[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I'm leaving it like this as a default. It's easy enough to change. Anyway, there's is a really clear message saying on the screen saying "failed to deploy" along with a blinking red icon, how can you think it's bugged?

As for MechJeb, no it's not the reason, it's simply because MechJeb isn't configured yet to detect them.

And as for the bigger parts... wait, have you actually downloaded v1.0? :P There /are/ bigger parts included and you can do literally whatever you want with the parachutes :P

I downloaded the mod like a week ago, apparently you've been busy. I hope my eve lander still works. :P

I was poking around with this thing earlier, and I couldn't get it to copy the size of the chute box to the radial symmetry clone (SPH). The part stats copied fine, I think, but eventually I picked the correct one up and put it down again. Clicking the other part for info left me with a whole bunch of red glaring angry sections of text that didn't have edit boxes, and if I alt-click copied, those did the same thing. Chutes still worked fine though.

I was poking around with this thing earlier, and I couldn't get it to copy the size of the chute box to the radial symmetry clone (SPH). The part stats copied fine, I think, but eventually I picked the correct one up and put it down again. Clicking the other part for info left me with a whole bunch of red glaring angry sections of text that didn't have edit boxes, and if I alt-click copied, those did the same thing. Chutes still worked fine though.

The size not staying properly is another bug I found and fixed on my own :)

As for the bunch of red labels, yeah that's something I can't control.

Basically, when a symmetry part is create, none of it's values are initiated for whatever reason, so everyhting is blank. Go figure. I can't do anything about it and it's not hurtful, the stats will actually apply, just don't select the symmetry counterparts :P

Alright, here's yet another short update to fix the small bugs I encountered on my own while messing around with my own mod :)

Changelog:

March 5th 2014
v1.0.2
-Fixed material of the second parachute not updating with his window but with the winodw of the main material
-Similarly to the above, fixed the window of the seconda material showing stats about the main material
-Fixed texture of the second parachute not updating whatsoever
-Fixed symmetry counterparts not ever keeping their size
-Fixed a bug where the "mustGoDown" clause would actually never update for the parachute
-Various tweaks to GUI display (mainly the decimals shown by materials drag coefficient)

With this, I believe the mod shoulb be pretty stable for a while :) If you find anything, contact me, with as much info as possible, logs, save files, and screenies.

Now, this call for a short development update, as promised.

The next big step for RealChute will be some better career integration. What this means is that different sizes, canopy materials, and features, will be unlocked as you progress through career. The parts will be rebalanced and moved in the tree to prepare integration with KSP 0.24 and contracts ,amking money actually come into play now.

Then, I'll probably be focusing on some realistic aspect of the mod. This means materials that have different resistances than others to speed and pressure, as well as parachutes sometimes breaking up etc. Among this I will /try/ to make parachutes repel each other. I have a plan but I can't guarantee much that it will work unfortunately.

So yeah that's about what I have for now. If you want to propose something, fee free to come forward!

Cheers :)

I would love a small chute for the kerbals. Not the KAS mod but one that is like the MMU they have when they get out in space, but one for if they get out in atmosphere.

I would love a small chute for the kerbals. Not the KAS mod but one that is like the MMU they have when they get out in space, but one for if they get out in atmosphere.

I believe Kreuzung's EVA parachutesd do that and that he was planning on RealChute implementation for them :)

If this helps your planning...

"as well as parachutes sometimes breaking up etc..."

Three types of parachute malfunctions. Total, major, minor partial malfunctions. Each is either high-speed or low-speed.

Total is self explanatory, chute compartment does not open or drouge does not deploy or packing tray does not even open.

Major is usually the classic twisted up chute (cigarette roll in english) or deployment lines are tangled.

'Blown panels" (in english) is the most common minor chute malfunction, usually at higher speeds than the material can withstand. Individual panel seams in the chute rip loose. This stops once enough panels are gone to allow the drag pressure to escape and leaves you with a less speed reducing chute.

In the Apollo 13 book the chute compartment had a warmer to keep any moisture in the air when they were packed from freezing. It was turned off when the CSM lost power and there was fear the chutes were 'blocks of ice'.

During descent of the Apollo 15 one of their three parachutes failed, landing successfully with only two. It was found that three of the six shroud lines on the failed parachute were damaged when the RCS fuel was dumped before landing.

Orion is planned to have five parachutes. The capsule needs only two main parachutes and one drogue. The extra two provide a backup in case one of the primary parachutes fails.

The Apollo landing system deployed a landing signal antenna and flashing beacon when the main chutes deployed. You could consider adding something like that to the parts sometime

Seems like I can confirm all but one of the fixes:

If you put a Double Chute Cone on, try to switch secondary chute material and texture. It still does not update the material, and the texture of the secondary chute when used ingame is still always the main chute one.

All the other fixes held up to my relentless testing! :D

Seems like I can confirm all but one of the fixes:

If you put a Double Chute Cone on, try to switch secondary chute material and texture. It still does not update the material, and the texture of the secondary chute when used ingame is still always the main chute one.

All the other fixes held up to my relentless testing! :D

I'll check that, while testing, the stack chute updated correctly for me, I assumed the other would too :P taking a look.

EDIT:

nope, everything is working fine here.

BHktIqr.png

QG3GYDe.png

Same for the material. Only problem I'm noticing is that it should /start/ with the drogue texture as default.

Edited by stupid_chris

What appears to be a bug: if you place a radial realchute in with symmetry initially, then change the size, and hit "apply to all symmetry counterparts," the size of the counterparts does not change. If I pick it up and replace it, the symmetry counterparts update correctly.

On a different, more cosmetic note, the settings in the symmetry counterparts are always set to defaults when you select them, even after applying settings. I'll post some pictures later, when I get spare minute.

What appears to be a bug: if you place a radial realchute in with symmetry initially, then change the size, and hit "apply to all symmetry counterparts," the size of the counterparts does not change. If I pick it up and replace it, the symmetry counterparts update correctly.

On a different, more cosmetic note, the settings in the symmetry counterparts are always set to defaults when you select them, even after applying settings. I'll post some pictures later, when I get spare minute.

For the first one: get v1.0.2, it was fixed in that update.

For the second, I know, and I've mentioned on the previous page, I can't do anything about it.

BTW, Chris, have you seen an old Spacetech chute from Escape Pod modpack? A bit similar to your double chutes, but it uses foldable airbrakes as a first stage instead of a drogue chute (however it doesn't deploy them at as high altitude as expected). The idea seems to be cool... using airbrakes for orienting pod and slowing it down at speeds where any chute will burn or tear off... :cool: How do you think, is it possible IRL?

I should stop being lazy and document properly: I am running v1.0.2 of RealChutes under Linux.

I am quite confident that it is the only version of the plugin installed, due to use of JSGME combined with a search for any other dlls in GameData.

The problem still shows up even with only RealChutes being my only installed mod/plugin under GameData.

The Player.log of the session used to create the imgur album below:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

any harm in the following ERR reports from my KSP.log file?

[LOG 15:16:14.276] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/cone_chute/RC_cone'
[ERR 15:16:14.307] Invalid integer value
[ERR 15:16:14.308] Invalid integer value
[LOG 15:16:14.321] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/cone_double_chute/RC_cone_double'
[ERR 15:16:14.329] Invalid integer value
[LOG 15:16:14.340] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/radial_chute/RC_radial'
[ERR 15:16:14.352] Invalid integer value
[LOG 15:16:14.379] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/stack_chute/RC_stack'
[ERR 15:16:14.388] Invalid integer value

[LOG 15:16:14.276] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/cone_chute/RC_cone'

No harm, but it's more informative if you go into the ksp_data folder and show your output_log.txt file instead.

ksp.log seldom has useful information. The good stuff is stripped out. It's like drinking watered down rootbeer :/

I should stop being lazy and document properly: I am running v1.0.2 of RealChutes under Linux.

I am quite confident that it is the only version of the plugin installed, due to use of JSGME combined with a search for any other dlls in GameData.

The problem still shows up even with only RealChutes being my only installed mod/plugin under GameData.

The Player.log of the session used to create the imgur album below:

http://imgur.com/a/cdmVq

I'll take a look, but it appeared to work on my side. When and from where did you download v1.0.2?

-snip-

Harmless, it's just the part compiler being dumb.

EDIT: about the first thing: I am positive tht it works flawlessly. To everyone who has that problem, pop up your readme file and look at the version of the changelog to see that it is really v1.0.2. Anyway I'll be uploading a new one shortly. No bugs fixed, but just some random things I changed in the code as well as displaying the version of the mod in game at the top of the windows to prevent confusion like this.

EDIT²: found the problem. The spaceport download is still giving out v1.0.1.1. Download from Media for now, I'll upload 1.0.3 when I have enough tweaks done.

Edited by stupid_chris

Alright, small update v1.0.3 is up.

Changelog:

March 7th 2014
v1.0.3
-Fixed the very small bug where the popup announcing the application worked would not resize after a warning
-Added a display of the current RealChute version on both the editor window and the info window
-Did some very minor code wise improvements around

People who had problems resizing, you had a Spaceport version and apprently it didn't upload properly and you were all stuck with v1.0.1.1. Now that RealChute will display the version number that should prevent this sort of confusion. Just redownload and you'll see the difference :)

Cheers!

Could you add options in the settings for RSS sizes? A line like RSSsizes = true/false, which would change the next/previous size scaling to go up/down by 0.5 m instead of the stock sizes, would be great.

I think that would be more into the domain of RSS creating an MM file to modify the sizes this can cycle through. They're all defined in the part's config node.

After updating to the new version, I lost access to a lot of the parachutes. I can still load ships that have the other parachutes on them, but they don't appear in the parts list.

http://i.imgur.com/bTMriG9.png

Refer to the release notes of v1.0:

Changelog:

-Texture, canopy models, and part size can be edited with this window, and only four parts are now necessary
-Old parts are still included to preserve compatibility but are not visible in the editor

[...]

Since only a few parts are needed now, all the other parts have been deprecated and moved to a new folder. They are included in the download, so nothing will break, but those parts are not visible in the editor anymore. Therefore, I recommend you land all your vessels with old RealChute parts ASAP and that you change your crafts in the editor to use the new parts so you can delete the folder with legacy parts and free your memory from them.