stupid_chris

[1.7] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.7.4 | 13/04/19

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rohaq said:

I'm guessing this one is going to be useless too, then :)

DCIxMjK.png

From a practical standpoint, yes.

Impractically, can you achieve escape velocity before reaching altitude/atmospheric pressure that renders it impossible to deploy the chutes? (have to configure them for a high altitude and 'must go down' has to be disabled on that chute as well). There's other ways you might do it... (be orbital then set up an escape trajectory that carries you back into the atmosphere low enough to deploy the chute)

If you can do that then you can fulfill that contract. The chute would almost certainly fail so you'd have to have a backup.

Practically speaking though, it seems unlikely that you're going to fulfill that contract... but there's nothing hard coded there that would prevent it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, StickLabs said:

My realchute is not working,There is no editor window,plus I have no parachute in staging when i place it.

 

Woefully inadequate information. 

Logs, logs, logs!

Edited by Starwaster
Stupid forum software quoted wrong post (or rather it held older post in buffer that I had already replied to)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran into an oddity last night--it's probably just my misunderstanding as I'm extremely new to RealChutes.

I was testing an unmanned launch to about 20km before doing it manned. When my apoapsis hit about 20km after launch, I cut my engines and staged to the RealChute Cone Chute. Some information appeared on the screen (paraphrased) "Waiting for negative velocity to deploy. Current velocity XX m/s." Once the velocity went negative, RealChute then issues an error on-screen saying it couldn't deploy because it was too high. It then proceeded to fall all the way to the ground and crash. I did not modify the parameters of the chute (3000m pre-deployment, 700m deployment IIRC).

I redid the test and manually armed the RealChute after the error message. In this case it did pre-deploy and deploy properly.

My assumption was that RealChutes worked similar to stock parachutes in that you could stage them ahead of time and they wouldn't try to pre-deploy until they reached their target altitude or pressure. What should I do differently so I don't have to baby the staging time or manually arm the parachute? Thanks.

Edited by doktorstick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok had to shut off phone as a movie was starting. 

Arming option is what you want but I'm not sure how that behaves if 'must go down' is checked, you're going up, arm and then going down but conditions no longer met...

not sure if that's been checked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2017 at 5:04 AM, doktorstick said:

I ran into an oddity last night--it's probably just my misunderstanding as I'm extremely new to RealChutes.

I was testing an unmanned launch to about 20km before doing it manned. When my apoapsis hit about 20km after launch, I cut my engines and staged to the RealChute Cone Chute. Some information appeared on the screen (paraphrased) "Waiting for negative velocity to deploy. Current velocity XX m/s." Once the velocity went negative, RealChute then issues an error on-screen saying it couldn't deploy because it was too high. It then proceeded to fall all the way to the ground and crash. I did not modify the parameters of the chute (3000m pre-deployment, 700m deployment IIRC).

I redid the test and manually armed the RealChute after the error message. In this case it did pre-deploy and deploy properly.

My assumption was that RealChutes worked similar to stock parachutes in that you could stage them ahead of time and they wouldn't try to pre-deploy until they reached their target altitude or pressure. What should I do differently so I don't have to baby the staging time or manually arm the parachute? Thanks.

Yep as starwaster said, by default staging will deploy instead of arm. There's an option in the KSC real chutes menu to make staging arm the chute instead. In my experience the 'must go down' option doesn't interfere with this behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, darvo110 said:

Yep as starwaster said, by default staging will deploy instead of arm. There's an option in the KSC real chutes menu to make staging arm the chute instead. In my experience the 'must go down' option doesn't interfere with this behaviour.

That's good to know. I usually turn that off on my chutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any way to change the default predeployment altitude from 30000 m to something sensible? I have to change it every single time, because if a chute predeploys at 30000 m it just tears off immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Maelin said:

Is there any way to change the default predeployment altitude from 30000 m to something sensible? I have to change it every single time, because if a chute predeploys at 30000 m it just tears off immediately.

There is minDeployment value in the config of a chute. I think, that it's the value you are looking for.

// Single main chute
		PARACHUTE
		{
			material = Nylon
			capName = cone
			parachuteName = RC_triple_canopy
			preDeploymentAnimation = RC_triple_chute_semi_deploy
			deploymentAnimation = RC_triple_chute_full_deploy
			preDeployedDiameter = 2.5
			deployedDiameter = 50
			minIsPressure = false
			minDeployment = 30000
			deploymentAlt = 700
			cutAlt = -1
			preDeploymentSpeed = 2
			deploymentSpeed = 6
		}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyway to keep symmetric radial chutes from clipping into each other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1.12.2016 at 3:43 AM, NeuroticGamer said:

I'm hoping another RealChute user will chime in and tell me I'm an idiot but I'm having some problems with 1.4.1.2 on KSP 1.2.1.

I have StageRecovery mod installed (no FAR), so I want to recover my spent stages with minimal design effort in the VAB.  I know how to work the UI for things like my return capsule (dry weight and no other rocket parts attached to throw off calculations).  That all works fine.  But for StageRecovery, I just need to ball-park my chute sizes since that mod can't rely on the physics engine to determine touchdown speed.  I want to simply have my chutes all set to 70m (max diameter AFAICT at least at my point in career mode) and then I'll just slap on as many chutes as I think it needs based on KER's dry weight tooltips.  I can create 1 radial RealChute, get its properties set; all is well.  If I try to Mod-LeftClick to copy the RealChute, I lose ALL modified RealChute parameters except the seemingly cosmetic visual size of the part.  I'm back to the 30m default chute again.  A very old post from 2014 implies that copying in the VAB should just work.

 

EDIT: I found one thing: the option setting for whether GUI resize affects canopy size.

I do it the other way around. Just sum up the dry mass of the jettisoned parts (at least the heavy ones like tanks and engines), input that as mass parameter into the RC config screen and let RC figure out the parameters. You have to switch to manual mass input of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iFlyAllTheTime said:

Does 1.4.1.2 work in KSP 1.2.2?

I am using this without problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jebs_SY said:

I am using this without problems.

Appreciate the response...

 

Can someone tell me if most of the parts pack that were updated to 1.2 should work for 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 as well? I ask because quite a few of the parts that I'm looking for have been updated for either 1.2 or 1.2.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iFlyAllTheTime said:

Appreciate the response...

 

Can someone tell me if most of the parts pack that were updated to 1.2 should work for 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 as well? I ask because quite a few of the parts that I'm looking for have been updated for either 1.2 or 1.2.1.

Parts packs are usually immune to version changes, with a few exceptions that you probably won't find in parachute parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

How to download from the github

 

Notice Me

Just click the GIthub link in the very first post where it says Download. It takes you right to the latest release.

 

Mediocre!

(we're doing a Mad Max thing, is that it?)

Edited by Starwaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed the mod was pulling non-stock parts with stock parachute modules into its Parachute category but leaving them in their original stock category locations, so this'll clean that up

@PART[*]:HAS[~category[none],@MODULE[ModuleParachute]]:NEEDS[RealChute]:FINAL
{
  @category = none
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2017 at 10:47 PM, Starwaster said:

Just click the GIthub link in the very first post where it says Download. It takes you right to the latest release.

 

Mediocre!

(we're doing a Mad Max thing, is that it?)

Thanks, Didn't see the download thing and i clicked on the source :P

Also, is this compatible with Lithobrake mod 1.2.2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Thanks, Didn't see the download thing and i clicked on the source :P

Also, is this compatible with Lithobrake mod 1.2.2?

No idea. If Lithobrake has chute parts, there are no configs present in RealChute that convert them. Have you asked in Lithobrake's thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2017 at 11:49 AM, Starwaster said:

No idea. If Lithobrake has chute parts, there are no configs present in RealChute that convert them. Have you asked in Lithobrake's thread?

I'm not at my gaming computer right now but I'm pretty sure RC doesn't break Lithobrake chutes (RC and StageRecovery opens them) but you can't tune them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NeuroticGamer said:

I'm not at my gaming computer right now but I'm pretty sure RC doesn't break Lithobrake chutes (RC and StageRecovery opens them) but you can't tune them.

Either they don't have RC configs at all or they have RC parameters that are designed to be unalterable in the editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2017 at 1:21 AM, Drew Kerman said:

I noticed the mod was pulling non-stock parts with stock parachute modules into its Parachute category but leaving them in their original stock category locations, so this'll clean that up


@PART[*]:HAS[~category[none],@MODULE[ModuleParachute]]:NEEDS[RealChute]:FINAL
{
  @category = none
}

 

@Drew Kerman

Sorry if this is off topic from RealChute (its a great mod), but I don't know where else to ask.  

I've been trying to get all the KIS items out of the Utility category so that they only show up in the EVA Items category (they show up in both and it makes the utility category messy), but I have almost no modding experience and don't know what to do. Drew's comment was the closest thing I could find with various google searches.

I've been doing my testing with the wrench because I don't think I need it anyways.  First I went to the part.cfg in the KIS folder and changing "Utility" to "EVA Items"

PART
{
	name = KIS_wrench
    category = EVA Items
    tags = KIS EVA tool building portable cck-eva-items
}

That just made it disappear from both categories.  Looking around at various config files I found:  MM-CommunityCategoryKit.cfg in ...\GameData\KIS\Patches

@CCKExtraFilterConfig
{
	Item
	{
		name = EVA Items
		tag = cck-eva-items
		normalIcon = KIS/Textures/EVAItemsFilterIcon
		usedByMod = Kerbal Inventory System (KIS)
	}
}

I also found this in my Module Manager files:

UrlConfig
{
	name = KIS_wrench
	type = PART
	parentUrl = KIS/Parts/wrench/part
	url = KIS/Parts/wrench/part/KIS_wrench
	PART
	{
		name = KIS_wrench
		category = Utility
		tags = KIS EVA tool building portable cck-eva-items
	}
}

Changing Utility to EVA Items didn't work here either.  It looks like EVA Items is just a filter and not added as a "real" category?  idk, It looks like I could use your bit of code, but I don't know how to edit it or where to put it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.