[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

when i try to open parachute calculator it says it isn't a proper win32 application :/

cziken20, this might help you out in the meantime:

Straight up, the equation is this:

d = √(8 * m * g / (Pi * v² * Cd * 1.223 * p * c))

where:

d is the diameter each parachute you will use will need to be (m)

m is the total mass of your craft (kg)

g is the gravitational acceleration of the planet (m/s²)

v² is your wanted landing speed squared (m/s)

Cd is the drag coefficient of the material you are using

p is atmospheric pressure where you are landing (atm)

c is the number of chutes you will be using

So for example, landing a 4.5t mk1-2 pod with a parachute at 6m/s on Kerbin with three nylon parachutes would give this:

d = √(8 * 4500 * 9.81 / (Pi * 6² * 1 * 1.223 * 1 * 3)) ~ 29.1m That would mean each parachute would have a diameter of about 30m :)

Wait, wait,wait... so i will be abler to create my own part???? Like a plastic bag????? OMG

Not really, the material only defines proprieties. You'll be able to do what you currently do with tweakables, but with more flexibility, and with functions of the current calculator.

Not really, the material only defines proprieties. You'll be able to do what you currently do with tweakables, but with more flexibility, and with functions of the current calculator.

IT DOES NOT MATTER! I want to fly with a plastic bag!

Is there any way to cut chutes as part of staging? I'm trying to make a versatile lander for all the atmospheric bodies, but since they each have different atmospheres, neither pressure nor altitude ends up being a good indicator for when to cut and decouple my drogues. I suppose I could do action groups, but staging would be vastly more convenient (because when I cut the chutes, I also decouple the heatshield that they are attached to).

Hopefully I didn't accidentally double post; I wrote something similar and tried to submit it without being logged in, but even after logging in it hasn't shown up.

Says you!

I am totally going to make a parachute material that models fishnet leggings so my Kerbals can parachute back to KSP in style.

Is there any way to cut chutes as part of staging? I'm trying to make a versatile lander for all the atmospheric bodies, but since they each have different atmospheres, neither pressure nor altitude ends up being a good indicator for when to cut and decouple my drogues. I suppose I could do action groups, but staging would be vastly more convenient (because when I cut the chutes, I also decouple the heatshield that they are attached to).

Hopefully I didn't accidentally double post; I wrote something similar and tried to submit it without being logged in, but even after logging in it hasn't shown up.

Unfortunately not, the staging list is very strict and rigid on it's uses. It's on and off for a single part, and isn't related to modules. Action groups and part right click will have to do I'm afraid.

Quick question: will this effect parachutes on craft launched before adding this mod, or would I need to do some save file editing?

Given it is a PartModule, it will only effect new crafts, but that's not a big concern given that this is something that is only ever used in the editor :P

I'll just put this little story here: I had to remove the stock radial ModuleManager configs when i tried to land a probe on Duna that had the Stock radial parachutes installed before Realchutes. The deployment delay was a bit too slow for it.

Can we get the RealChute Drag Calculator as an in-game tool like Kerbal build engineer that's available in the VAB and can be enabled/disabled with a common toolbar icon (like kerbal engineer redux and RCS build assistant)?

I'll just put this little story here: I had to remove the stock radial ModuleManager configs when i tried to land a probe on Duna that had the Stock radial parachutes installed before Realchutes. The deployment delay was a bit too slow for it.

You could simply have used the tweakables to speed up deployment? Or raise deployment altitude?

Can we get the RealChute Drag Calculator as an in-game tool like Kerbal build engineer that's available in the VAB and can be enabled/disabled with a common toolbar icon (like kerbal engineer redux and RCS build assistant)?

... Did you read up a little?

what do i wrong when my drag chute does not open when my shuttle landed on the runway?

it tells me "waiting for -0.1m/s vertical speed". ahm, negative vertical speed? maybe i can retract the landing gear to get a litle bit, but seems retracting gear while on ground is a bad idea :D

Hey, has anyone had a bug where the vessel weight keeps increasing when a RealChute part is strapped on? I am using Mechjeb, and that is where I am seeing the vessel weight.

That is so last year. You have an old version. Download the latest version and your craft will go on a diet and stop gaining weight.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Also sorry I didn't get any screen shots.

While landing my shuttle, which land vertically under parachutes, it broke apart. To be more specific, the shuttle began to spin about its lateral axis. It made 2-3 full rotations before break up, This not only ripped it apart, but it shot the capsule off at 500+ m/s. This after it was coming down at 8 m/s. Other than this bug, the mission was successful.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Also sorry I didn't get any screen shots.

While landing my shuttle, which land vertically under parachutes, it broke apart. To be more specific, the shuttle began to spin about its lateral axis. It made 2-3 full rotations before break up, This not only ripped it apart, but it shot the capsule off at 500+ m/s. This after it was coming down at 8 m/s. Other than this bug, the mission was successful.

You are using an outdated version of the mod. Get v0.3.3.2 to fix this.

You could without reducing functionality have five parachute models--1.25m cone, .625m cone, 1.25 stack, .625m stack, and radial--and make tweakable whether they are double chute, main, drogue, or drag, reducing memory load and increasing elegance.

-Duxwing

Is there some way to fix the unresearched items in my tech tree that realchute introduces, I end up with duplicated items that are greyed out, and I can go to the R&D lab, research them but they still remain unreserched in the VAB.

If there's an easy fix it should probably be in the FAQ at the start.

Is there some way to fix the unresearched items in my tech tree that realchute introduces, I end up with duplicated items that are greyed out, and I can go to the R&D lab, research them but they still remain unreserched in the VAB.

If there's an easy fix it should probably be in the FAQ at the start.

Duplicated? Is it possible that you maybe made something wrong during installation?