[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Minor update Real Chute 1.4.7.3

This update is to fix a bug where the advanced cross sectional filter of the inventory list stops updating inventory if a part is missing a field.

https://github.com/StupidChris/RealChute/tree/v1.4.7.3

The plugin itself has not changed at all, only four config files. If you know how and you prefer to, you can just download those four cfg files from the repository. (If you don't already know how to download individual files then please just download the update instead)

https://github.com/StupidChris/RealChute/tree/master/Output/GameData/RealChute/Parts

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I've raised an issue with the Restock team regarding Real Chutes.  Nertea advises that there will be a fix in the next Restock release.

@pigsarehairy The preliminary patch they offered didn't work for me and someone else is having similar problems in their game (phew...I thought it was just me).  The Restock team does have it on their list of bugs on GitHub.

More to come.

Edited by Brigadier

@Starwaster I could use some help figuring out what is wrong. So far I noticed that RealChute's MM patches for stock rely on specific model components as seen here https://github.com/StupidChris/RealChute/blob/v1.4.7.3/Output/GameData/RealChute/ModuleManager/Stock_RealChute_MM.cfg#L35.

This seemed like an easy fix (retarget the correct objects in the new models with MM, see https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/blob/master/Distribution/Restock/GameData/ReStock/Compatibility/RealChute.cfg for the draft patch). However it has been reported to me that this doesn't work. Do you have any insights?

6 hours ago, Nertea said:

@Starwaster I could use some help figuring out what is wrong. So far I noticed that RealChute's MM patches for stock rely on specific model components as seen here https://github.com/StupidChris/RealChute/blob/v1.4.7.3/Output/GameData/RealChute/ModuleManager/Stock_RealChute_MM.cfg#L35.

This seemed like an easy fix (retarget the correct objects in the new models with MM, see https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/blob/master/Distribution/Restock/GameData/ReStock/Compatibility/RealChute.cfg for the draft patch). However it has been reported to me that this doesn't work. Do you have any insights?

Not without knowing where it's failing. capName and parachuteName need to point to valid model transforms.  And of course, animation names to valid animations. Cursory inspection seems like it should be working since you're apparently using the same names in your RC patches as for your stock patches

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Not without knowing where it's failing. capName and parachuteName need to point to valid model transforms.  And of course, animation names to valid animations. Cursory inspection seems like it should be working since you're apparently using the same names in your RC patches as for your stock patches

Yep these are all set up to be right. 

Bunch of logfiles and info in this post:

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yep these are all set up to be right. 

Bunch of logfiles and info in this post:

Those files are mine and I'm happy to support any diagnostics you would like me to perform.  I watch this thread and PM me if you wish.

@Nertea @Brigadier

There's no problem here except maybe user error somewhere (sorry, gotta call it)

I personally installed ReStock along with the patch files and they work as is. I ran a comprehensive test of all ReStock'ed chute parts

Maybe the users installing the patch did so incorrectly. I didn't see a problem in those log files either (mainly concerned myself with the logs for #3). I stopped reading the log for Brigadier's test #4 because the test was irrelevant. ReStock was uninstalled for that test but run with the Real Chute compatibility patch file.... of course it was going to fail. It was patched with the transform names for ReStock's chute parts; most of those are actually the same except for the canopy. There was no way that was ever going to work.

Edited by Starwaster

12 hours ago, Horus said:

I'm testing RealChutes with ReStock mod. The MK16-XL chute seems to be creating a huge drag even being closed (not armed).

https://imgur.com/SeMD02u

It looks like the drag cube being used is for something other than the stowed cubes (just based on the numbers when I look at the part in flight with aero debugging on).

ReStock defines several drag cube sets in the part config; I assume to override whatever KSP is assigning. With the stock chutes, they just use the stowed cubes since Real Chute does not make use of them or touch them at all, so it's just defaulting to stowed all the time (PACKED) - but with ReStock installed (and adding DRAG_CUBE sets), in flight it ends up using something other than STOWED. The values don't really match the SEMIDEPLOYED or DEPLOYED sets but they are close to the ones for SEMIDEPLOYED

I don't know why it would matter that they are defined in the config but removing them solves the excessive drag problem.

@Nertea I suggest that in the RealChute compatibility patch you remove all DRAG_CUBE references and optionally ModuleDragModifier as well.... although thinking about it, Real Chute co-exists with that just fine in stock, so maybe you can dispense with deleting the modules. But on the other hand they are extraneous with RC installed. (RC doesn't bother removing them)

!DRAG_CUBE,*{}
  !MODULE[ModuleDragModifier],*{}

Seems like there might be something else going on... I added RealChute to my heavily modded install (but not with ReStock) and it looks like its using the deployed drag values prior to deployment. ie I cant get anywhere near orbit with RC installed my TWR climbs but my speed slows to a crawl.. take it out and everything works fine

17 minutes ago, Yaguara said:

Seems like there might be something else going on... I added RealChute to my heavily modded install (but not with ReStock) and it looks like its using the deployed drag values prior to deployment. ie I cant get anywhere near orbit with RC installed my TWR climbs but my speed slows to a crawl.. take it out and everything works fine

Did you try to put in the patch which was in the post right above yours?

36 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you try to put in the patch which was in the post right above yours?

Not following or maybe I'm not being clear. I'm NOT using ReStock so I dont have a compatibility patch for it to edit.

added it back in to retest. It seems its only happening with the Stock parachutes (radial or cones) the RealChute parts are fine.

attached output.log link

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03434821409430233884

Edited by Yaguara
More info

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

I suggest that in the RealChute compatibility patch you remove all DRAG_CUBE references and optionally ModuleDragModifier as well.... although thinking about it, Real Chute co-exists with that just fine in stock, so maybe you can dispense with deleting the modules. But on the other hand they are extraneous with RC installed. (RC doesn't bother removing them)

!DRAG_CUBE,*{}
  !MODULE[ModuleDragModifier],*{}

I inserted this at the top of the provisional Restock config file and MM produces a warning on the second line:

[WRN 2019-03-09 23:47:42.519] unrecognized trailer: ',*' on: [a]_myConfigs/RealChute Restock/!MODULE[ModuleDragModifier],*

Is this where it should have gone?  I don't know enough about MM syntax to understand the problem.  Why the first line works and the second doesn't is a mystery to me.

However, deorbiting a vessel from low Kerbin orbit produced the following KSP log (note the large number of RealChute exceptions starting at line 5205).  KSP 1.6.1, MM, RC and Restock/Restock+ with the provisional patch.

KSP Log

Also, when I click on "Toggle Info" from the flight scene's part context menu for a Mk 16 chute, the resulting Chute Info Window is squeezed into the upper corner of the screen, cannot be moved or expanded, and is basically unusable since the embedded list box is constrained to <1 full line.  I don't know if this is normal behaviour since I haven't used this feature before.

Edited by Brigadier

23 hours ago, Starwaster said:

There's no problem here except maybe user error somewhere (sorry, gotta call it)

Yeah, no worries.  It wouldn't be the first time I've been known to make mistakes :0.0:.  I've been installing Restock via CKAN and I don't believe that's the problem since others have done so successfully.

50 minutes ago, Yaguara said:

Not following or maybe I'm not being clear. I'm NOT using ReStock so I dont have a compatibility patch for it to edit.

added it back in to retest. It seems its only happening with the Stock parachutes (radial or cones) the RealChute parts are fine.

attached output.log link

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03434821409430233884

Alt-F12 -> Physics -> Aero -> enable debug menu in part action window (forget exactly what the option says there)

Then right click the part that is giving you trouble and make a screenshot.  Do that for each part giving you trouble and put them on Imgur  and paste the link here

5 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I inserted this at the top of the provisional Restock config file and MM produces a warning on the second line:

Is this where it should have gone?  I don't know enough about MM syntax to understand the problem.  Why the first line works and the second doesn't is a mystery to me.

However, deorbiting a vessel from low Kerbin orbit produced the following KSP log (note the large number of RealChute exceptions starting at line 5205).  KSP 1.6.1, MM, RC and Restock/Restock+ with the provisional patch.

KSP Log

Also, when I click on "Toggle Info" from the flight scene's part context menu for a Mk 16 chute, the resulting Chute Info Window is squeezed into the upper corner of the screen, cannot be moved or expanded, and is basically unusable since the embedded list box is constrained to <1 full line.  I don't know if this is normal behaviour since I haven't used this feature before.

No, it goes in the body of each @PART section because it is performing those operations on the part. (removing DRAG_CUBE from each part and MODULE from each part)

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

No, it goes in the body of each @PART section because it is performing those operations on the part. (removing DRAG_CUBE from each part and MODULE from each part)

<Sigh> I suspected I was getting that wrong...thanks, I'll give it a try.

Edit:  I corrected the patch and in a brand new sandbox game (Restock v0.1.1, RC v1.4.7.3, MM v4.0.2, KSP v1.6.1), the chutes work as expected on a basic craft.   The RC UI in the VAB is visible and the Chute Info Window is fully visible.  My problem seems to be resolved at this level.  I will scale it up to my fully modded career save.

Edit 2:  Successfully tested in a new, fully modded sandbox game.

Initially, my career game ended up spamming so many RC exceptions that it bogged the game down in the VAB when I edited an existing craft.  However, replacing each chute with the same part stopped the spam.

Many thanks to @Starwasterand @Nerteafor their guidance, perseverance and all the wonderful work they do.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.:cool:

Edited by Brigadier
Added more test results

thanks for fast reply and sorry if this was asked already I did checked FAQ but was lazy to search this 180 page treed. 

I think I have my first personal kerbal mods pack complete now thanks to this mod. Only thing I noticed that I find ridiculous in moded  kerbal world that many mods add button directly in game witch looks like part of the game controls but in reality is only "cheat" button to change mods advanced settings and variables used in calculation and is totally not needed to be there. Should be hidden in  options only. It really itches my brain. Its like having big  button all time in  battlefield or doom game where you can configure guns damage or health to 1000000. 

Thanks again for the mod tho. 

5 hours ago, Kozzy said:

does this mod affect also normal base chutes or only ones added by this mod ? 

I wonder if I have to disable somehow stock chutes

There are very few chutes anymore that aren't using this mod, or because they use the stock chute system, get converted by this mod.

20 hours ago, Taki117 said:

There are very few chutes anymore that aren't using this mod, or because they use the stock chute system, get converted by this mod.

This mod only coverts stock parts. It does not automagically convert any part using the stock ModuleParachute module.