[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

28 minutes ago, felcas said:

Chris, what SPARE CHUTE means?

I am really lost on this one, tried google and nothing. Tried diferent configurations in game and nothing too.

Whats the deal?

Thks

From the Components section of the first page: 

spareChutes: amount of times a parachute can be repacked (set to -1 if you want to repack it as much as you want)

Please enlight me. About the following options:

CASE TEXTURE
CHUTE TEXTURE

Since they use the word TEXTURE I understand they are just aesthetic options. Am I wrong on this? They are more then just textures but really functional chute options?

Thanks

22 hours ago, felcas said:

Please enlight me. About the following options:

CASE TEXTURE
CHUTE TEXTURE

Since they use the word TEXTURE I understand they are just aesthetic options. Am I wrong on this? They are more then just textures but really functional chute options?

Thanks

You are right, it's purely aesthetic.

18 minutes ago, tmccreight651 said:

um, problem... the game only loads up to RC_cone, as pictured below, all help appreciated...

Right there, an error is being logged.  If we knew what that error was then maybe you could be helped.

Without the log file though, who the heck knows what's happening there?

LOGS!

Edited by Starwaster

19 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Right there, an error is being logged.  If we knew what that error was then maybe you could be helped.

Without the log file though, who the heck knows what's happening there?

LOGS!

sorry, im kind of a noob at these things :D how do i post logs and i'll have them up ASAP

4 minutes ago, tmccreight651 said:

thanks for all the help. Anyway, here is my game's logs

You have a 2 versions of RealChutes installed, 1 incorrectly). The two RealChute versions are installed .../KSPfolder/GameData/RealChute and .../KSPfolder/GameData/GameData/RealChute.

You also need to update KW Rocketry.

Also, what mod adds the folder "It's Free!"? I don't recognize that and I can't find it anywhere.

1 minute ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

You have a 2 versions of RealChutes installed, 1 incorrectly). The two RealChute versions are installed .../KSPfolder/GameData/RealChute and .../KSPfolder/GameData/GameData/RealChute.

You also need to update KW Rocketry.

Also, what mod adds the folder "It's Free!"? I don't recognize that and I can't find it anywhere.

Ah! thanks for the help, firstly D'oh! 

Secondly, i will update that now (thanks for the heads up) 

thirdly, its for a mod that integrates mechjeb into every Command pod/Probe core

Have been using Realchutes for some time and loving it. 

However today I reeeeaaaallllyyyy needed to use those drogue chutes and I was having a bad time soo I tried a few tests.

This test was performed with a craft coming back from suborbital flight at about 2500m/s. I managed to retrograde with a fuel reserve and then use airbrakes, reducing the speed to about 1400m/s. This craft had both standard chutes and drogue chutes.

Then I keep looking for the chutes status light to see when I could deploy each of them (speed) and then both become available at same time at around 700m/s

This brings me to the question: 

Is there any pratical diferences between drogue chutes and normal chutes or they are  there just for cosmetics and fun? I thought drogue would open at very high speed while standards would open only at lower speeds. one helping the other. Soo what is the deal? I don't understand why both can be deployed at same speed.

Thanks

4 hours ago, felcas said:

However today I reeeeaaaallllyyyy needed to use those drogue chutes and I was having a bad time soo I tried a few tests.

This test was performed with a craft coming back from suborbital flight at about 2500m/s. I managed to retrograde with a fuel reserve and then use airbrakes, reducing the speed to about 1400m/s. This craft had both standard chutes and drogue chutes.

Then I keep looking for the chutes status light to see when I could deploy each of them (speed) and then both become available at same time at around 700m/s

Is there any pratical diferences between drogue chutes and normal chutes or they are  there just for cosmetics and fun? I thought drogue would open at very high speed while standards would open only at lower speeds. one helping the other. Soo what is the deal? I don't understand why both can be deployed at same speed.

Thanks

IRL there's also 'snatch force' and 'opening shock' to worry about, which I don't think is really represented in the current system which focuses primarily on thermal effects.

If that got thrown into the mix I think you would find that large main chutes would suffer more at the speeds that drogue chutes can open at.

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

IRL there's also 'snatch force' and 'opening shock' to worry about, which I don't think is really represented in the current system which focuses primarily on thermal effects.

If that got thrown into the mix I think you would find that large main chutes would suffer more at the speeds that drogue chutes can open at.

I understand, but I am not criticising at all I just want to confirm if my tests are correct if RealChute don't differentiate drogue from main chute regarding the deployment speed.

2 hours ago, felcas said:

I understand, but I am not criticising at all I just want to confirm if my tests are correct if RealChute don't differentiate drogue from main chute regarding the deployment speed.

Well, not entirely correct because drogues are made of kevlar which has a higher temperature tolerance. If your rate of deceleration is great enough then it might seem simultaneous but it's not. The nylon chutes are just reaching safe state right after the kevlar ones.

Additionally, if you open them in an unsafe state, the kevlar chutes will last longer and are more likely to survive if opened when risky.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Well, not entirely correct because drogues are made of kevlar which has a higher temperature tolerance. If your rate of deceleration is great enough then it might seem simultaneous but it's not. The nylon chutes are just reaching safe state right after the kevlar ones.

Additionally, if you open them in an unsafe state, the kevlar chutes will last longer and are more likely to survive if opened when risky.

Ok but in the settings I can also configure the standard chutes to use kevlar.

Are you confusing standard chutes with stock chutes? When I refer to standard chutes I am refering to the main chutes ok, but also in the RealChutes mod.

19 hours ago, felcas said:

Thanks

When setting up the chutes in the action group screen, make sure you are selecting the drogue option for the chute in the second section (where you specify mass/number of chutes/desired speed/etc), and not nearer the top where you're just specifying the texture to use (where you select single chute/triple chute etc).

42 minutes ago, FellipeC said:

I'm feeling very very stupid now... But where can I configure radial chutes to spread apart so they don't clip in each other?

You can't, it is a bug and if I am not mistaken I read somewhere in this forum the guy responsible for it said it is kind complicated to work this out, there is however a solution but he is very busy right now for this, he may look for it in the future. 

Yeah it sucks but the mod is great in soo many ways that I keep using it and I am thankfull anyway.

By the way, we have the same name :wink: not very common. FELCAS=FELipe CAStanho

Edited by felcas

3 minutes ago, felcas said:

You can't, it is a bug and if I am not mistaken I read somewhere in this forum the guy responsible for it said it is kind complicated to work this out, there is however a solution but he is very busy right now for this, he may look for it in the future. 

Yeah it sucks but the mod is great in soo many ways that I keep using it and I am thankfull anyway.

By the way, we have the same name :wink: not very common. FELCAS=FELipe CAStanho

Thanks!!!

9 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

When setting up the chutes in the action group screen, make sure you are selecting the drogue option for the chute in the second section (where you specify mass/number of chutes/desired speed/etc), and not nearer the top where you're just specifying the texture to use (where you select single chute/triple chute etc).

Thanks, a valid observation, early users may fall in this technical trap. But I did know about this.

I think I now better understand how RealChute works.

The upper section defines only the cosmetic aspect of the chutes, not how they work

The botton section is a calculator not how it will work, all the chutes will work the same way, diferent calculators for diferent uses to end up with the right behavior.

In other words, I can use a standard chute to deploy at drogue chutes speeds, but it will just not look realistic. If I use the drogue calculator and the drogue cosmetics, I can define a base chute to work as drogue.

The phisics wont limit the base chute and the base chute will define how standard, drogue and drag chutes will work,

2 hours ago, felcas said:

Ok but in the settings I can also configure the standard chutes to use kevlar.

Are you confusing standard chutes with stock chutes? When I refer to standard chutes I am refering to the main chutes ok, but also in the RealChutes mod.

Yes, you can configure any chutes to use any materials.

No, I'm not confused... but are you sure you're not confused?

When Real Chutes is installed there are at least THREE chutes parts which are configured with drogues and are set to material Kevlar. It is this material setting which determines safe opening speed :)

Two are stock parts that are listed as drogues and made of Kevlar. The third is an RC part that has two chutes, one nylon and one Kevlar

Just because you placed a chute part and changed its chute type from from main to drogue does not automagically give it enhanced thermal resistance. You must change the material, which is why I deliberately specified kevlar with regards to safe opening in my example. All the drogue setting does is determine what calculations are used for diameter, so you can specify what speed you want the chute to slow down the craft and at what altitude you want that to happen at. But it doesn't do anything else with regards to safety. That's all in the material.

Edit: Correction, the drogue chute parts mentioned above not actually configured with the drogue setting, they're just called drogues and have the kevlar material. Not sure what speeds they actually slow down to at full opening. Probably comparable to a drogue but AFAIK not actually calculated with the drogue setting. Or maybe they were calculated for some specific target speed for some unknown mass but they're set as mains

Edited by Starwaster

25 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Yes, you can configure any chutes to use any materials.

No, I'm not confused... but are you sure you're not confused?

When Real Chutes is installed there are at least THREE chutes parts which are configured with drogues and are set to material Kevlar. It is this material setting which determines safe opening speed :)

Two are stock parts that are listed as drogues and made of Kevlar. The third is an RC part that has two chutes, one nylon and one Kevlar

Just because you placed a chute part and changed its chute type from from main to drogue does not automagically give it enhanced thermal resistance. You must change the material, which is why I deliberately specified kevlar with regards to safe opening in my example. All the drogue setting does is determine what calculations are used for diameter, so you can specify what speed you want the chute to slow down the craft and at what altitude you want that to happen at. But it doesn't do anything else with regards to safety. That's all in the material.

Yes, after a few tests I understand now that the botton part of configuration where you choose between main, drogue and drag is actually a calculator based on how you want the chute to behave, I thought this selection would actually select a type of chute but it don't, it only modify the a base chute to then behave in diferent ways. Now things are a bit clear.

But then, if you are not interested to respect realism and just want to simplify things, you can just use a main chute with kevlar and you don't need the drogue at all, it is "kind of" a cheat. 

Just now, felcas said:

Yes, after a few tests I understand now that the botton part of configuration where you choose between main, drogue and drag is actually a calculator based on how you want the chute to behave, I thought this selection would actually select a type of chute but it don't, it only modify the a base chute to then behave in diferent ways. Now things are a bit clear.

But then, if you are not interested to respect realism and just want to simplify things, you can just use a main chute with kevlar and you don't need the drogue at all, it is "kind of" a cheat. 

Not really; you are paying for it with extra mass. Material density is taken into account and mass adjusted for the part as appropriate.