

It's going to take more than a Module Manager patch to get this working with KSP 1.4.x