[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

17 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

@Maelin to me it sounds like your reentry path was too steep. I can hardly manage to go past 220m/s once at around 8km of altitude.

Yep, I had the idea of removing all the mods, and tried it in entirely stock. Turns out that craft is just too aerodynamic and too heavy for a straight-down trajectory from the top of the atmosphere to be viable. A capsule by itself decelerates from 70km with plenty of time for chutes to deploy, but not the thing with the science module and the tank and engine.

Redesign time!

21 hours ago, Maelin said:

Yep, I had the idea of removing all the mods, and tried it in entirely stock. Turns out that craft is just too aerodynamic and too heavy for a straight-down trajectory from the top of the atmosphere to be viable. A capsule by itself decelerates from 70km with plenty of time for chutes to deploy, but not the thing with the science module and the tank and engine.

Redesign time!

Sounds like drogues would do the job.

I have an issue where craft re-entering the atmosphere can have extreme drag, almost to the point of being able to de-orbit and land without the use of parachutes. In the last instance, speed had fallen to just 16m/s at around 2km without deploying any parachutes. The aerodynamic overlay showed an extreme amount of drag coming from the undeployed parachutes. I was also unable to rearrange them in staging - they acted like they had deployed from the second I hit the atmosphere. As a test, I removed RealChute & reloaded my save. In that instance, the chutes behaved normally although the re-entry was extremely rapid; I suspect the rapidity was due to the drag coefficient changes mentioned in the 1.1.2 change log.

6 minutes ago, Bombaatu said:

I have an issue where craft re-entering the atmosphere can have extreme drag, almost to the point of being able to de-orbit and land without the use of parachutes. In the last instance, speed had fallen to just 16m/s at around 2km without deploying any parachutes. The aerodynamic overlay showed an extreme amount of drag coming from the undeployed parachutes. I was also unable to rearrange them in staging - they acted like they had deployed from the second I hit the atmosphere. As a test, I removed RealChute & reloaded my save. In that instance, the chutes behaved normally although the re-entry was extremely rapid; I suspect the rapidity was due to the drag coefficient changes mentioned in the 1.1.2 change log.

I'm pretty sure the big red disclaimer in my OP is clear enough.

EDIT: I'm gonna start ignoring posts like this now, telling people to go read the disclaimer is as annoying as asking for correct support demands and logs

Edited by stupid_chris

19 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

I'm pretty sure the big red disclaimer in my OP is clear enough.

EDIT: I'm gonna start ignoring posts like this now, telling people to go read the disclaimer is as annoying as asking for correct support demands and logs

My apologies; I hadn't read the OP. I won't trouble you again.

I'm having a few problems with the interaction between the Flight Control System part from Angel-125's Mark One Laboratory Extensions (M.O.L.E.) 

The problem I'm having is thus:
PXCur89.png

Logs here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13EZfpb-eHymV-VV8eo79YyIqvd5JT0t9t5eM7FCBErk/edit?usp=sharing

Can anyone who's using these mods together help me? I think it's something wrong with a drag cube somewhere, or the FCS thinks the chute is deployoyed.

12 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast said:

Being able to change the altitude at which the chutes deploy inside the VAB would be great. Any plans on doing this? Is there maybe a simple config file I could change to achieve this now?

You can already do that in the VAB. There is a lot you can do including change size of chute, style of chute, etc, Auto calc what size the chute should be for a given planet.

You need to use the action group editor though so if you're in career mode you must have upgraded to being able to use the AG editor

Hi Guys and @stupid_chris I was just wondering if it is possible to add a collision model for the chutes?

I just came back from an orbital flight and ditched my heatshield to reduce the vessels mass. I then noticed, that the heatshield flew through my drogue chutes without collision.

Now I know that this is normal in stock, but I was wondering if it would be possible to code such a collision model with realchutes.

regards :)

40 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

You can already do that in the VAB. There is a lot you can do including change size of chute, style of chute, etc, Auto calc what size the chute should be for a given planet.

You need to use the action group editor though so if you're in career mode you must have upgraded to being able to use the AG editor

Actually it is kind of silly that you can't change even the most basic settings like pre-deploy and deploy altitudes in the VAB before you've upgraded, and you have to wait until you're on the launchpad to adjust that stuff...

3 minutes ago, Maelin said:

Actually it is kind of silly that you can't change even the most basic settings like pre-deploy and deploy altitudes in the VAB before you've upgraded, and you have to wait until you're on the launchpad to adjust that stuff...

It's tied into the action group editor. Invoking that invokes the chute editor. That's just the reality of the situation right now.

@Maelin @Starwaster Action Groups Extended is finally out for 1.1. I haven't tested it yet (my current career is already way past that stage), but under 1.0.5, AGX could force open the stock action group editor in VAB/SPH without cheatily giving you actual access to any action groups if didn't yet earn them by upgrading. It worked like a charm to access the RealChute GUI in a lvl 1 VAB/SPH. I believe stupid_chris expressed willingness to one day copy that functionality.

4 hours ago, Benti said:

Hi Guys and @stupid_chris I was just wondering if it is possible to add a collision model for the chutes?

I just came back from an orbital flight and ditched my heatshield to reduce the vessels mass. I then noticed, that the heatshield flew through my drogue chutes without collision.

Now I know that this is normal in stock, but I was wondering if it would be possible to code such a collision model with realchutes.

regards :)

That brings much more complexity than you can possibly imagine it does. Colliders on chutes would not play well internally, especially when deploying, then would make them act as bricks when coliding with other objects. It's just not really possible without a huge amount of code and a lot of dirty tricks, and I'm not ready to do that right now (or in any forseeable future)

4 hours ago, Maelin said:

1 hour ago, MaxRebo said:

@Maelin @Starwaster Action Groups Extended is finally out for 1.1. I haven't tested it yet (my current career is already way past that stage), but under 1.0.5, AGX could force open the stock action group editor in VAB/SPH without cheatily giving you actual access to any action groups if didn't yet earn them by upgrading. It worked like a charm to access the RealChute GUI in a lvl 1 VAB/SPH. I believe stupid_chris expressed willingness to one day copy that functionality.

It indeed is really silly, but you're gonna have to deal with it. If you're that unhappy with it, I'll gladly prevent it from happening in flight too until they're unlocked. And MaxRebo is right here on the whole line.

9 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

That brings much more complexity than you can possibly imagine it does. Colliders on chutes would not play well internally, especially when deploying, then would make them act as bricks when coliding with other objects. It's just not really possible without a huge amount of code and a lot of dirty tricks, and I'm not ready to do that right now (or in any forseeable future)

It indeed is really silly, but you're gonna have to deal with it. If you're that unhappy with it, I'll gladly prevent it from happening in flight too until they're unlocked. And MaxRebo is right here on the whole line.

Alright, thanks for letting me know. I'll keep my hopes up that you will consider it some day. :D 

On 4/24/2016 at 7:48 PM, Divstator said:

Actually, mine looks suspiciously like his. :) I changed the diameters because in FAR with the "thinner" air, chute drag is almost less than the rocket itself, which causes the rocket to be pointing downward when the chute fully deploys. When that happens the animation makes the chute deploy upside down and then it snaps back once the physics kick in. I used the chute calculator to help me figure out which diameter of chute I needed for my applications, and I was going to post it over in the Sounding Rockets forum once I got the PackChute to working. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.

As far as the config goes, the nose cones work, it's just the Pack chute I can't get to work. I messed with it for like 16 hours yesterday. I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the fact that the pack doesn't have an animation, it doesn't "unpack" as it were, the chute just pops out of it. But nose cones have animations where they split and then the chute comes out. I looked at the pack in Blender and "looks" right, but I have very,VERY little modeling experience. Who knows, I went through the cfg over and over yesterday and if something is wrong with it, it's something that I just can't see.

The latest changes to that cfg was to substitue :NEEDS for :FOR before[RealChute]. I "think" that allows you to put the cfg outside the RealChute folder. I know MM will find them anywhere in the game directory, but since it's a modified cfg not done by stupid_chris, it just seemed proper.

On 4/25/2016 at 8:01 PM, Gaiiden said:

sorry I missed that it was only a problem with the pack chute

On 4/25/2016 at 8:08 PM, Divstator said:

Actually I forgot to mention that the "pack" loses it's texture once the chute comes out and it doesn't do that when it's inside the nose cones.

@Gaiiden No worries. :)

On 4/24/2016 at 6:46 PM, Gaiiden said:

Was going to suggest you have a look at this config for RC/SR compatibility but it looks suspiciously like yours (original cfg on left, "cobbled" version on right).

I used that patch myself when it was posted and never had any problems with the 0.35 nose cone chute with pre-v1.1 KSP.

So it might not actually be the config unless the few changes made make a difference somehow. Or maybe it is the config, just not re-written properly for any changes made to v1.1

On 4/25/2016 at 9:49 PM, stupid_chris said:

Do NOT use :FOR[RealChute], or :FOR[any_mod] unless you are the maintainer of that mod. This node is reserved only for the mod and modder in question, and using it might completely screw up how the mod works. Patches work no matter where in GameData you put them, regardless of what they affect and when they run. As I've said, you mightwant to try :BEFORE[RealChute], but from what you described, it seems the parachute itself is poorly built if it behaves this way, and I can't do anything about it.

The problem with the packchute it was marked as physicsless

PhysicsSignificance = 1

. I added a pull request here. I'm not sure if @stupid_chris is going to accept it though. Either way, 

@PhysicsSignificance = 0

needs to be added to the packchute section of the MM config. Alternately, I think

!PhysicsSignificance = 1

should work.

Lastly, I HAVE tested this with both stock and FAR and it does work.

Edited by blnk2007
Correct syntax

1 minute ago, NathanKell said:

!key or -key alone will not work IIRC, you need to set it equal to something. Like !key = DEL or !key = foo or whatever.

Yes, I forgot about that. Read it recently. I'll fix the post. 

I probably should have posted something here that I had solved this. Appologies to both stupid_chris and blnk2007. I did post over in the Sounding Rockets' thread  here. Speaking only for myself, I consider this "fix" outside the scope of RealChute because you are essentially modifying the internals of Sounding Rockets to get it to work, which is in Roverdude's arena. He may have internal reasons that he wants that part physicsless. Anyways, my bad, sorry about that guys.

I've tried to do my due diligence of searching and reading but I've gotten conflicting results so I'd like to confirm this for sure. I'm playing career (with Realism Overhaul and its mods) and I'm trying to adjust the size of the parachutes at the very beginning of the career. No upgrades, so no action groups. I do however have "Next Size" and "Previous Size" under the right click menu but they don't do anything. I can click them but the size of the parachute doesn't change. I've read so many things from so many different times/versions including that these two buttons shouldn't be there anymore or that I can use AGE to expose the RealChute panel (which I can) but it still doesn't include change size. Is there a known conflict between RO and RealChute right now or am I just missing something blatantly obvious? Thanks for any help.

UPDATE: Well, for reasons unknown, starting a new career resolved this. No idea why as I had literally just started the career where it wasn't working. Oh well. 

Edited by patrioticparadox

While looking through the log file, I found this error:

Spoiler

ERR 16:29:29.507] [RealChute]: Encountered an error calculating atmospheric density with FAR. Using stock values.
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RealChute.RCUtils.get_DensityMethod () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RealChute.Extensions.CelestialBodyExtensions.GetDensityAtAlt (.CelestialBody body, Double alt, Double temperature) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Full log here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=67122759112295572494

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.