[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Hi Chris,

Could you implement a config file option to cut the cute at a specific speed in the AIR. Like deploy on 20 km slow down from 900d/v and when you reach 500d/v cut chute ?

This would be awesome for drouge chutes (so that they dont geht cut on a altitude but on speed!)

Thanks for considering :-)

Hi Chris,

Could you implement a config file option to cut the cute at a specific speed in the AIR. Like deploy on 20 km slow down from 900d/v and when you reach 500d/v cut chute ?

This would be awesome for drouge chutes (so that they dont geht cut on a altitude but on speed!)

I'd add to this - how to make it open at a certain speed (not atmospheric pressure)?

Hi, can I have access to 1.3.1 source code please? Github doesn't have old version source code. Thanks!

It's source control, all the code is in the history. v1.3.1 isn't specifically tagged, but revision c6951303 seems about right.

Hi Chris,

You *can* sort of do this now... not exactly the way you're describing, but for drogue chutes you can configure them with a desired speed at a target altitude... then set them to cut at that altitude.

So let's say you want them to cut when they reach 100m/s and you know you want them at 100 m/s at 3000 meters, or you choose that altitude arbitrarily. Then set autocut to 3000 meters.

It's a work around but you can do that.

My upper stages keep burning up on stage recovery...trying to figure out how to slow them down faster without ripping off my chutes.

How do I properly use a drogue chute? Am I supposed to set it to open in the upper atmosphere to slow down reentry before the air is so thick they get ripped off by the speed or what?

@Smurfalot: The way I do it: I open the drogue chutes around 3~5km. Cut them one or two kilometers later, and immediately open my main chutes. Opening main chutes even 2000m over the land should be enough to slow your aircrafts safely, without extreme g-forces acting on it, given the proper parachutes configuration.

@Smurfalot: The way I do it: I open the drogue chutes around 3~5km. Cut them one or two kilometers later, and immediately open my main chutes. Opening main chutes even 2000m over the land should be enough to slow your aircrafts safely, without extreme g-forces acting on it, given the proper parachutes configuration.

I am specifically trying to use this with the stage recovery mod. I am not sure the stage will actually survive to reach that low of an altitude. Basically when the stage hits the edge of physics range it tests to see if it would survive reentry and as it stands now, they are burning up from going too fast through the upper/middle atmosphere.

Once FAR is in play, you basically have to control your stuff down or else aerodynamics will tear it apart. Deorbiting all my reusable boosters is what i do while i wait for other maneuvers.

That being said, the default parachute deployment height of 700m is way too low for ballistic reentry. I'm still going mach 2 at 8 kilometers height, still have mach 1 around 4 km when i deploy the chutes, and depending on terrain height (not even talking highlands, just the raised dark green plains biome around ksp) i smash into the terrain at 100 m/s while the chutes deploy. I generally raise it to atleast 1700.

Hey, what would cause the size selection not to show up? I'm using multiple mods.

LE

I guess that's a little generic.

What I mean is: using the same mod list, sometimes it shows sometimes it doesn't. I had my old save game where it didn't show, I started a new game and now it shows again. Running under Linux x64

Edited by florins

The size selection only shows up if you don't have acces to the Action Groups tab. Once you do (by upgrading the VAB (or SPH)), clicking on that tab and then on the chute will allow you to adjust its size, along with many other of the chute's properties, such as deployment altitude and desired touchdown speed.

Once FAR is in play, you basically have to control your stuff down or else aerodynamics will tear it apart. Deorbiting all my reusable boosters is what i do while i wait for other maneuvers.

That being said, the default parachute deployment height of 700m is way too low for ballistic reentry. I'm still going mach 2 at 8 kilometers height, still have mach 1 around 4 km when i deploy the chutes, and depending on terrain height (not even talking highlands, just the raised dark green plains biome around ksp) i smash into the terrain at 100 m/s while the chutes deploy. I generally raise it to atleast 1700.

Nevermind, I ended up just increasing the deadly reentry temperature to 3000 from 2000 in the config.

Next question is, does anyone deliberately use mismatched chute sizes to land a rocket on its side instead of vertical? I find if they land upright from balanced chutes they tend to fall over and break themselves after they touch down and the chutes cut.

Next question is, does anyone deliberately use mismatched chute sizes to land a rocket on its side instead of vertical? I find if they land upright from balanced chutes they tend to fall over and break themselves after they touch down and the chutes cut.

You could also just add chutes low on the side of the landing vehicle. You would wait until your airspeed was low before deploying them, of course.

stupid_chris

Are the chutes still vulnerable to heat or speeds? Deployed at speed >1500 m/s while in "flames of reentry" at about 20km and the chute was fine until I hit the ground.

(Using FAR and DRE)

Yes, the fastest I have managed to have chutes deploy without failing is around 850 m/s (still had reentry effects at the time.) Using stock reentry physics.

- - - Updated - - -

You could also just add chutes low on the side of the landing vehicle. You would wait until your airspeed was low before deploying them, of course.

Good tip, thank you. I will start adding a small leveling chute toward the bottom.

Edited by Smurfalot

The size selection only shows up if you don't have acces to the Action Groups tab. Once you do (by upgrading the VAB (or SPH)), clicking on that tab and then on the chute will allow you to adjust its size, along with many other of the chute's properties, such as deployment altitude and desired touchdown speed.

Had this same issue, thank you. =)

Good tip, thank you. I will start adding a small leveling chute toward the bottom.

I should add that you may want to test this first; if you have a tall rocket with a lot of fuel at the bottom, it might skew the balance so that the bottom is still dragging. If it's close enough, you might be able to overcome it right before landing with RCS and reaction wheels, but I'd test it before trusting something valuable (like Kerbals or science returns) to it.

Waitaminute... does the chute editor only show up in the action groups tab if you've unlocked it via the tech tree? I can't get it to show up and was all set to set up repro steps w/ log files, but I'm thinking now maybe it's an issue with Tree Toppler? I want a sandbox game but with science collecting abilities and so used Toppler in a Science game to unlock all my tech. Argh. I'll have to fire up a true sandbox game and see if the chute editor pops up...

You can't unlock the action groups tab through the tech tree, only by upgrading the VAB of SPH. Assuming you have, the chute editor won't show up until you click on a chute while the action groups tab is open.

You can't unlock the action groups tab through the tech tree, only by upgrading the VAB of SPH. Assuming you have, the chute editor won't show up until you click on a chute while the action groups tab is open.

Hrm. I'm not getting the chute editor in sandbox games either. This is a linux 64-bit install so I'm guessing there's a myriad of things that could be potentially going wrong here.

I am specifically trying to use this with the stage recovery mod. I am not sure the stage will actually survive to reach that low of an altitude. Basically when the stage hits the edge of physics range it tests to see if it would survive reentry and as it stands now, they are burning up from going too fast through the upper/middle atmosphere.

Realchutes can't help you with this. Any burning up would happen well before you could use chutes (because they would burn up).

OK, I think I have found a bug of sorts. If I make a simple craft (probe core, fuel tank engine) and add a radial decoupler, another fuel tank and another engine and add parachutes to the booster then adjust the settings on the booster chutes and hit "Apply to symmetry" everything is fine. If I then get that booster and make 4 using symmetry the setting do not carry over to the other boosters.

Here are some images

nFQbgiu.png

33qrE4x.png

Also, if I activate chutes on a booster then stage the booster, the chutes disappear and the booster crashes to the ground. If I stage and activate the chutes at the same time then the same happens (or at least the chutes do not open).

ayWTONX.png

ErFsP6G.png

Is this behaviour that others are experiencing using RealChutes?

Hrm. I'm not getting the chute editor in sandbox games either. This is a linux 64-bit install so I'm guessing there's a myriad of things that could be potentially going wrong here.

Could we see a screenshot of your Game Data folder? It might just turn out that something's in the wrong place.