[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I tried taping some chutes to a booster for fun (the booster "only" reaches 250 m/s). The chutes deploy, but as soon as I detach the booster, the chutes cut. Is that supposed to happen? I don't know what's going on. KSP log doesnt mention anything. Maybe StageRecovery is interfering?

On 4/17/2019 at 3:48 AM, cami said:

I tried taping some chutes to a booster for fun (the booster "only" reaches 250 m/s). The chutes deploy, but as soon as I detach the booster, the chutes cut. Is that supposed to happen? I don't know what's going on. KSP log doesnt mention anything. Maybe StageRecovery is interfering?

Addendum: I found a way for additional intel, and the parachutes arent actually cut, they dont really deploy (the still show up briefly until they realize that, which made me think they were cut). The deployment fails because "parachute is in fairings" which doesn't make any sense, as the craft doesn't have fairings. They are simply attached to the outside of your ordinary cylindrical tank. Is there anything else that triggers this message than actual fairings?

7 hours ago, cami said:

Addendum: I found a way for additional intel, and the parachutes arent actually cut, they dont really deploy (the still show up briefly until they realize that, which made me think they were cut). The deployment fails because "parachute is in fairings" which doesn't make any sense, as the craft doesn't have fairings. They are simply attached to the outside of your ordinary cylindrical tank. Is there anything else that triggers this message than actual fairings?

Being shielded from airflow.

18 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Being shielded from airflow.

That's a very useful hint, I'll keep that it mind. Thank you very much!

In this particular case, it appears that the stock mini chute, when attached to the side of a rockomax tank, partially embeds itself into the tank (that is probably a bug). I pulled it outwards a little and the chutes opened just fine.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but if it has, I can't find the right search incantation to find it.

With regard to the "shielded from airflow"/"part is in fairing"/related issue...Crazy idea: Would it be particularly difficult to just...add a config option to ignore that "shieldedFromAirflow" flag, for cases where we know the game is going to think the part is shielded, or to protect against chutes embedding themselves into other parts? It's hard to make a nice-looking CSM with these chutes thinking they're in the fairing (and me of course finding this out after nearly completing a Mun mission...). 

An in-flight tweakable to override this upon finding out it's "shielded" would be nice as well :)

Another, alternate thought: a "cut off cone" stack chute (e.g. 1.25m -> 0.625m), that's "passable" according to Connected Living Space, would be a nice addition to the existing selection.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:27 PM, coolguy8445 said:

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but if it has, I can't find the right search incantation to find it.

With regard to the "shielded from airflow"/"part is in fairing"/related issue...Crazy idea: Would it be particularly difficult to just...add a config option to ignore that "shieldedFromAirflow" flag, for cases where we know the game is going to think the part is shielded, or to protect against chutes embedding themselves into other parts? It's hard to make a nice-looking CSM with these chutes thinking they're in the fairing (and me of course finding this out after nearly completing a Mun mission...). 

An in-flight tweakable to override this upon finding out it's "shielded" would be nice as well :)

Another, alternate thought: a "cut off cone" stack chute (e.g. 1.25m -> 0.625m), that's "passable" according to Connected Living Space, would be a nice addition to the existing selection.

The mod is RealChute. The goal is to create realistic chutes. If your chutes cannot deploy because they actually aren't in the airflow, they shouldn't. I won't add an option to make the chutes less realistic. I'm not developing this version anymore anyway, any new features will be in the RealChute 2 package.

Now, use the stack chutes to make a CSM, that's exactly what they are for.

9 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Good to know.  Have you started a separate thread for RC2 or will you extend this one?

I'll start a separate thread when it's ready. I'm developping it right now on a private GitHub repo, with only a handful of people having access to look at it. I'm trying not to get people to speculate when/how it'll be ready and what's going to be in the new features, I have a long history of jumping between projects. I'm also working on a game itself during the summer so my time will be split between this and the game.

Everyone will know that it's ready when it is :)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Some crabby remarks have been removed from this thread. Please don't make things personal, and if people ask for additional info, it's because they need it to try to offer help. 

Maybe you should take over RC support then. I give up.

For some reason I can't tweak the parachutes. They seem to be just functioning like regular parachutes now. IDK what happened. I reinstalled uninstalled and reinstalled real chute. I downloaded it again. Also there is no real chute on the toolbar in the VAB. Just the parts with no ability to adjust them. Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GUBZJjteDmz0OkaFnyQ0o2QcsexEKXwc

There is a part with built-in RealChute:
GameData\RP-0\Parts\SampleReturnCapsule\RP0SampleReturnCommand.cfg

The issue is, the chute faces downwards.

Editing this line in the config doesn't change anything:
reverseOrientation = false / true

Besides any lines in the config, what else could make RealChute behave like this?

Has been fixed.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

How can you change the size of a parachute?

Go into the action menu in the VAB/SPH and click on the chute. It will give you a lot of options. SYou weren't very specific about what chute or what you meant by size, but chances are good you'll find what you're looking for there.

Oh, and if you are playing career, you need to have unlocked the action menu by either having a level 2 (or higher) VAB/SPH, or you need to change the appropriate setting to always have access to it. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone else who's also a fan of this mod. Just wanted your help/input/feedback on a possible submod I'm starting to work on. If you'd like to take a look, here's a link: 

Beside that, @stupid_chris, could you please take a look and see if it's alright for me to release a download link? It shouldn't violate your license terms for RealChute, but I'd still rather have your opinion/blessing first. Thanks in advance!