[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I'll be looking forward to that update for sure. :) In the meantime, how do we make those calculations by hand?

Straight up, the equation is this:

d = √(8 * m * g / (Pi * v² * Cd * 1.223 * p * c))

where:

d is the diameter each parachute you will use will need to be (m)

m is the total mass of your craft (kg)

g is the gravitational acceleration of the planet (m/s²)

v² is your wanted landing speed squared (m/s)

Cd is the drag coefficient of the material you are using

p is atmospheric pressure where you are landing (atm)

c is the number of chutes you will be using

So for example, landing a 4.5t mk1-2 pod with a parachute at 6m/s on Kerbin with three nylon parachutes would give this:

d = √(8 * 4500 * 9.81 / (Pi * 6² * 1 * 1.223 * 1 * 3)) ~ 29.1m That would mean each parachute would have a diameter of about 30m :)

Now, very short (and stupid) update, v0.3.3.2 is up

January 9th 2014
v0.3.3.2
*Hotfix*
-Fixed the stack main chutes animation problem

That's all, really.

Cheers!

Got 2 game crashed when landing right when 1,25 stack must've been fully deployed. I was running on 4x physical warp. On 3rd attempt (no warp) it went fine. Can anybody else test that part in such conditions?

Same thing happened when used warp near ground to speed up last part of landing. End of logfile:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 963216B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: VertexData
Allocation happend at: Line:110 in
Memory overview

[ ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD ] used: 1221108B | peak: 0B | reserved: 65536B

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 723592640B | peak: 0B | reserved: 745480718B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 480962941B | peak: 0B | reserved: 552250080B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 71648B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 7300B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 72B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B
Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 963216B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: VertexData
Allocation happend at: Line:110 in
Memory overview

[ ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD ] used: 1221108B | peak: 0B | reserved: 65536B

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 723592640B | peak: 0B | reserved: 745480718B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 480962941B | peak: 0B | reserved: 552250080B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 71648B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 7300B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 72B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B

(Filename: Line: 895)

allocation 0x00000000 already registered @ :l297 size 1197; now calling from :l167 size 963200?

(Filename: Line: 1189)

d3d: failed to create vertex buffer of size 963200 [out of memory]
Crash!!!
allocation 0x00000000 already registered @ :l297 size 1197; now calling from :l167 size 963200?

(Filename: Line: 1189)

d3d: failed to create vertex buffer of size 963200 [out of memory]
ERROR: Error while initializing dbghelp.dll, GetLastError: 'ÞÿõрðцøѠуÑÂÿõшýþ ÷ðòõршõýð.' (Address: 00000000)

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

ERROR: Error while initializing dbghelp.dll, GetLastError: 'ÞÿõрðцøѠуÑÂÿõшýþ ÷ðòõршõýð.' (Address: 00000000)

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! ****

Update: Nevermind, solved by disabling Chatterer mod.

Edited by Mystique

"DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!"

It was a memory crash anyway.

And quick note: do not use RealChute under high physical warps values. If you do, don't complain to me that your computer borked the calculations and broke your craft.

And quick note: do not use RealChute under high physical warps values. If you do, don't complain to me that your computer borked the calculations and broke your craft.

As someone who had a little incident with a lander on Eve last night (thankfully unmanned), I'd certainly second that warning.

On a different note, the mod is excellent (especially the drag chutes), though a little cosmetic issue I've been seeing is that when triggering the combined chute cones at an altitude such that just the main chutes (for example, in an abort sequence very early in the flight) deploy, the cover isn't removed, with the lines to the chutes instead just clipping through it.

As someone who had a little incident with a lander on Eve last night (thankfully unmanned), I'd certainly second that warning.

On a different note, the mod is excellent (especially the drag chutes), though a little cosmetic issue I've been seeing is that when triggering the combined chute cones at an altitude such that just the main chutes (for example, in an abort sequence very early in the flight) deploy, the cover isn't removed, with the lines to the chutes instead just clipping through it.

Yeah, there ain't really something I can do about that. Technically I could, but I would invert the problem and create issues in different situations.

Heyo, been having some problems lately trying to get this to work, Basically all the parts seem to be in existence and in the right parts of the tech tree, but none of them actually appear in the staging if I place them on a craft, any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Heyo, been having some problems lately trying to get this to work, Basically all the parts seem to be in existence and in the right parts of the tech tree, but none of them actually appear in the staging if I place them on a craft, any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Could you send me your output_log.txt and KSP log? I suspect this is a bad install.

Could you send me your output_log.txt and KSP log? I suspect this is a bad install.

Here you go, there were 2 output.logs (one from the launcher files and one from the main files) So I uploaded them both. Not sure if its the same issue, but I haven't been able to get treeloader to work lately either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7appfz7ygran811/KSP.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zwd92hkw86jhr6/output_log1.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqzyd4qprvkx37d/output_log.txt

Yeah, there ain't really something I can do about that. Technically I could, but I would invert the problem and create issues in different situations.

Would a possible workaround be, in that circumstance, to have the drogues deploy and cut at the same time, immediately before the mains?

Here you go, there were 2 output.logs (one from the launcher files and one from the main files) So I uploaded them both. Not sure if its the same issue, but I haven't been able to get treeloader to work lately either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7appfz7ygran811/KSP.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zwd92hkw86jhr6/output_log1.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqzyd4qprvkx37d/output_log.txt

There's obviously a problem with your game. Assemblies are not loading properly when your game is launched. I can't tell what it is, but given the amount of plugins you have, it could be any of them. Make sure everything is updated, try stripping your game from any plugins, try and see if your log is still spammed with errors in flight mode, and try again.

Would a possible workaround be, in that circumstance, to have the drogues deploy and cut at the same time, immediately before the mains?

The game nor the plugin doesn't know if a cap is above another, or which chute should go first, or how they deploy. It only knows when to active and deactivate what. Telling it to do that would have bad consequences in a case when it should not do that. hence the "Technically I could, but I would invert the problem and create issues in different situations." There's no good solution here, because any solution will create a problem elsewhere.

Edited by stupid_chris

I am considering trying this mod but I have one small question. Can we not use the parts in the mod and stick to stock parachutes but with the functionality of the parts in this mod? So, I don't need a drag chute or anything, just the basic 3 chutes in stock but with all the features like opening based on dynamic pressure, gradual deployment etc.

Yes bullet. This includes modulemanager configs to change stock parachutes in its download. You'd just have to keep the dll and the stock module manager config and delete the other parts this includes.

So just to clarify, I do the regular RealChute install, remove the parts folder, then install the module manager config files?

Drag chutes are just parachutes that have low drag, that deploy low, and that have a high autocut speed. So you can get drag chutes with stock parts by using the stock ModuleManager file and by using the tweakables to modify one of the parachutes :)

EDIT:

So just to clarify, I do the regular RealChute install, remove the parts folder, then install the module manager config files?

Only remove the Parts folder if you want to delete the included parts.

Straight up, the equation is this:

d = √(8 * m * g / (Pi * v² * Cd * 1.223 * p * c))

where:

d is the diameter each parachute you will use will need to be (m)

m is the total mass of your craft (kg)

g is the gravitational acceleration of the planet (m/s²)

v² is your wanted landing speed squared (m/s)

Cd is the drag coefficient of the material you are using

p is atmospheric pressure where you are landing (atm)

c is the number of chutes you will be using

So for example, landing a 4.5t mk1-2 pod with a parachute at 6m/s on Kerbin with three nylon parachutes would give this:

d = √(8 * 4500 * 9.81 / (Pi * 6² * 1 * 1.223 * 1 * 3)) ~ 29.1m That would mean each parachute would have a diameter of about 30m :)

Thank you! :)

Just wanted to say that I'm really loving this mod. It's made base deployment's so much easier on other parts of Kerbal, Duna, and Eve. Combined drogue and regular chutes keep the part count down and the ability to control deployment lets me get things to the ground without worrying about chute deployment ripping them to pieces. Thanks for the hard work on the mod.

"DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!"

It was a memory crash anyway.

First of all, thank you for a nice mod. On the down side, this crash is definitely NOT caused by timewarp. I am running some mods but current typical memory footprints is 2-2.5G, and the game has not crashed once out-of-memory. I currently have a lander coming from Dres at 4+Km/s, so I tried five times in a row to land it safely: it survives reentry, but the the game always crashes exactly at the time of main chute deployment (RealChute Radial Main, stock parameters; pre-deployment works fine), with or without time warp. Please take a look into this. Jebediah, needs your help to survive!

"DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCrash!!!"

Has anybody else encountered the issue where a ship with a realchute deployed and under 4x time acceleration will shake and spin rapidly. As soon as you drop out of physical time warp, everything is fine. I thought it was just graphical but today it actually ripped my parachute off a 100m above the surface. I've got FAR installed so not sure if that's part of it or not.

I drop out of warp for the deployment. And it also still states in the original mod post that they hold on during 4x warp while deploying so maybe there should be a disclaimer on the front page for now until its resolved.

Oh it does resist to deployment. But there could be issues after. That's the problem, and it won't be resolved, because that is the very nature of physical time warp: Cut down physics calculations and bork them to get a /close/ estimation. It's not in my control, time warp makes my plugin calculate things weird.

Also folks, I have a teaser for you guys!

wQz2vD3.png

Cheers!

Edited by stupid_chris

Does that mean we can have a single part for all chutes? So just 0.625, 1.25, 2.5 and 3.75 then editing them to our liking with the UI? Would be pretty nice, I was about to suggest a "lite" version where it uses the stock chute models (so existing ships are upgraded) and have some tweak able options in them. I try to avoid part mods since I don't really like going through pages of parts.

Does that mean we can have a single part for all chutes? So just 0.625, 1.25, 2.5 and 3.75 then editing them to our liking with the UI? Would be pretty nice, I was about to suggest a "lite" version where it uses the stock chute models (so existing ships are upgraded) and have some tweak able options in them. I try to avoid part mods since I don't really like going through pages of parts.

I'll have to see just what flexibility I have with parts, but yes, the part count will drop a lot.

when i try to open parachute calculator it says it isn't a proper win32 application :/

I believe the application was exported for 64bit, so if you are operating on a 32bit system, it might not work. But as you can see above your post, the calculator will soon be in game so.

Edited by stupid_chris