[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I really like the mod but there are two issues:

- If I stage the chutes above their predeployment altitude nothing happens. They are not armed, they do not deploy at the maximum altitude, just nothing.

- Sometimes, the main chutes in the 0.625m nosecone deploy completely at about 6000 - 7000m altitude, instead of 700m. Generally, something strange happens at that altitude: the drogue chute of the drogue/main combo rips off, the main chutes deploy fully or the capsule starts dancing in a weird way.

I have had something odd since adding Deadly Reentry to the mix. If I set the predeployment altitude so the chutes will initially open after the entry phase the chutes disarm so they don't open. I always use the arming since I also use Remote Tech and a long delay can be a bad thing for manually opening chutes ;) To work around for now it seems to work if the predeployment setting is set very high. This seems to let the armed chutes deploy then fully open when expected.

I really like the mod but there are two issues:

- If I stage the chutes above their predeployment altitude nothing happens. They are not armed, they do not deploy at the maximum altitude, just nothing.

- Sometimes, the main chutes in the 0.625m nosecone deploy completely at about 6000 - 7000m altitude, instead of 700m. Generally, something strange happens at that altitude: the drogue chute of the drogue/main combo rips off, the main chutes deploy fully or the capsule starts dancing in a weird way.

The first part is meant to. If you stage a chute, it will not be deployed or armed if it can'T deploy at this precise moment and go straight back to the staging list.

The second part is a bug that I'll be fixing rather soon, probably in a day or two when I push out 0.3.3

I have had something odd since adding Deadly Reentry to the mix. If I set the predeployment altitude so the chutes will initially open after the entry phase the chutes disarm so they don't open. I always use the arming since I also use Remote Tech and a long delay can be a bad thing for manually opening chutes ;) To work around for now it seems to work if the predeployment setting is set very high. This seems to let the armed chutes deploy then fully open when expected.

Yeah, the arm function is broken, as said at least five times in the last two pages.

Please advise if grabbing and then attaching using KAS mod affects chute's diameter (and other) settings. Idea is to safely de-orbit (huge!) thing that wasn't initially designed for that. So I want to set up chutes on probe, launch it and tranfer them to target. But if setting will reset - it'll be a big boom in the end :)

Please advise if grabbing and then attaching using KAS mod affects chute's diameter (and other) settings. Idea is to safely de-orbit (huge!) thing that wasn't initially designed for that. So I want to set up chutes on probe, launch it and tranfer them to target. But if setting will reset - it'll be a big boom in the end :)

It should.... it seems to work with other persistent datafields. Though I've never tried it with RealChutes

In fact, the only time I removed a parachute with KAS (stock chutes) my Kerbal went catapulting a few kilometers into the air... I think the chute wouldn't open or something either so it was splatsville for him.

(I suspect the reason it wouldn't open was because the part itself was having a problem, which is why I ordered him to remove it in the first place....)

It should.... it seems to work with other persistent datafields. Though I've never tried it with RealChutes

In fact, the only time I removed a parachute with KAS (stock chutes) my Kerbal went catapulting a few kilometers into the air... I think the chute wouldn't open or something either so it was splatsville for him.

(I suspect the reason it wouldn't open was because the part itself was having a problem, which is why I ordered him to remove it in the first place....)

Grabbing stock chute and jumping down into atmosphere (Bill's luck I didn't use deadly reentry then, so he just came down on Kerbin like small but fierce fireball. and quite hungry after month of journey) actually save a life of pilot who almost got into infinite loop around the Sun (after passing 1,5 km above the Sun). But as far as I remember this doesn't work with radial Realchutes, so I just have to keep few stock in a container, just in case.

The first part is meant to. If you stage a chute, it will not be deployed or armed if it can't deploy at this precise moment and go straight back to the staging list.

The second part is a bug that I'll be fixing rather soon, probably in a day or two when I push out 0.3.3

Yeah, the arm function is broken, as said at least five times in the last two pages.

I can understand not deploying if above the predeployment altitude when staged but could you explain the logic behind not arming please? I would have thought that staging a chute even above the atmosphere would arm it and when the predeployment altitude was reached it would deploy. I must admit to a little confusion as to the exact operation of the staging, arming and deployment parts of the chutes. I`ll read the first post again, the thread, and any readme and try to figure it out.

EDIT : found "Parachutes will also not deploy "on hold" in space or where you can't deploy them like on the ground when staged, but they can be manually armed to be on hold!."

Does this mean "Parachutes will also not arm in space or other places where you can't deploy them like on the ground when activated by staging, but they can be manually armed in those places."?

I can see the benefit to not deploying or arming a chute activated by staging on the pad.

So to arm a parachute in space that will open at the predeployment altitude you need to activate the chute with an action group?

(I use KOS so manual anything is a no go for me quite a lot)

Edited by John FX

I can't account for KAS, not sure exactly what it does, but unless it modifies parts, its shouldn't affect them.

I can understand not deploying if above the predeployment altitude when staged but could you explain the logic behind not arming please? I would have thought that staging a chute even above the atmosphere would arm it and when the predeployment altitude was reached it would deploy. I must admit to a little confusion as to the exact operation of the staging, arming and deployment parts of the chutes. I`ll read the first post again, the thread, and any readme and try to figure it out.

EDIT : found "Parachutes will also not deploy "on hold" in space or where you can't deploy them like on the ground when staged, but they can be manually armed to be on hold!."

Does this mean "Parachutes will also not arm in space or other places where you can't deploy them like on the ground when activated by staging, but they can be manually armed."?

So to arm a parachute in space that will open at the predeployment altitude you need to activate the chute with an action group?

Yes, this is what is mean. One of the first things that motivated me on RealChute was this annoying thing to be honest. So parachutes, if they cannot deploy at that instant, go back to the staging list when staged. If you want them to open ASAP, you need to arm them, either with action groups or part GUI.

Grabbing stock chute and jumping down into atmosphere (Bill's luck I didn't use deadly reentry then, so he just came down on Kerbin like small but fierce fireball. and quite hungry after month of journey) actually save a life of pilot who almost got into infinite loop around the Sun (after passing 1,5 km above the Sun). But as far as I remember this doesn't work with radial Realchutes, so I just have to keep few stock in a container, just in case.

maybe thats why my kerbal splatted. it was a radial. I was going to remove them all from the ship because they were deploying on launch. again, these were the pre-RC days and I had already deployed the chutes for landing, repacked them then quicksaved only to discover that they wanted to deploy on launch. Needless to say, hilarity ensued. (Any time I think about just using stock chutes instaed of an RC chute I just think back to that incident)

edit: Chris, might that be the other motivation for developing RC?

Edited by Starwaster

(I use KOS so manual anything is a no go for me quite a lot)

If you need to bypass that safeguard then Smart Parts might be useful. The altimeter from that pack can fire action groups automatically when you descend below a set altitude.

Yes, this is what is mean. One of the first things that motivated me on RealChute was this annoying thing to be honest. So parachutes, if they cannot deploy at that instant, go back to the staging list when staged. If you want them to open ASAP, you need to arm them, either with action groups or part GUI.
If you need to bypass that safeguard then Smart Parts might be useful. The altimeter from that pack can fire action groups automatically when you descend below a set altitude.

That`s fine thank you, I use KOS so i have much control over action groups.

I really like the way you can put a chute back into the staging, I also was bugged by that in stock. Now I know the logic I can use the correct commands. This also explains why I had to rewrite to use action groups instead of staging.

Cool. I was also being a bit confused by the arm bug which will be fixed in 0.3.3.0 so I thought I would ask how it should work and program accordingly.

Edited by John FX

Thank you for pointing toward this mod! I hadn't seen this and it solves both the chute issue and others as well. :)

Alright guys, v0.3.3 is now available! Various bugs have been fixes and final tweaks have been performed to render the module stable before I tackle the editor window :) Changelog below, download in the OP, as usual.

January 7th 2014
v0.3.3
-Fixed a bug where dual chutes would not arm
-Changed default predeployment altitudes to 30km for drogues and 25km for mains
-Changed predeployment on drags to 100m and full deployment to 50m
-Switched triple canopies to single canopies on the stack 1.25m main chutes
-Fixed forced orientation so that it actually follows vessel orientation
-Fixed forced orientation remaining even if only one parachute is deployed.
-Small tweaks to attachement notes on stack chutes (thanks to eggrobin)
-Fixed caps being inverted on stack chutes (thanks to eggrobin again for making me notice)
-Changed behaviour or repacked chutes, if not in the last stage, they might not need to be moved to e reactivated.
-Moved the random deployment timer to OnStart() for future MechJeb implementation
-Various tweaks to the tweakables UI controllers
-Fixed a bug where dual chutes with the same material would show "empty" as a second material
-Fixed a bug where full deployment shortly after deployment would result in the animations skipping
-Fixed an annoying and unreliable bug where parachutes would make your craft spin out of control by making the force applied to the part once more

Cheers!

All the files say they were last modified 18/Dec/13 (just downloaded from Spaceport)

Edit: Mediafire download is updated

Eh, and /stupid/_chris strikes again. Modified the info, didn't upload the right download. Fantastic. Fixed it now, good version on both places.

Thanks for the update. I notice the minimum deployment height has now been reduce to 550m Thank you. Now I can scare my Kerbals even more.

In the course of testing my dropship I have discovered that a pod can land (or splashdown) at over 34m/s which is over 75mph. Now it`s just a matter of timing the chute opening to slow me down to that by the time I reach the surface (maybe allow for 2500m atmosphere density)

This means I can lose the landing seperatrons to save some weight and parts. Now it is down to 8 parts.

I may have noticed something. I launch a craft with the 0.625 main chute set to predeploy at 2700m. I arm it manually above the predeploy height but it fails to predeploy.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by John FX

Nice mod. :)

Of course I don't want so many parts, so I went and removed a few. Like the combo shoots (which are a bit too much like cheating to me), and most the drag chutes, and the main stack (the large one didn't work anyway) chutes.

Also the main cone chutes when deployed are kind of far enough apart that they bug me.

Edited by Chase

Any changes which may break sumghai's SDHI Service Module mod ?

Nope, nothing should break :)

Thanks for the update. I notice the minimum deployment height has now been reduce to 550m Thank you. Now I can scare my Kerbals even more.

In the course of testing my dropship I have discovered that a pod can land (or splashdown) at over 34m/s which is over 75mph. Now it`s just a matter of timing the chute opening to slow me down to that by the time I reach the surface (maybe allow for 2500m atmosphere density)

This means I can lose the landing seperatrons to save some weight and parts. Now it is down to 8 parts.

I may have noticed something. I launch a craft with the 0.625 main chute set to predeploy at 2700m. I arm it manually above the predeploy height but it fails to predeploy.

http://imgur.com/a/M6IBN

Weird, pretty sure I had fixed that problem. Going to take another look.

Nice mod. :)

Of course I don't want so many parts, so I went and removed a few. Like the combo shoots (which are a bit too much like cheating to me), and most the drag chutes, and the main stack (the large one didn't work anyway) chutes.

Also the main cone chutes when deployed are kind of far enough apart that they bug me.

Not sure how combo chutes, that are pretty much what happens IRL, are cheating. Not sure how parachutes are even cheating. And actually not sure how you can cheat in a single player mostly sandbox game without popping the debug menu, but oh well.

As for the cone main chutes, I have no clue what you mean, and I suggest you take a look at pictures from the Dragon pod landing or the Apollo capsule landing.

hey great work on the mod but can you please try to do something about the parachutes going inside eachother? if you put 2 parachutes it just looks like one parachute because they go inside eachother.

In real life parachute clusters the air flow causes the parachutes to separate so the parachute canopies arent even touching each other. Can you try to make it do this?

apollo_14_splashdown.jpg

hey great work on the mod but can you please try to do something about the parachutes going inside eachother? if you put 2 parachutes it just looks like one parachute because they go inside eachother.

In real life parachute clusters the air flow causes the parachutes to separate so the parachute canopies arent even touching each other. Can you try to make it do this?

http://regmedia.co.uk/2013/05/15/apollo_14_splashdown.jpg

I'm aware, but this is hard to do, and if I do it, that's further in the future, as it can be seen on the roadmap.

I'm aware, but this is hard to do, and if I do it, that's further in the future, as it can be seen on the roadmap.

so you cant just make parachutes a physical object in the game that cant pass through other objects? actually I don't even know how ksp handles parachutes :S

so you cant just make parachutes a physical object in the game that cant pass through other objects? actually I don't even know how ksp handles parachutes :S

No, that would most likely kill your vessel. Parachutes are not phsyical objects, giving them a collider would literally break your craft when they deploy. KSP has no idea what a parachute is, it is just being told to orient this part of the model in that direction. The only way to prevent them to clip would be to either give them cloth and string physics, or to tell themn to repuls each other to a certain level. Since cloth and string physics would most likely kill everyone's comupter (they really would), I'll have to figure a way to make it work by having them repulse. I already have a proof of concept working with dual parachutes like the stack chutes, so it's a good thing.

Also: short update coming rather rather soon! Fixing a few last bugs that I ommited and that various people pointed out.

Alright guys, as promised, a small hotfix of a few last bugs who slipped through, changelog below.

January 8th 2014
v0.3.3.1
*Hotfix*
-Fixed a bug where single parachutes would still not arm propoerly
-Fixed stack main chute configs to have the right canopies so they actually work
-Fixed a problem with staging reset bugging the staging list
-Changed the default drag values of parts to 0.32 to actually match the real stock values
-Changed altitude detection to a faster, safer system
-Hopefully, the change above to altitude detection fixes parachutes deploying too early

Cheers! :)