[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Can someone tell me how to use this with debrefund?

before installing this I put 6 radial chutes on my large KS Rocketry SRB's and they would land at 5.5m/s

I just tried with 8 chutes per SRB and it lands at 9 m/s, so I tried going into the config and it just keeps giving me the message "craft mass too high, setting to maximum" regardless of how many chutes I put on.

Two things: if this is for SRBs then you're landing them after they're spent right? Did you select the option to calculate with dry mass?

second: when putting multiple chutes on a part, you have to tell it how many chutes to use for its calculations. There's a place to enter that.

edit: third: you don't have the entire ship attached when configuring SRB chutes right? That will throw off calc.

Edited by Starwaster

I noticed something just now building a launcher. If I take the radial chute, make it the next size and apply settings, it doesn't keep them. Increasing the symmetry or cloning the changed ones also does not keep the size settings. The case size stays bigger but I have to go to groups, click on each one individually and apply settings.

Is this a bug or working as intended?

I'm not really sure what you mean here.

After installing RealChute for the first time, I see no actions in the Action Group window for a chute added to my ship. The chute is listed, but no e.g. "Arm" action. And probably related to this, I see no way to open the Parachute Editor window. Clicking the chute name in the Action Group window does nothing.

I've tried this on a new Sandbox game with no luck, as well as an existing save. What did I do wrong?

RealChute v1.2.4 (never before installed)

KSP v0.24.0 (is 0.24.2 required?)

Thanks. Happy to post logs if it's not something obvious.

Yes – KSP 0.24.2 has a new feature that RealChute 1.2.4 uses (procedural cost). Not having that feature is probably causing the RC plugin to crash.

It's not crashing. If people would listen to the CompatibiltyChecker warning, they'd notice RealChute is throwing out an error. When it does, RealChute does not load at all.

Two things: if this is for SRBs then you're landing them after they're spent right? Did you select the option to calculate with dry mass?

second: when putting multiple chutes on a part, you have to tell it how many chutes to use for its calculations. There's a place to enter that.

edit: third: you don't have the entire ship attached when configuring SRB chutes right? That will throw off calc.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, I do think it was set to dry mass but the I didn't set how many chutes there were and it seemed to be taking into account the entire ship mass.

many thanks Starwaster, stumped by my own stupidity and laziness for not reading all the settings properly :blush:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, I do think it was set to dry mass but the I didn't set how many chutes there were and it seemed to be taking into account the entire ship mass.

many thanks Starwaster, stumped by my own stupidity and laziness for not reading all the settings properly :blush:

It will take into account the whole ship mass. If you want to only take into account a part of the ship, detach the rest of the ship and apply, else, enter the mass manually.

It will take into account the whole ship mass. If you want to only take into account a part of the ship, detach the rest of the ship and apply, else, enter the mass manually.

This is another area where presets come in handy and personally I feel like I don't make use of it as often as I should so likely other people aren't either. If there's a particular SRB that you (anyone) use frequently then it's a good idea to create just that in the VAB, set up a chute for it and then save it to presets. You can name it something like 'Medium SRB Chute' or whatever.

OK I am having an issue where my parachutes are not activating at all. I also do not get an option to set them up in the action groups or any other fields to use them in the game. So far I have lost 2 or 3 ships due to this bug and I am not sure how to fix it. I noticed that there was a difference with the Module Manager dll files that were current in other mods and the one in this mod. Help please kind sirs! Here is my log file.

Wrong file...my bad.

Edited by reschke
wrong linked file.

for me the chutes are free in career mode. Is this intentional (if so is there an easy way for me to edit the prices of the chutes?) or is my install bugging out on me?

Costs are handled procedurally. You are being assessed a cost for the chutes. It might not be reflected immediately (which is probably a bug in itself, whether KSP or RC I don't know) but it does happen.

OK I am having an issue where my parachutes are not activating at all. I also do not get an option to set them up in the action groups or any other fields to use them in the game. So far I have lost 2 or 3 ships due to this bug and I am not sure how to fix it. I noticed that there was a difference with the Module Manager dll files that were current in other mods and the one in this mod. Help please kind sirs! Here is my log file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vgqsfn2eu65b29/KSP.log?dl=0

Wrong log file.

To find your log file:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log
  • NOT ksp.log file. Especially not ever. :D

for me the chutes are free in career mode. Is this intentional (if so is there an easy way for me to edit the prices of the chutes?) or is my install bugging out on me?

No they arent, the cost is set through the module

Sorry about that. I meant to look in my X64 folder where it drops that file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xte6e9tk4gxgdd/output_log.txt?dl=0

You're running an outdated version of KSP, go to 0.24.2. At least half of your mods are crashing in the log because of that. Also you're running the game form the desktop, don't do that. Run it from a subfolder of C:/ that is NOT Program Files, ideally C:/Games

You're running an outdated version of KSP, go to 0.24.2. At least half of your mods are crashing in the log because of that. Also you're running the game form the desktop, don't do that. Run it from a subfolder of C:/ that is NOT Program Files, ideally C:/Games

Already changed the location but had no idea that my version wasn't 24.2 until now since I used the patcher to update it when the last update came out.

I'll give that a try thanks :)

really awesome mod, I tried the spaceplane chutes today and it's just an amazing addition to have these chutes deploy on landing

This is another area where presets come in handy and personally I feel like I don't make use of it as often as I should so likely other people aren't either. If there's a particular SRB that you (anyone) use frequently then it's a good idea to create just that in the VAB, set up a chute for it and then save it to presets. You can name it something like 'Medium SRB Chute' or whatever.

That's a good idea Starwaster, the refund mods mean that I have chutes all over the place so that will be a time saver.

Is there any way to make sure parachutes in symmetry deploy together? I built a plane and I will post a pic below, but when I land the way the parachutes deploy unevenly it pulled me into a backward flat spin. I thought it was because I dipped the wings a bit to adjust my final approach (putting on chute at a lower altitude than the other), so I moved them closer together on the sides of the tail, it still happened even though I was fairly level, though the pulling effects were reduced of course. So finally I took the obvious solution and just used one radial on the center tail, that worked perfectly.

While that does work, it doesn't look as good as the 4 chutes dragging behind it. Yeah, function is more important of course, but it would be nice if I could make sure they all deployed at the same time.

w47DRh4.png

Is there any way to make sure parachutes in symmetry deploy together? I built a plane and I will post a pic below, but when I land the way the parachutes deploy unevenly it pulled me into a backward flat spin. I thought it was because I dipped the wings a bit to adjust my final approach (putting on chute at a lower altitude than the other), so I moved them closer together on the sides of the tail, it still happened even though I was fairly level, though the pulling effects were reduced of course. So finally I took the obvious solution and just used one radial on the center tail, that worked perfectly.

While that does work, it doesn't look as good as the 4 chutes dragging behind it. Yeah, function is more important of course, but it would be nice if I could make sure they all deployed at the same time.

http://i.imgur.com/w47DRh4.png

That because you're deploying before you touch the ground. Just set the option to deploy on ground contact to on and let the mod do it for you. You're not gonna flat spin if your wheels are on the ground and it deploys.

That because you're deploying before you touch the ground. Just set the option to deploy on ground contact to on and let the mod do it for you. You're not gonna flat spin if your wheels are on the ground and it deploys.

Oh, well it was deploying for me, but it was deploying at an altitude of 10m. Though, I can't think of a plane that deploys prior to touchdown so that's probably why.

Oh, well it was deploying for me, but it was deploying at an altitude of 10m. Though, I can't think of a plane that deploys prior to touchdown so that's probably why.

Because you activated them. Do not activate them. The mod does it:p Just land as if you had no parachutes. Don't stage, nothing. Just land.

Because you activated them. Do not activate them. The mod does it:p Just land as if you had no parachutes. Don't stage, nothing. Just land.

Yeah, figured that out. Sadly it didn't help, instead of spinning in the air, I just spun around on the runway with disastrous results. I don't think the 4 chute option is going to work. Not the end of the world, just would have been nice.

Edited by Alshain

Yeah, figured that out. Sadly it didn't help, instead of spinning in the air, I just spun around on the runway with disastrous results. I don't think the 4 chute option is going to work. Not the end of the world, just would have been nice.

Then you are simply noticing the random deployment times. Parachutes will individually deploy at worst one second after they are actually activated, the exact time is a random value determined each time the chute is generated, which reflects reality as in things are never quite simultaneous. That said, if it actually causes a problem, that probably highlights a balancing issue. To 'fix' it, you can either augment the deployment times to smooth it out, make the chutes more on par with the CoM, or augment your control authority.

But yeah, the non-simultaneity is intended and isnt going away.

Then you are simply noticing the random deployment times. Parachutes will individually deploy at worst one second after they are actually activated, the exact time is a random value determined each time the chute is generated, which reflects reality as in things are never quite simultaneous. That said, if it actually causes a problem, that probably highlights a balancing issue. To 'fix' it, you can either augment the deployment times to smooth it out, make the chutes more on par with the CoM, or augment your control authority.

But yeah, the non-simultaneity is intended and isnt going away.

Well, the good news is I think I figured it out. If I stage them myself rather than letting the mod do it for me, it works better. They deploy almost the same time.

Hi Chris,

is there a special trick to repackage the chutes? I don't get a "repackaging" Button if i got close to to the "used" Chute with a kerbal, only a "deploy" or "arm" button.

The chute itself show the "used" Texture and it also didn't deploy in this state. And it says it have 5 spares left.

My Internetconnection makes trouble ATM, so i can't upload anything.

SovietPack_RealChute_MM.cfg

@PART[LOK_Parachute]:FOR[RealChute]

name = RealChuteModule[something needs to be deleted]

So, the LOK parachute didn't work.

Will fix with the next update.

Hi Chris,

is there a special trick to repackage the chutes? I don't get a "repackaging" Button if i got close to to the "used" Chute with a kerbal, only a "deploy" or "arm" button.

The chute itself show the "used" Texture and it also didn't deploy in this state. And it says it have 5 spares left.

My Internetconnection makes trouble ATM, so i can't upload anything.

Yeah, that is probably because you quicksaved/quickloaded or resumed the saved game between the deployment and the packaging. Kinda bugged on that point.

Yeah, that is probably because you quicksaved/quickloaded or resumed the saved game between the deployment and the packaging. Kinda bugged on that point.

Exacly this i did. Is there a way to work around it with still using the safe feature?