[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

The warning is a standardized thing across mods. Modders are then free to leave the warning as is that it may be broken, or they may decide to intentionally disable parts of the mod should it be flagged as on a new version. I prefer disabling everything, because if something is seriously wrong, you'll know too late. If the whole mod is disabled, and parachutes are hidden away so that you can't use them, you won't have a chance to get there.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:41 PM, stupid_chris said:

The warning is a standardized thing across mods. Modders are then free to leave the warning as is that it may be broken, or they may decide to intentionally disable parts of the mod should it be flagged as on a new version. I prefer disabling everything, because if something is seriously wrong, you'll know too late. If the whole mod is disabled, and parachutes are hidden away so that you can't use them, you won't have a chance to get there.

First of all, I appreciate very much the enjoyment this mod has given me over the years.

Also, yes, the mod gives a warning signal that it's for an earlier version of the game. And thanks for explaining why we are seeing what we are seeing.

But sometimes mods continue to work fine in new versions. It all depends on what changed and what didn't change. I don't mind that you decided to disable everything. That's your choice. But I think what was happening here is just that people were reporting whether the 1.10.1 version worked with 1.11 or not. Please don't take it as a complaint or a bugfix request. More just as chatter among the users letting each other know what they have discovered.

13 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

First of all, I appreciate very much the enjoyment this mod has given me over the years.

Also, yes, the mod gives a warning signal that it's for an earlier version of the game. And thanks for explaining why we are seeing what we are seeing.

But sometimes mods continue to work fine in new versions. It all depends on what changed and what didn't change. I don't mind that you decided to disable everything. That's your choice. But I think what was happening here is just that people were reporting whether the 1.10.1 version worked with 1.11 or not. Please don't take it as a complaint or a bugfix request. More just as chatter among the users letting each other know what they have discovered.

The warning reads that the mod may not work or be disabled.
In my case, it is always disabled completely on new version. It's not that it doesn't work, it's that it won't work, because it's designed to shut itself off.

If you see that warning pop off and the mod suddenly appears to be not present at all, that's a pretty good indication that you should wait for an update.

Edited by stupid_chris

18 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

The warning reads that the mod may not work or be disabled.
In my case, it is always disabled completely on new version. It's not that it doesn't work, it's that it won't work, because it's designed to shut itself off.

If you see that warning pop off and the mod suddenly appears to be not present at all, that's a pretty good indication that you should wait for an update.

won't work , i have tested it in a mk1 chute , there is no real chute module , the chute won't budge and have a staging...

@tonimark, while it is not against the rules to request an update, so long as it is polite and non repetitive, please remember our amazing mod making community have real life responsibilities and pressures to deal with while also creating and maintaining all the great free content they make for KSP. Please be patient.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:21 PM, stupid_chris said:

When I have the time.

Hey Chris. Just wanted you to know that you and your mods are awesome!

Take as long as you need. I consider RC one of my absolute essential mods, and frankly, 1.11 without it and a couple other essentials, is still enjoyable, but barely. One really does get addicted to the good stuff:P

People ask you about updates because they appreciate the value of your mod on their playthroughs. And because they miss your mod until it's updated, they're anxious for it. Yours is the kind of mod so good for KSP that people (me included) literally can't wait to get it as soon as a shiny new version comes out. And many, if not most people don't know how to deal with that anxiety. So they vent it by asking "Is it ready yet?" or "When is it coming?". Which can sound like they're putting pressure on you to work more/faster, but, if I understand anything about psych, mostly isn't the case. It's like a kid in the car going to an amusement park and asking "Are we there yet?" or "How long 'till we get there?"; it's excitement for something cool, and the anxiety from the fact it's coming but not "here" yet.

Anyways, you do what you gotta do. It will be ready when it's ready, and I'll be patiently (albeit anxiously :sticktongue:) waiting for it.
Thanks once again for your awesome mods and your awesome presence among us! Cheers! :)

4 hours ago, AlmightyR said:

Hey Chris. Just wanted you to know that you and your mods are awesome!

Take as long as you need. I consider RC one of my absolute essential mods, and frankly, 1.11 without it and a couple other essentials, is still enjoyable, but barely. One really does get addicted to the good stuff:P

People ask you about updates because they appreciate the value of your mod on their playthroughs. And because they miss your mod until it's updated, they're anxious for it. Yours is the kind of mod so good for KSP that people (me included) literally can't wait to get it as soon as a shiny new version comes out. And many, if not most people don't know how to deal with that anxiety. So they vent it by asking "Is it ready yet?" or "When is it coming?". Which can sound like they're putting pressure on you to work more/faster, but, if I understand anything about psych, mostly isn't the case. It's like a kid in the car going to an amusement park and asking "Are we there yet?" or "How long 'till we get there?"; it's excitement for something cool, and the anxiety from the fact it's coming but not "here" yet.

Anyways, you do what you gotta do. It will be ready when it's ready, and I'll be patiently (albeit anxiously :sticktongue:) waiting for it.
Thanks once again for your awesome mods and your awesome presence among us! Cheers! :)

I've been at this for nearly 8 years now, so it's not my first rodeo. What was rather unusual this time is that I also got harassed on my personal Discord server dedicated to my WIP game. Kinda shortens the fuse.

The tl;dr is that I now code for work. While I love my job and what I do, I've also just finished my penultimate Uni semester, and I'm on Holidays vacation, so I'd much rather avoid programming while it lasts and I'll get back to it after. 

6 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

The tl;dr is that I now code for work

As an old fart who has done that for upwards of 20 years now, I can relate very well to the challenges of coding all day and then trying to do "fun" stuff that also involves coding. Sure, it's different, but it's also the same part of your exhausted brain that you're trying to use, and it can get very tiresome very quickly. Everyone is different and deals with this differently, but please do keep an eye on your own well-being. KSP is awesome, and I'm (stupidly?) starting to dip my toe in the modding pool, too ... but there's a lot of life/mental health balancing you gotta do to avoid burnout.

I'm just wondering, has anyone redone this mod? I can't download it for some reason. Every time I try, the download fails. Is there also another possible download link that I could use?

And, under the same token, is there any possible ETA on when RealChute 2 will be rolled out?

Edited by NewsDude

manually downloading and manually installing. I was finally able to download it earlier today, it just took awhile. For some reason, the download kept pausing and restarting.

Anyway, once I installed it and ran KSP, I discovered that the current RealChute version isn't compatible with the latest update (1.11.0).

20 hours ago, NewsDude said:

I'm just wondering, has anyone redone this mod? I can't download it for some reason. Every time I try, the download fails. Is there also another possible download link that I could use?

Read the last page.

20 hours ago, NewsDude said:

And, under the same token, is there any possible ETA on when RealChute 2 will be rolled out?

There is no ETA

1 hour ago, Night Raider Xd said:

so how do you open the editor window cause i have tried every thing and nothing works does any one know how to open it

If it has not changed then you go to the action group menu and then click on the parachute. 

9 hours ago, dave1904 said:

If it has not changed then you go to the action group menu and then click on the parachute. 

it does not work in KSP 1.11 however, and won't until an update is published.  See above for that conversation.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

How to I get my stock chutes back in 1.11...

I doubt you can do that on existing vessels, but if you remove RealChute the game should (in theory) you'll be able to design ships with stock chutes and your kerbals will obtain those too. However, your existing designs may become unavailable (because some of the parts come from a removed mod). You may, of course, roll back the game to 1.10, replace all RealChutes with stock chutes, save, then download 1.11 and continue playing. Or you can just wait for @stupid_chris to update this mod whenever he has time for that.

The update for KSP 1.11 is released

Changelog:

January 21st, 2021
v1.4.8.2
-Updated version filter to not include versions prior to 1.11, recompiled as such

January 18th, 2021
v1.4.8.1
-Recompiled for KSP 1.11

Cheers all, hope everyone had good holidays :)

Edited by stupid_chris