[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

The question remains though. I know it wasn't due to heat since I did check the chute info (not the part, the actual chute info that opens by clicking the respective button on the part right click widow) and it didn't got even close to the max chute temperature. Essentially, I'd like to have some theoretical idea of how strong the chutes instead of exclusively depending on empirical testing and/or playing ridiculously safer with when opening the chutes and possibly in terms of backup chutes too.

Don't open mains until you're subsonic. Low supersonic: maybe with drogue chutes. Long opening times are your friend.

High altitudes or low pressure conditions (High Earth/Kerbin altitude or Duna/Mars scenarios) make supersonic chutes possible.

The question remains though. I know it wasn't due to heat since I did check the chute info (not the part, the actual chute info that opens by clicking the respective button on the part right click widow) and it didn't got even close to the max chute temperature. Essentially, I'd like to have some theoretical idea of how strong the chutes instead of exclusively depending on empirical testing and/or playing ridiculously safer with when opening the chutes and possibly in terms of backup chutes too.

Oh they did. Just way too fast for you to even know. Shock heating delivers an incredible amount of thermal energy. Parachutes are thin, have a ridiclous thermal area, and low thermal mass.If shock heating is still a thing, you can forget any type of chute at all. If not, if you're going over mach 1 in a high pressure atmosphere (>0.1atm), I wouldn't even give a Kevlar chute half a second.The forces implied are crazy strong. To give you an idea, Mars has an atmosphere hat doesn't max out 0.01atm, and the chute used to slow Curiosity down was opened at... Mach 2.1? I think? The big difference her is that the force applied is about 25 times lower (twice as fast as Mach 1 so x4 stronger, ten times less dense so 100x lower, as both are square laws). And even that was a risk, it could've ripped off completely.

Bottomline: you were fooled for so long with stock chute to think they could resist anything. Truth it you are going pretty faster than you think, and parachutes are a lot weaker than the game made you think they were. Be gentle with them :)

Oh they did. Just way too fast for you to even know. Shock heating delivers an incredible amount of thermal energy. Parachutes are thin, have a ridiclous thermal area, and low thermal mass.If shock heating is still a thing, you can forget any type of chute at all. If not, if you're going over mach 1 in a high pressure atmosphere (>0.1atm), I wouldn't even give a Kevlar chute half a second.The forces implied are crazy strong. To give you an idea, Mars has an atmosphere hat doesn't max out 0.01atm, and the chute used to slow Curiosity down was opened at... Mach 2.1? I think? The big difference her is that the force applied is about 25 times lower (twice as fast as Mach 1 so x4 stronger, ten times less dense so 100x lower, as both are square laws). And even that was a risk, it could've ripped off completely.

Bottomline: you were fooled for so long with stock chute to think they could resist anything. Truth it you are going pretty faster than you think, and parachutes are a lot weaker than the game made you think they were. Be gentle with them :)

Main thing I'd like to know is "how gentle?" with a greater degree of precision instead of either having to extensively test it out to discover the tolerances involved or just severely low balling it. :P

Anyway though, any chance of a "maximum air speed for parachute deployment" in some future version? It'd certainly take care of most issues in terms deployment of armed parachutes without having to guess at which height the initial aerobraking will have slow it down enough. :P

Main thing I'd like to know is "how gentle?" with a greater degree of precision instead of either having to extensively test it out to discover the tolerances involved or just severely low balling it. :P

Anyway though, any chance of a "maximum air speed for parachute deployment" in some future version? It'd certainly take care of most issues in terms deployment of armed parachutes without having to guess at which height the initial aerobraking will have slow it down enough. :P

I gave you some pretty good pointers already. If you want altitudes instead: Wait until 5km altitude (ASL) before deploying. You'll (probably) have already slowed down enough to be able to deploy but YMMV.

EDIT: after a hunch, it turned out that Ven's Stock Part Revamp was the cause. So turning this into a PSA: these 2 seem incompatible

I'm just starting the game again, installed the mod, and having some significant problems.

Basicly, with RealChute installed, the regular chute doesn't work (without, it works like normal)

More indepth: The game detects the chute as regular, but it doesn't show up in the staging list (and thus can't be used regularly).

It is still possible to right click on the regular Parachute and click deploy, but nothing comes out (and the craft does not slow down at all).

I asume the problem is caused by some conflict, but can't for the life of me figure out what it could be (and I'm not really in the mood to restart the game 40 times trying to find out). If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, it'd be amazing.

Screenshots: http://oi62.tinypic.com/ao0zkh.jpg (note the chute ontop, but not in the staging bar)

http://oi59.tinypic.com/dwdyma.jpg (right click menu shows I clicked on Deply Chute, but no chute came out. Screenshot taken after the rocket had already bounced on the engine, but before that there was no chute either (crash at 50m/s or so))

Edited by Sirrobert

EDIT: after a hunch, it turned out that Ven's Stock Part Revamp was the cause. So turning this into a PSA: these 2 seem incompatible

Absolutely no surprise there. Ven rebuilt a lot of those parts completely from scratch and they're not necessarily compatible with their stock counterparts. Many are not, either going so far as to be geometrically mismatched with other parts that would have matched up with the original stock version, or being outright incompatible with mods that are otherwise compatible with the original stock version.

Absolutely no surprise there. Ven rebuilt a lot of those parts completely from scratch and they're not necessarily compatible with their stock counterparts. Many are not, either going so far as to be geometrically mismatched with other parts that would have matched up with the original stock version, or being outright incompatible with mods that are otherwise compatible with the original stock version.

Welp, I learned something. I did notice they looked so much different, that's why I got the hunch.

At first I just asumed it was a retexture

I'm running this and a whole mess of other mods in a new career. I have a contract to test the Mk16 parachute, and separate contracts to test a few others.

My problem is that in the VAB, I can't get the Mk16 parachute to appear in the staging diagram. On the Launchpad, not only can I not get the parachute to appear in the staging diagram, but it renders as disconnected and outboard of my main stack, by what looks like 4-5 meters to the side. I'm running FAR, and the drag forces and mach effects seems to be rendering based on where it's appearing and not where it's supposed to be, which yaws me all over the place. Also, since it's not in my staging diagram, launching with the spacebar stage-triggers my parachutes at rest on the ground and fails my contract. :(

Any ideas?

Great mod, but I have some problems. Can't figure out what is going on. I have some compatibility issues:

Real Chutes can be deployed without connection to the KSC, with stock chutes everything works fine, any ideas?

https://youtu.be/fJ7hke00eNc?list=PLEJSV4cxp9L5Xi44X7ccM2ixngrJk9_Su

Can't use Mk-16 Cute with real chutes and Ven Stock Revamp installed, that must be a problem with VSR, but maybe someone here could help.

https://youtu.be/KNbWSN93MX0

I'm having similar but not identical issues. Did you identify the cause of your symptoms? Did it have to do with a duplicated module from ModuleManager?

Can't use Mk-16 Cute with real chutes and Ven Stock Revamp installed, that must be a problem with VSR, but maybe someone here could help.

I am going through that exact problem as well. What is the cause, if someone could fill me in?

I am glad that I am not the only one having a problem. I thought I was doing something wrong. I had used the chute mod before and I am now having some issues with Ven and this mod.

Anyone figure anything out yet?

Has anyone posted in Ven's thread yet about this? Only he knows what he did to that part when he was 'revamping' it.

Has anyone posted in Ven's thread yet about this? Only he knows what he did to that part when he was 'revamping' it.

This is already fixed on github, but Ven did not release new version, for a long time, so if you want to use RealChute and Ven Stock Revamp you need to download unofficial version.

This is already fixed on github, but Ven did not release new version, for a long time, so if you want to use RealChute and Ven Stock Revamp you need to download unofficial version.

Thanks for the info, I am new to KSP and the "where to go" for the mods. Can you please post a link to this? I mainly have been using CKAN to keep the mods straight.

Thank you again for letting us know.

Help with KOS and real chutes please.?

I'm sure I'm not the only one having trouble with this, so I'm asking.

How in KOS do I stage chutes to open, without using action groups? (playing career mode so no AG's except lights and brakes.. which I use for comms instead)

Currently using stage command which decouples stage and fires engine.

Anyone in this forum know?

Help with KOS and real chutes please.?

I'm sure I'm not the only one having trouble with this, so I'm asking.

How in KOS do I stage chutes to open, without using action groups? (playing career mode so no AG's except lights and brakes.. which I use for comms instead)

Currently using stage command which decouples stage and fires engine.

Anyone in this forum know?

This is probably better asked in the kOS forum, but anyway: RC are staged, so you can just use the STAGE. command, same as for engines. Just set up your staging correctly. Without access to action groups, kOS won't let you access a parts right click menu, so staging is your only option. Once you get custom AGs, you get more options.

Thanks. I'll try that again.. but I'm pretty sure the chutes just do not function at all using the stage command. In fact I'm certain ... but I will try again.

Do they function when staging with the spacebar? Is Stage-Lock (the green light on the stage bar turns purple) enabled when you are trying to do this?

Update to all:

I'm back in GUI hell. Currently working on the system that will let you select spare chutes while in the editor from all the parachutes available on the ship, create custom ones, or get EVA chutes, and add them to special container parts on the vessel. Those can later be used to repack chutes or do some "emergency" Kerbal excursion into an atmosphere. My brain hurts and everything is gross I hate Unity GUI. Hopefully it looks fine. I'll also go back over the current GUI to edit chutes so it can be moved and isn't stuck into Action Groups menu anymore. We'll see how it goes.

Is this Unity 4 GUI? You have my deepest sympathies!

It is. I'm unsure how Unity5 GUI will deal with KSP, given the EZ-gui implementation. I'll see when we get there I guess.

I'm sure I speak for more than myself in saying I appreciate you dealing w/ the Unity4 UI to get the next update out prior to v1.1

*edit* ninja'd above. Point proven :P

I need tylenols.

For those interested...

I'm so sorry.

It is. I'm unsure how Unity5 GUI will deal with KSP, given the EZ-gui implementation. I'll see when we get there I guess.

my impression, based only upon what I've read in the dev notes, is that the Unity5 GUI is a relative joy - and that's coming from the devs that have to lay the groundwork modders only have to build upon. Hopefully that turns out to be true for you when updating to v1.1

Update to all:

I'm back in GUI hell. Currently working on the system that will let you select spare chutes while in the editor from all the parachutes available on the ship, create custom ones, or get EVA chutes, and add them to special container parts on the vessel. Those can later be used to repack chutes or do some "emergency" Kerbal excursion into an atmosphere. My brain hurts and everything is gross I hate Unity GUI. Hopefully it looks fine. I'll also go back over the current GUI to edit chutes so it can be moved and isn't stuck into Action Groups menu anymore. We'll see how it goes.

The project sounds like it will be great! I've really been missing your mod. Yesterday I was planning a Duna base and had some gear to land and I thought to myself: "Hmm.. I wonder if I have enough parachutes to make a safe Duna landing? I miss RealChutes. Well, I guess I'll just add Moar Parachutes!"