[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

The animations are really pretty, buy I feel the windspeed looks a lot lower than it should be :)

While the animations are 'cute', I agree with Camacha that they look like they are opening in a freshening breeze... Not being shot out into supersonic or just below air flow....

I will try to find the animations JPL used for the "7 Minutes of Hell" for Curiosity supersonic chute...

That was a chute opening... YeHa...

This is a short segment of animation tests I was doing some time ago, that I mentioned. I think I will come back to it these days.. These could be turned into loops and actually used in KSP

Nice! Turning that into a loop and playing this at varying speed according to windspeed would be nice :)

Weeeeell... as of right now, the main chutes have alternating orange and white gores in the canopy, while the drogues / drag chutes are completely white.

The blue/orange/green scheme is for the casings.

That's what I meant :P

Is it possible to resize the canopy?

It sure is possible through the code, and I'm planning to look into this, but I doubt it is in a config since the canopy is part of the main parachute model.

Hi Chris.

Im have a little problem.

After droug parachute activation he opened and work fine. But in cfg file i set secCutAlt = 1950 , but the parachute is cut off at a much higher altitude than 1,950 meters (maybe you consider the height above sea level and not real height). Before that cut , main canopy activated in at a higher elevation than specified in cfg parameter minDeploymentAlt = 2000, and damaged.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Hi Chris.

Im have a little problem.

After droug parachute activation he opened and work fine. But in cfg file i set secCutAlt = 1950 , but the parachute is cut off at a much higher altitude than 1,950 meters (maybe you consider the height above sea level and not real height). Before that cut , main canopy activated in at a higher elevation than specified in cfg parameter minDeploymentAlt = 2000, and damaged.

Is there a solution to this problem?

If you are using dual chutes, you have to make sure there's two parachue transforms in your part and that both of them are animated.

Else, all deployments are according to true altitude. So if the ground below you goes up to 200m above sea level, your parachute will cut at 2150m ASL. This also goes for activation. Activation however will check if the terrain height below your craft is higher than the minDeploymentAlt is. If it is, it will use true altitude to deploy, else it will use sea level height.

That last part is a bit wacky I know, I'm trying to refine it for the next update.

EDIT: That last part is indeed wacky. Just booted up VS to try to change it to something that would act a little better, but I can see a lot of potential problems with it if two values are a little too close to each other. I'll be completely removing this for the next update.

EDIT²: Thinking it through, I think I will change this a little.

Currently, minimum deployment works like this:

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule

minDeploymentAlt = 40000
deploymentAlt = 700
}

Instead I would do this:

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule

minIsPressure = false
minDeployment = 40000 //or minDeployment = 0.01
deploymentAlt = 700
}

What this allows: deployment can now depend either on altitude or pressure. minIsPressure defines is the value of minDeployment is atmospheric pressure or true altitude. That should make a few people happy and set a base for what I wanted to do for the next update anyway.

Cheers guys!

EDIT³:

public float MinDeployment()
{
//Returns the right value to check
if (minIsPressure) { return pressure; }

else { return GetTrueAlt(); }
}

Edited by stupid_chris

Damn chris, that profile picture of yours scares the crap out of me for some reason. Also I'm loving the mod, since I use Deadly Reentry, sometimes my kerbals die because of the... um... "extensive" forces they "suffer" on reentry and on parachuting down heh...

Hey guys, I have a question for you guys.

As you might know, the pods don't have the same size of top and bottom nodes. That means that the parachutes I just received will either fit perfectly on pods or on fuel tanks. The other will have a small weird gap. What would you guys prefer?

Hey guys, I have a question for you guys.

As you might know, the pods don't have the same size of top and bottom nodes. That means that the parachutes I just received will either fit perfectly on pods or on fuel tanks. The other will have a small weird gap. What would you guys prefer?

My votes on pods since thats where most of my chutes will go. Chutes on my boasters wont be in view long enough for me personally to care if their pretty or not.

edit: Also couldn't it also be possible to duplicate the parts and just change the names so you have one that fits correctly on a pod and one on the tanks or would that just be a PITA.

Edited by Kalista

My votes on pods since thats where most of my chutes will go. Chutes on my boasters wont be in view long enough for me personally to care if their pretty or not.

edit: Also couldn't it also be possible to duplicate the parts and just change the names so you have one that fits correctly on a pod and one on the tanks or would that just be a PITA.

I can do it, but that would effectively take a full page in the editor. There's 15 parts for the next update, dupplicating them would bring that number to 30, and give you a whole lot of parachutes to chose from. Not sure if it's desirable.

EDIT: although that's a great idea for next update, making this togglable in the editor... taking note.

Maybe work with e-dog and NathanKell and make a procedural version? Because that would just be a killer feature and make all of use who use Realism Overhaul rescaled parts very, very happy.

I've already been saying since I first released this that it was what I'm aiming for :P

One thing I have been thinking about. I play with DRE and FAR and with how high you can pop your chutes as long as I don't come in at an extreme angle there's litterally nothing stopping me from releasing my main chute the second i go below 40km. The rate at which it slows me down by the time I hit the 32-30km range I'm going slowly enough that theres no risk of the chutes catching fire making a heatshield redundant.

Can you give thought to maybe asking nathan if you can "borrow" his ablative shielding coding and apply it to chutes but name it somethin that has to do with how much of the chute is still intact and functioning. Such as either if the resource is gone your chutes are basicly shredded beon use and are automaticly cut or the ammount of drag they produce is equal to how much of the integrity resource is left? I know I can just house rule myself and not fire chutes litterally the first moment I can but having to think before I hit that button wouldn't be a bad thing especially if it can be disabled if someone didn't wish to bother with it.

Heck you could even take it a step further and with all the new parachutes you have spread them across the tech tree denoting where parachute tech is increasing ( early chutes are barely a step above WW2 era tech later ones made of much stronger stuff able to take the higher reentry speeds).

Edited by Kalista

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.