[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

So Ive tried basically copying and pasting the modules from one of the default RealChute parts into my module manager patch for a part I wish to add the chute to but in game none of that appears and I dont see any indication the the modules were added to the part. What do?

EDIT: Im a dink... I added it to the wrong part. However the chute still dont actually function even when Im looking at the right part and the info window doesnt work properly when looking ad either of the parts when they had the modules added.

Edited by Avalon304

Hi!

This mod offers a lot of customability (which is nice), but it does so to the point of defying physics. For example, with manual mode you can set a chute to have a much BIGGER area before deployment than after, the result being a chute that despite being minuscule slows downs a capsule to 3 ms.

I'm just curious: are these kinds of exploits possible because this mod was made with a "give the player as much control as they want and let them self-regulate" philosophy or you simply haven't had the time to make the mod more realistic yet?

So Ive tried basically copying and pasting the modules from one of the default RealChute parts into my module manager patch for a part I wish to add the chute to but in game none of that appears and I dont see any indication the the modules were added to the part. What do?

EDIT: Im a dink... I added it to the wrong part. However the chute still dont actually function even when Im looking at the right part and the info window doesnt work properly when looking ad either of the parts when they had the modules added.

Sorry, you're on my 64bit users list. You voided your support then, and with this reaction it doesn't encline me to help you.

Hi!

This mod offers a lot of customability (which is nice), but it does so to the point of defying physics. For example, with manual mode you can set a chute to have a much BIGGER area before deployment than after, the result being a chute that despite being minuscule slows downs a capsule to 3 ms.

I'm just curious: are these kinds of exploits possible because this mod was made with a "give the player as much control as they want and let them self-regulate" philosophy or you simply haven't had the time to make the mod more realistic yet?

I provide a flexible tool. What you do with it is all between you and Jebus. However, addind a "preDeployedDiameter <= deployedDiameter" is something I should come around to do.

Edited by stupid_chris

Sorry, you're on my 64bit users list. You voided your support then, and with this reaction it doesn't encline me to help you.

I could prove to you that Im currently running the 32-bit version, but I wasnt posting here for your support (else I really wouldnt have bothered) I was posting here asking for help from other users of the mod, who may have experienced similar issues. [Removed]

Edited by sal_vager

I could prove to you that Im currently running the 32-bit version
  • I'm not going to support users who have unlocked RealChute on Win64, even if they revert to 32bit after. Basically, doing this voids your “guaranteeâ€Â. This will hold until Squad removes the unstable builds, or that I judge Win64 to be stable enough. You've been warned;

If people need help I'm sure they can ask for it.

Back to @z26: I've made the changes on my side, you can't manually set predeployment diameter to be larger than the deployment diameter :)

Hi stupid_chris,

I've been enjoying your mod for some time now, it really rocks. I would also like to incorporate support for your mod into M.O.L.E. and will happily RTFM to do so. It must be a late night because I cannot find a wiki link or post, do you have any docs I could read (aside from existing part modules) that can point me in the right direction? I think I need the basic support and not procedural parachutes, so I'm guessing RealChuteModule is the one I'd use? Looking at the MM configs for stock chutes, it looks like ProceduralChute is used. Is this a required module to make RealChutes work?

I appreciate the help, looking forward to getting the M.O.L.E. parachute compatible with your mod. :)

Hi stupid_chris,

I've been enjoying your mod for some time now, it really rocks. I would also like to incorporate support for your mod into M.O.L.E. and will happily RTFM to do so. It must be a late night because I cannot find a wiki link or post, do you have any docs I could read (aside from existing part modules) that can point me in the right direction? I think I need the basic support and not procedural parachutes, so I'm guessing RealChuteModule is the one I'd use? Looking at the MM configs for stock chutes, it looks like ProceduralChute is used. Is this a required module to make RealChutes work?

I appreciate the help, looking forward to getting the M.O.L.E. parachute compatible with your mod. :)

Yes, RealChuteModule is the only thing you'll be needing. The ProceduralChute module is used to generate the action groups editor window. If you simply want to incorporate the parachute functionality, you can do it by adding the RealChuteModule. There's some info on it in the OP of this thread, but don't hesitate to ask if you need any help.

Hi stupid_chris,

Yes, RealChuteModule is the only thing you'll be needing. The ProceduralChute module is used to generate the action groups editor window. If you simply want to incorporate the parachute functionality, you can do it by adding the RealChuteModule. There's some info on it in the OP of this thread, but don't hesitate to ask if you need any help.

The parachutes from my SDHI Service Module System add-on has such an implementation (i.e. basic support, no procedural dialog):

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/blob/master/GameData/SDHI/Service%20Module%20System/Parts/SDHI_ParaDock_1_ClampOTron/part.cfg

Oh very cool, thank you for the example. :) How do you set the parachute drag like you do in the stock parachute? I know that some of it is based on materials but I don't see a drag parameter.

chute diameter controls drag.

Set up up a chute the way you want using one of the stock real chutes with an eye towards how much mass you want it to put down and how slow you want it at touchdown. (Set up an example craft you want it to be able to handle)

when that is set up, copy appropriate parameters to your MOLE chute

Alternatively, you can download this. It's a little app I made to calculate this. You slap in the parameters you want and it'll spew out the required diameter.

Oooo I didn't realize that was still around.

Question though, in the case of RSS, does Real Chute (the KSP plugin) handle non-legacy atmospheres? (I.e. ones with useLegacyAtmosphere = false + pressureCurve data)

Oooo I didn't realize that was still around.

Question though, in the case of RSS, does Real Chute (the KSP plugin) handle non-legacy atmospheres? (I.e. ones with useLegacyAtmosphere = false + pressureCurve data)

It's still alive, I just don't include it in the main download anymore though.

RealChute doesn't interact at all with the stock atmospheres, only exception being to fetch density values, but if FAR is present it will fetch the values FAR give it. So yes, it will work with non-legacy atmoshphere because I'm pretty sure the HighLogic methods spew out the right values for non-legacy atmospheres, but then again RSS is supposed to be played by FAR so.