[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

@stupid_chris I heard something a while back about integrating/updating the EVA Parachutes mod but haven't heard anything since... Apologies in advance if this has been answered in the past few pages, but I haven't really read far back... So yeah, I was just wondering if this is still happening or if it never was and I was dreaming or any information you have really. If you are redoing it or something, best of luck, it's by far one of my favorite mods and I know it's not working in the latest version so, yeah, good luck :)

8 hours ago, Galenmacil said:

While looking through the log file, I found this error:

Hide contents

ERR 16:29:29.507] [RealChute]: Encountered an error calculating atmospheric density with FAR. Using stock values.
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RealChute.RCUtils.get_DensityMethod () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RealChute.Extensions.CelestialBodyExtensions.GetDensityAtAlt (.CelestialBody body, Double alt, Double temperature) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Full log here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=67122759112295572494

That's quite literally intended. It just means you haven't installed FAR.

52 minutes ago, Espresso said:

@stupid_chris I heard something a while back about integrating/updating the EVA Parachutes mod but haven't heard anything since... Apologies in advance if this has been answered in the past few pages, but I haven't really read far back... So yeah, I was just wondering if this is still happening or if it never was and I was dreaming or any information you have really. If you are redoing it or something, best of luck, it's by far one of my favorite mods and I know it's not working in the latest version so, yeah, good luck :)

It is happening. When I get the time.

9 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

It is happening. When I get the time.

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate all your mods, and Realchute's one mod I can't play without :)

16 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

That's quite literally intended. It just means you haven't installed FAR.

The thing is, as shown in the full log, FAR is indeed installed. That is why I posted this in the first place...

Edited by Galenmacil

4 hours ago, Galenmacil said:

The thing is, as shown in the full log, FAR is indeed installed. That is why I posted this in the first place...

Yes, the thing shows in the full log for me every single load on my dev install without FAR. And that simply means you've installed FAR wrong.

4 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Thats very vague and I honestly dont know what you mean.

When I use the parachute docking port, it creates extreme drag. For one, it flips my rocket on takeoff, and when I re-enter, I slow down to 100 m/s by 23,000m.

4 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

When I use the parachute docking port, it creates extreme drag. For one, it flips my rocket on takeoff, and when I re-enter, I slow down to 100 m/s by 23,000m.

That doesn't sound like a Real Chute problem since none of the problems you mention involve deployment of the chute.

Also, Real Chute does not even come with any combo 'chute + docking port parts.

You should bring up the problem with the maker of those parts (which is, who exactly? Tantares? SDHI? Who?) and I suggest providing more information to them than you provided here, and by that I mean logs and a more detailed description of the problem so they can better determine if there is a problem with their parts, a compatibility issue between their parts and something else or improper use of the parts.

could we be able to re-scale the chutes to 3m? also, i havent been quite able to figure this out, but do larger chutes have higher max stats? (such as diametr, strength, and sutch?)

20 hours ago, toric5 said:

could we be able to re-scale the chutes to 3m? also, i havent been quite able to figure this out, but do larger chutes have higher max stats? (such as diametr, strength, and sutch?)

Make a Size node for it, and no.

Thanks for your work with this Mod Chris.

I'm currently running a version 1.0.4 just so that I can mod it with the realism overhaul and all associated mods. I'm having trouble finding version 1.3.2.3 of RealChute which, to the best of my knowledge, is the only version compatible with 1.0.4

Do you know where I can find this or a similar version which will work with 1.0.4?

Thanks,

Himself

So I have a weird problem with parachutes cutting midair automatically

Over land, the parachutes work perfectly. The chutes cut ONLY once I touch the ground. 

But over water, no matter what I do with the settings, the chutes cut mid air at around 30 to 50 metres, making my craft plummet and disintegrate into the water. 

Has anyone else experienced this? There are no null exceptions error messages or anything in the debug log. 

Here's my mod list:

Spoiler

000_Toolbar                         
[+] 000_USITools                        
[+] AJE                                 
[+] B9AnimationModules                  
[+] B9PartSwitch                        
[+] B9_Aerospace                        
[+] BodyLoader                          
[+] Chatterer                           
[+] CommunityResourcePack               
[+] ContractConfigurator                
[+] ContractPacks                       
[+] CrossFeedEnabler                    
[+] DecayingRTGs                        
[+] DistantObject                       
[+] DMagicOrbitalScience                
[+] DMagicScienceAnimate                
[+] DMagicUtilities                     
[+] EditorExtensionsRedux               
[+] EngineLight                         
[+] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements     
[+] FerramAerospaceResearch             
[+] Firespitter                         
[+] FShangarExtender                    
[+] FuelTanksPlus                       
[+] FuelWings                           
[+] InterstellarFuelSwitch              
[+] JSI                                 
[+] KAS                                 
[+] KerbalEngineer                      
[+] KerbalJointReinforcement            
[+] KerbalScienceFoundation             
[+] Kerbaltek                           
[+] KIS                                 
[+] Kopernicus                          
[+] KWRocketry                          
[+] MagicSmokeIndustries                
[+] ModularFlightIntegrator             
[+] ModularFuelTanks                    
[+] MyFlag                              
[+] NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator    
[+] NavyFish                            
[+] NearFutureConstruction              
[+] NearFutureElectrical                
[+] NearFutureProps                     
[+] NearFuturePropulsion                
[+] NearFutureSolar                     
[+] NearFutureSpacecraft                
[+] OPM                                 
[+] ProceduralDynamics                  
[+] ProceduralFairings                  
[+] ProceduralParts                     
[+] RealChute                           
[+] RealPlume                           
[+] RealPlume-Stock                     
[+] RemoteTech                          
[+] REPOSoftTech                        
[+] RLA_Stockalike                      
[+] RW Saturatable                      
[+] SCANsat                             
[+] scatterer                           
[+] ShipManifest                        
[+] Sigma                               
[+] SmokeScreen                         
[+] SolverEngines                       
[+] StageRecovery                       
[+] StationScience                      
[+] StockBugFixPlus                     
[+] StockVisualEnhancements             
[+] SurfaceExperimentPackage            
[+] Tantares                            
[+] TantaresLV                          
[+] TextureReplacer                     
[+] ThrottleControlledAvionics          
[+] ThunderAerospace                    
[+] Trajectories                        
[+] TriggerTech                         
[+] TweakScale                          
[+] UmbraSpaceIndustries                
[+] UniversalStorage                    
[+] VenStockRevamp                      
[+] [x] Science!                        

Edited by Insanitic

On 14/05/2016 at 9:17 PM, Galenmacil said:

FuelWings was causing that for me - I haven't dug into why or whether it's actually something quirky about FuelWings ( which is after all just a bunch of MM patches ) or MFT.

7 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

FuelWings was causing that for me - I haven't dug into why or whether it's actually something quirky about FuelWings ( which is after all just a bunch of MM patches ) or MFT.

I see... stupid_chris responded by saying that "FAR was not correctly installed" but I know that it is correctly installed... Thanks for sharing this information. :)

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

Think we'll have more reasonably priced realchutes in RSS anytime?  Spending $200,000 1960's dollars to put chutes a 2 ton spacecraft seems unreasonable.

The mention of 1960s dollars sounds like a Realism Overhaul issue. That's the only place I know of where KSP monies are converted to 1960 US monies.

Though I do wonder what you DO consider reasonable for spacecraft parachutes to cost...? The contracts for spaceship components back then were worth millions of dollars including chutes.

@Starwaster

Yes, sorry, I meant RO, not just RSS.

Well, I'm not expert, and not claiming to be, but considering you can purchase rocket engines for $500,000-$700,000 in that early time period, having chutes that cost millions, or even 100's of thousands is not sensible.  Just dropping that engine (1t.- 1.2t) to a survivable landing speed - never mind tank or other attachments, can be 20-30% of the engine cost, and while I understand that a space-rated chute is more costly than a paratroopers chute - it's not THAT much more expensive.

I think a more realistic tuning would change the following:

• Reduce per-sq m cost of parachute to 10% of what they are currently, or lower.
  • Remove silk as an option - nylon was a better, cheaper material by the end of WW2,
  • Increase case cost by a factor of x10 - reflecting that the cost of a space parachute is more in the fixed cost of deployment hardware and testing, rather than in the bulk size of the chute, particularly for non-terrestrial chutes.

@stupid_chris

Btw, I tried editting Materials\ParachuteMaterials.cfg to decrease the area cost, didn't seem to have any effect though in the editor.  Do I have to wipe out some sort of cache file?

Edited by Maxsimal

I managed to get a realchute mission calling for me to test a nose chute while splashed down on Kerbin.  The problem is once the craft is splashed down the chute will not deploy because it is splashed down.  

Anyone know a work around?

Edit: Never mind I unlocked the action groups and found the setting.

Edited by Smurfalot

Hi! There! Just to notified a lag : 

Without the mod I have vanilla parachutes. But when I get the mod, those dissapears and I haven't the mod except the GUI setting gauge in the "Space Center View". 

I also running my KSP in x64, maybe it's the cause of my problem, don't you think? :mellow:

Hi folks.

I'm sorry that I havent supplied a log at this stage, as I just want to ask a general question. I'm using stage recovery to recover spent stages so I fit chutes onto my booster stage. I have a rocket with 4 chutes, two on the booster and two on the payload. All 4 chutes are configured identically and armed at the same time. After I separate my stages, thechutes on my payload (active vessel) deploy, but the chutes on my free falling booster don't, even while the stage is still in render range. When not using realchute this generally works for me. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? 

2 hours ago, Chippy the Space Dog said:

Hi folks.

I'm sorry that I havent supplied a log at this stage, as I just want to ask a general question. I'm using stage recovery to recover spent stages so I fit chutes onto my booster stage. I have a rocket with 4 chutes, two on the booster and two on the payload. All 4 chutes are configured identically and armed at the same time. After I separate my stages, thechutes on my payload (active vessel) deploy, but the chutes on my free falling booster don't, even while the stage is still in render range. When not using realchute this generally works for me. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? 

If the 'must go down' option is enabled then those chutes won't deploy until they have negative vertical velocity. (down)

Also, Stage Recovery doesn't require the chutes to have been deployed or (at least last time I checked) to have even been armed. All it requires is that they are on the part(s) you want recovered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.