[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

If you right-click a chute while on the launchpad or while in flight, you can show the info tab and adjust predeployment altitude/pressure as well as switch between the two modes, and adjust the deployment altitude.

Edit: added screenshot

Ec9RiPO.png

Edit 2: Also, removing the two cones and putting new ones on did not solve the issue of having two different types of chutes deploy from otherwise identical parts.

rRmdhdT.png
Edited by Baythan

If you right-click a chute while on the launchpad or while in flight, you can show the info tab and adjust predeployment altitude/pressure as well as switch between the two modes, and adjust the deployment altitude.

Edit: added screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/Ec9RiPO.png

Edit 2: Also, removing the two cones and putting new ones on did not solve the issue of having two different types of chutes deploy from otherwise identical parts.

http://i.imgur.com/rRmdhdT.png

Ah, d'oh. Currently wondering if I should remove that until a later point in career, hm.

Regardless, nice catch. I'll take some logs on that, I'll check on my side too.

EDIT: upon investigation, it's independant of career. Weird. Taking a closer look.

Edited by stupid_chris

Something I'm seeing consistently in the output log is this:

all systems started

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute Main chute Scale: 2.917974

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute Main chute Scale: 5.054079

I'm sorry to say I'm not familiar with what parts of the log would be most useful to you, or if you'd like the whole thing(over 23k lines as of right now). I'll do a search of this thread to see what you've stated about it in the past.

Edit: Here's the full output-log.

Edited by Baythan

Something I'm seeing consistently in the output log is this:

all systems started

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute Main chute Scale: 2.917974

[RealChute]: RealChute Cone Chute Main chute Scale: 5.054079

I'm sorry to say I'm not familiar with what parts of the log would be most useful to you, or if you'd like the whole thing(over 23k lines as of right now). I'll do a search of this thread to see what you've stated about it in the past.

Edit: Here's the full output-log.

Yeah, it does that because one chute is a single canopy, and the other a triple canopy. Therefore, the three canopies don't need to be as big as the other, so the scale is not the same.

I think I found the origin of the bug, I'm trying to implement a fix right now. It mostly comes from the fact that Squad removed a "feature" that allowed me to figure out which part is the original one in symmetry. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Ah, d'oh. Currently wondering if I should remove that until a later point in career, hm.

Agh! But I LIKE being able to edit when chutes deploy even without access to action groups! :P

When I installed this mod today for the first time, it confused me that there was no tweakable to do so on any chutes, even the stock ones. After scrolling through the forum for a bit I discovered that the editable stuff is tied to action groups (and still haven't progressed far enough into Career to unlock that). With stock chutes I have a bad habit of dropping all chutes deployment altitudes to 50m so I spend less time watching pods drift slowly to the ground. I quickly discovered doing so with RealChutes is a BAD idea (~350-400m is working for the small stuff I'm launching right now).

Given the complexity of the overhaul you've given to chutes, and the awesomeness of the mod in general, if you take away my ability to edit these things before action groups are available... I'll just suck it up and learn to live with it.

Love the mod already, and I've only used 2 of your chutes and 2 of the stock chutes. Can't wait to start dropping station modules on Duna.

Arguably, there is not much control from that. Just kinda weird that you can edit it from there, but not the VAB.

EDIT: Alright, earlier's bug is fixed here. Will push this all to github too, still awaiting news on the icons.

Edited by stupid_chris

Not much control, no, but as stock chutes come with tweakable pressure and altitude settings, I think those settings should still be available in the VAB/SPH no matter the career level. The rest of the editables can remain in the action groups.

Just my opinion, of course.

Not much control, no, but as stock chutes come with tweakable pressure and altitude settings, I think those settings should still be available in the VAB/SPH no matter the career level. The rest of the editables can remain in the action groups.

Just my opinion, of course.

Weeeeeeeell, you know the main point of this mod is the ideology that goes as "Stock chutes are dumb" :P

Could you please make "arm on deployment" standard? It's very tedious to right-click all the parachutes to arm them just to have them deployed. And in some situations there is no time for that.

You can punch an option in-game and make them automatically arm.

On the KSC scene, look at the top right corner; there should be a parachute icon over there. The rest is pretty intuitive. :)

e4db6d7253.png

Edited by Kowgan
Including pic, for fun.

Could you please make "arm on deployment" standard? It's very tedious to right-click all the parachutes to arm them just to have them deployed. And in some situations there is no time for that.

There's an option for that in the SpaceCenter

EDIT: ಠ_ಠ

Ninja'd. :)

Speking of which, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but even when I set it to arm manually, I never had to press the "arm" button here. Staging automatically arms and deploys the chute at it's time. Am I alone in this?

Ninja'd. :)

Speking of which, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but even when I set it to arm manually, I never had to press the "arm" button here. Staging automatically arms and deploys the chute at it's time. Am I alone in this?

Either the cute can be deployed instantly, either you really do have the option on :P

The option for automatic stuff is unmarked. So, I don't understand what others are complaining about "having to click 'arm'". :S

The chute deploys automatically when you stage then, unless you are in space or above the minimum deployment altitude. Try pressing the spacebar while in space, and you'll get a message to tell you "nope" :P Doing the same with that option activated would arm the chute and deploy them as soon as possible.

Edit: I tried to reproduce this and couldn't. I'm going to chalk this up to a mod conflict during some testing. Unless someone else sees this, disregard.

I'm getting a RealChute error related to FAR in the output log regarding getting the density, snippet below. My capsule landed safely. I'm pretty sure its related to an added boolean value to the FAR density call, this just cropped up on the Trajectories thread.

Ferram added the boolean in the GetCurrentDensity declaration in FARAeroUtil.cs:

publicstaticdoubleGetCurrentDensity(CelestialBodybody, doublealtitude, booldensitySmoothingAtOcean=true)

log snippet:

[RealChute]: Encountered an error calculating atmospheric density with FAR. Using stock values.

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[MethodInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[MethodInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.RCUtils.get_densityMethod () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.Extensions.CelestialBodyExtensions.GetDensityAtAlt (.CelestialBody body, Double alt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by atomicfury
More Info

Please don't. I've actually been looking for way to reenable the Action Group button.

It makes no sense that Kerbals wouldn't be able to pack a different sized chute until they had upgraded their building. Also makes no sense to deprive us of the stock Action Group features. - It's just an incredibly contrived addition to difficulty with zero benefit to gameplay.

I personally disagree. :)

IMHO, I prefer having these limitations in a whole (if it's there for one chute, then it should be there for all chutes), than being able to pack a few chutes, but not some others, without apparent explanation. That one makes less sense for me.

At the same time, I consider this a minor issue, and maybe it should be left for the user's choice. For example, I can simply force myself not to pack any chutes until I have unlocked the proper building.

Again, just my humble opinion. :)

Edit: I tried to reproduce this and couldn't. I'm going to chalk this up to a mod conflict during some testing. Unless someone else sees this, disregard.

I'm getting a RealChute error related to FAR in the output log regarding getting the density, snippet below. My capsule landed safely. I'm pretty sure its related to an added boolean value to the FAR density call, this just cropped up on the Trajectories thread.

Ferram added the boolean in the GetCurrentDensity declaration in FARAeroUtil.cs:

publicstaticdoubleGetCurrentDensity(CelestialBodybody, doublealtitude, booldensitySmoothingAtOcean=true)

log snippet:

[RealChute]: Encountered an error calculating atmospheric density with FAR. Using stock values.

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[MethodInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[MethodInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.RCUtils.get_densityMethod () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealChute.Extensions.CelestialBodyExtensions.GetDensityAtAlt (.CelestialBody body, Double alt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Known issue, fixed locally.

Please don't. I've actually been looking for way to reenable the Action Group button.

It makes no sense that Kerbals wouldn't be able to pack a different sized chute until they had upgraded their building. Also makes no sense to deprive us of the stock Action Group features. - It's just an incredibly contrived addition to difficulty with zero benefit to gameplay.

Actually, the next updated will allow you to change the size of the parachute case without the action groups menu. But nothing more.

This is no big deal but....

In the contracts screen when a contract is presented on behalf of Wenkel corporation the company logo does not appear in the contract detail screen header.. it shows a white blank frame where logos a typically displayed.

Or is this just me and my screen resolution doing this?

Is there a tutorial for creating MM configs for different mods that include parachutes? I've dug around and can't seem to find any. And when I try and create one myself strange things start happening xD

For example USI's new Sounding Rockets. They go pretty damn fast, and as a result come back down pretty damn fast too. The stock chute has a tendency to promote rapid deconstruction... A RealChute would likely fix the issue.

Thanks in advance!

This is no big deal but....

In the contracts screen when a contract is presented on behalf of Wenkel corporation the company logo does not appear in the contract detail screen header.. it shows a white blank frame where logos a typically displayed.

Or is this just me and my screen resolution doing this?

Same here. The logo (Wenkel Corporation or RealChute) shows up fine in the list of contracts, but plain white at the top once the contract is actually selected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.