[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

What I was reporting was that the button doesn't work. I was getting around this on 2014 builds by copying the chute with the correct settings as necessary, which worked... sufficiently. In any case, I've done some fresh testing.

One chute:

Applies - Yes | Applies to all - N/A | Copies chute - N/A | In game - Passed

Symmetric chutes:

Applies - Yes | Applies to all - Yes | Copies chute - N/A | In game - Indeterminate. Looks like most settings are correctly saved now, but certain ones like # spare chutes are not. This looks to have improved since 2014 builds.

One chute, copied as symmetric:

Applies - Yes | Applies to all - N/A | Copies chute - Yes, in editor | In game - Failed, only base chute

I can't reproduce that and no one has reported such a bug since 1.2.2, and that was last summer. I can't help you with only that information. Strip other mods and reproduce that then send me logs.

I know, you said that 64 bit support will be dropped but right now, i just installed linux and want to play .90 64 in it and it seems it's lot more stable than the windows version, and i may stick to this version for few updates to come, so, can i beg for a 64 version at least for .90 with the announcement that the usage and it's risks are up to the user and there will be no support for it? if not, is there a way for me to just compile it for 64 myself? (never done it for ksp so a little help would be appreciated) or does this mod works on linux 64 version? because op post says it's not supporting windows 64 how about linux?

I can't reproduce that and no one has reported such a bug since 1.2.2, and that was last summer. I can't help you with only that information. Strip other mods and reproduce that then send me logs.

I've had the same problem sometimes (also on Linux 64-bit). Haven’t reported it, as I found a simple workaround. For me, sometimes (but not always) clicking “apply to all symmetry counterparts†appears not to work (at least, RCS Build Aid shows a fair amount of torque).

But if I click to remove the part, then attach it again, then “Apply to all symmetry counterparts†usually works. Occasionally it doesn’t work then either, but removing and reattaching it one more time usually does the trick.

I run such a huge modlist that trying to track down every problem ain’t worth it for me, especially if I can get around it simply. If you want, I can do a stripped-down test install to see if I can reproduce it in a very basic setup.

- - - Updated - - -

I know, you said that 64 bit support will be dropped but right now, i just installed linux and want to play .90 64 in it and it seems it's lot more stable than the windows version, and i may stick to this version for few updates to come, so, can i beg for a 64 version at least for .90 with the announcement that the usage and it's risks are up to the user and there will be no support for it? if not, is there a way for me to just compile it for 64 myself? (never done it for ksp so a little help would be appreciated) or does this mod works on linux 64 version? because op post says it's not supporting windows 64 how about linux?

Windows 64-bit isn’t supported. Linux 64-bit is supported, as far as I know, as it’s a lot more stable than the borked Windows 64-bit version. The OP states that Windows 64-bit isn’t supported.

For me at least, Linux 64-bit is much more stable than Windows 32-bit ever was...

It's only on windows the KSP 64 bit .exe gets locked out, linux is fine

I've had the same problem sometimes (also on Linux 64-bit). Haven’t reported it, as I found a simple workaround. For me, sometimes (but not always) clicking “apply to all symmetry counterparts†appears not to work (at least, RCS Build Aid shows a fair amount of torque).

But if I click to remove the part, then attach it again, then “Apply to all symmetry counterparts†usually works. Occasionally it doesn’t work then either, but removing and reattaching it one more time usually does the trick.

I run such a huge modlist that trying to track down every problem ain’t worth it for me, especially if I can get around it simply. If you want, I can do a stripped-down test install to see if I can reproduce it in a very basic setup.

Unpredictible/changing behaviour heavily sounds like a bad interaction between mods. So yes, unless you can reproduce that predictibely on an install that only has RealChute, and given I can't get this to happen here, I'm gonna have to assume this isn't on my end of the rope.

Unpredictible/changing behaviour heavily sounds like a bad interaction between mods. So yes, unless you can reproduce that predictibely on an install that only has RealChute, and given I can't get this to happen here, I'm gonna have to assume this isn't on my end of the rope.

Fair enough, I completely understand. I figured it was probably some dodgy mod interaction. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me anyway. :wink:

Was that to make the rate of change continuous through pre-deployment and deployment, or to reduce max gs, or to match reality?

All three answers are correct. My past way of proceeding was to make the area change exponantially over time. This would give it plenty of time to react, but the beginning was too "smoot", and the ending a little too rough to my liking. Not only that, but after predeployment, deployment would start again with a rate of change of nearly nothing at first. Therefore I changed it to match a little more reality: instead now the diameter increases linearly. And given the area isgiven by is1I0Rx.png, this causes a quadratic rate of change for the area, which is generally smoother and less rough on the vessel. Given the diameter is already at a given value when deployment starts, this makes the predeployment and deployment curve line up nearly perfectly (it isn't exactly, but the large the difference between predeployment and deployment is in terms of area, the better it will line up. For example the image above is a predeployed area of 2.8m of diameter and 11.3m fully deployed).

Overall this should make it much smoother and more realistic on the vessels.

When I customize the main chute and it tells me that the craft is too heavy, how do I balance several chutes together so I don't have either overkill or too little chutes on the vessel? For example if I have one stack chute and a symetrical set of 2-4 radial chutes, when I do apply settings for all of them with the default deployment speed of 6m/s, I end up with an overkill setting.

Also, what is the secondary chute setting? Is it only relevant for combo chutes?

When I customize the main chute and it tells me that the craft is too heavy, how do I balance several chutes together so I don't have either overkill or too little chutes on the vessel? For example if I have one stack chute and a symetrical set of 2-4 radial chutes, when I do apply settings for all of them with the default deployment speed of 6m/s, I end up with an overkill setting.

Also, what is the secondary chute setting? Is it only relevant for combo chutes?

To start with, if you are receiving this warning, make sure that the vessel in the editor is only what is going to land. If you have your launcher and all the rest of the vessel attached to this, RealChute assumes you *also* wants to land that. If what you're actually trying to land really is too heavy for a single chute, you need to tell RealChute how many chutes you'll be using. In the part of the window that says "calculations", where you input the landing speed, there is a field that says "parachutes used". Set this to the number of parachutes you'll be using to land that craft. So for example for what you said, if you had a stack chute and four radials, you'd put in 6. One for each radial, and two for both chutes on the stack chute. The secondary chute setting is for parachute that have a second chute on the part. There's virtually no limit to how many chutes you can have on one part. The editor window separates them so you can edit them separately, and the second chute appears after the "secondary chute" demarkation.

Great! Thanks a lot for the clarification. I'm getting the idea. I was already making sure that when configuring the chutes, only the module that I wanted to land was in the editor.

So, when I set the total number of chutes to 6 in the settings of all the different chutes, does it take into account that the max diameter of a stack chute is not the same as a radial one? Just asking because what I'm thinking in my simple mind is that the system might assume that I'm using 3 of those big stack chutes instead of one stack and four little radials.

Great! Thanks a lot for the clarification. I'm getting the idea. I was already making sure that when configuring the chutes, only the module that I wanted to land was in the editor.

So, when I set the total number of chutes to 6 in the settings of all the different chutes, does it take into account that the max diameter of a stack chute is not the same as a radial one? Just asking because what I'm thinking in my simple mind is that the system might assume that I'm using 3 of those big stack chutes instead of one stack and four little radials.

Are you confusing terms here? The stack chute is not the cone chute (the pointy one). The stack chute is the inline chute you can, well, stack things on top of. Once this is cleared, I also need to point out that the maximum diameter is not set by the part, it's set by the parachute canopy itself. Single chutes have a 70m maximu diameter, while triple ones have a 121m maximum diameter (it's the exact equivalent of three 70m chutes). The stack chute has two single chutes, so they have the same maximum diameter as the radials. If you meant the cone chute which has a triple chute, then no it will not account for it's different max diameter as it's trying to split the charge evenly. But then again, for complex situations like this, it might get easier to calculate this yourself and then use the manual editor to plug in parachute diameters.

Once this is cleared, I also need to point out that the maximum diameter is not set by the part, it's set by the parachute canopy itself.

That's what I was not aware of. Thanks again for the clarification.

I don't think that I'm confusing terms, I know the difference between stack, radial and cone chutes.