[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

3 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

You parachutes should be shielded by a pod in a reentry scenario.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand you.

I place the parachutes on the nose of the pod for early flights but then move to radially positioned chutes to accommodate the docking ports, they would sometimes overheat especially if I'm not doing a ballistic reentry.

4 hours ago, Speedster159 said:

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand you.

I place the parachutes on the nose of the pod for early flights but then move to radially positioned chutes to accommodate the docking ports, they would sometimes overheat especially if I'm not doing a ballistic reentry.

That is what stack chutes are for, radial chutes are basically guaranteed not to be shielded.

19 minutes ago, Speedster159 said:

Stack chutes don't really fit into the design of the craft.

Then you will have to go into some MM code and change the maxTemp and other thermal properties to be able to survive extreme temperatures, or disable some heating options through the debug menu, I do this sometimes for testing purposes (best to just be testing one thing in a complex design at a time).

-Added a right click menu to modify the size of the parachute case if the action groups are not available yet

Just so I get that right, until action groups are available, I am - by fully intentional design - unable to modify any and all chute parameters except case size? (...and except deployment behavior, which I can at least modify in flight?)

And I'm curious as to the rationale behind the peculiar action group access method. What makes the usual approach of adding an "open GUI" button to the right-click menu (like the "toggle Info" button) so undesirable?

Edited by MaxRebo

4 hours ago, fr33soul said:

no i mean the cone chute :P

Chute and canopy is the same thing.  Perhaps you meant the case?? Even so that's still excessive; 2500 is too high.  Just because Squad did it to their parts doesn't mean it's a good idea. 

9 hours ago, fr33soul said:

no i mean the cone chute :P

See what Starwaster said.

8 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

Just so I get that right, until action groups are available, I am - by fully intentional design - unable to modify any and all chute parameters except case size? (...and except deployment behavior, which I can at least modify in flight?)

And I'm curious as to the rationale behind the peculiar action group access method. What makes the usual approach of adding an "open GUI" button to the right-click menu (like the "toggle Info" button) so undesirable?

Yep, because Squad made the access to the action group window completely unavailable unless it's bought. That window brought the access to select individual parts one at a time, left a big spot where to put the UI, and allowed precise control of which part was selected/modified with highlight and overlay. Moving it to another window is a lot of work, and I sure as hell wasn't going to do that while working on RealChute 2. I'm considering ways to bypass this, but you'll have to deal with it for now.

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Chute and canopy is the same thing.  Perhaps you meant the case?? Even so that's still excessive; 2500 is too high.  Just because Squad did it to their parts doesn't mean it's a good idea. 

People used to craft with standard parachute that has 2500 tolerance, however even 2000 tolerance is too low maybe 2250 is the best compromise ;)

9 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Yep, because Squad made the access to the action group window completely unavailable unless it's bought. That window brought the access to select individual parts one at a time, left a big spot where to put the UI, and allowed precise control of which part was selected/modified with highlight and overlay. Moving it to another window is a lot of work, and I sure as hell wasn't going to do that while working on RealChute 2. I'm considering ways to bypass this, but you'll have to deal with it for now.

Well I'm dealing with it by using Action Groups Extended, which forces the action group window open without actually providing any action groups to set if they're unavailable. I was just curious if the current state of affairs was for technical reasons. Thanks for the response.

Edited by MaxRebo

16 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

Well I'm dealing with it by using Action Groups Extended, which forces the action group window open without actually providing any action groups to set if they're unavailable. I was just curious if the current state of affairs was for technical reasons. Thanks for the response.

I'll see if I can't force it to open as well, thanks.

19 hours ago, fr33soul said:

People used to craft with standard parachute that has 2500 tolerance, however even 2000 tolerance is too low maybe 2250 is the best compromise ;)

2000k is what I'd realistically expect before it started causing internal damage to the chutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Is realchutes 2 going to have smaller cases?  Just starting up an RP0 game and really wishing I had smaller cases to put on my sounding rockets, or to do stage recovery on boosters.  I love all the editor tweaks let you match the chute size to precisely what your budget and weight allow for, but the cases don't shrink even if you ask for a tiny chute.

Not sure it's true to call realchute stock compatible, when after real chute is installed, stock can't tell there is parachutes on a craft. Maybe this doesn't break anything vital in stock, but it messes with mods and will break any functionality related to parachutes in those mods.

1 hour ago, Miravlix said:

Not sure it's true to call realchute stock compatible, when after real chute is installed, stock can't tell there is parachutes on a craft. Maybe this doesn't break anything vital in stock, but it messes with mods and will break any functionality related to parachutes in those mods.

Chris never claimed it didn't do any of those things. Never claimed a level of compatibility that you (apparently?) think was claimed.

All talk of compatibility has been aimed at things such as meshes, parts and transforms. KSP version compatibility. Third party chute part compatibility. It was never ever claimed that stock code would be able to identify Real Chute parts as having parachutes. And it is up to third party plugins as to whether they will or will not update their code to recognize RC parts as being parachutes.

Take for example Deadly Reentry, back in the day when DRE had special chute handling code. Did Stupid Chris ever make representations that RC would be compatible with DRE's  chute handling? Whose responsibility was it to implement such compatibility? Chris or the modders responsible for DRE? Nathan and I had to do that and make sure it stayed up to date with any of RC's code changes.

If there is a third party plugin that you think RC is not properly compatible with then it's up to the modders in charge of those mods as to whether or not to do that.

16 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

When stock features get broken with just the mod installed and the mod creator doesn't even warn about it, it just seemed a bit iffy.

Then don't use it. Stick to stock. Or file a specific bug report with repro steps and logs.

Use the Github issues page to create a new issue: https://github.com/StupidChris/RealChute/issues

Do you know how to find your logs? If not, read the following.

Except this "issue" has been brought about well over 15 times now, both here and on github. My answer to this remains the same: This is in the works. A lot of features are coming with RealChute 2 and this is one of them. With how much work has been put into the new version, it's completely stupid and not worthwhile to put some updating work into RealChute 1.x builds unless to assure compatibility while RealChute 2 is being made. So be patient, or just stop using the mod, I'm certainly not forcing you to use it.

Hi. please can someone explain me what are the last two cells in chute editor?

its pre-deployment speed and deployment speed. What confuses me is units in seconds and pre filled ammounts of 2 and 6.

I'm new to this mod. I started it using it due to remotetech mod, because I didn't wan to estimate landing time on Kerbin having no connection to my probe. This mod allows me to deploy chutes even without signal, but on the other hand I'm bit confused of all those possible settings of chutes :) Is there some tutorial or something explaining how theese chutes work and how to set them optimally? I of coure watched some YT videos, but those are not much deep in describing this mods functionality

It's the animation time for each part. Pre-deployment counts from the parachute case opening until the parachute cord is stretched. Full deployment is from that point until the parachute fully opens itself.