stupid_chris

And here it is:

March 29th 2016
v1.4x1
*Prerelease*
-Updated to Unity 5
-Updated KSP references
-Fixed issues with part mass editing
-Temporarily removed Win64 lock (testing stability)
-Built on Win x64

Please note the following for this release:

• Absolutely no support will be given with this version of RealChute. This is a test version, as much for KSP than for me. A lot changed in KSP which means that a lot may have changed in the way RealChute interacts with it. The large of it is done, but until KSP is stable enough, it's too much of a hassle to pin wether bugs are RC or KSP related. Not only that, but it's my finals period ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • This version is unlocked on the Windows 64bit versions of the game. This is also a test with this prerelease, and if I find it not to be stable enough, the locking might come back. This isn't point for discussion and I will ignore all comments on this.
  • All ModuleManager patches are not included with this.
  • This is only available for download on GitHub. Please bear in mind that this and KSP may have loads of bugs.

This being said, enjoy!

23 hours ago, Oromis said:

I'm desperately trying to land on mars with a very small lander. It's just 300kg.
After getting to LMO (250km) and initiating the descent from 3500m/s orbital velocity, I get to 10km above the surface still going at about 2000m/s: drogues are destroyed by g-forces, then main chute is also destroyed around 1600m/s. And I finally hit the ground still going 1100 m/s....

edit: periapsis for the descent is 35-40km

So whose fault is it? the chutes? my approach?
I'm thinking maybe my lander is too small (a 0.625m heatshield manages to shield it) and doesn't produce enough drag to aerobrake decently?

also how is this guy able to deploy the chute going at 2000m/s video:o:o 

To what stupid_chris said, I would add: aim for a very low altitude landing site. Look for the lowlands biome, and even for a good spot inside the biome.

Thank you so much for the pre-release!

On 30/03/2016 at 1:46 AM, stupid_chris said:

-snip-

• Absolutely no support will be given with this version of RealChute.

-snip-

Does that mean no bug reports are allowed either?

19 hours ago, Kowgan said:

Thank you so much for the pre-release!

Does that mean no bug reports are allowed either?

You can try your luck, but chances that if your bug report isn't an experimental team level bug report, that you're not able to pin this to a specific error happening at a specific point and that you aren't absolutely certain that it's RealChute messing up, I'll ignore it.

Hey guys, small update!

April 1st 2016
v1.4x2
*Prerelease*
-Fixed some slight GUI issues
-Fixed redundancy in editor part mass update (correction, awaits new KSP build)
-Added a new custom parachute deployment sound
-Slightly modified parachute canopies textures
-Created an 1.0.5 port of all the newer changes (backward ports FTW)

Thoses are a few small fixes. Also, all the modifications and fixed have also been backwards ported to KSP 1.0.5, so everyone can enjoy the fun! 1.1 download is on github only, and 1.0.5 download is on SpaceDock only.

38 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

-Added a new custom parachute deployment sound
-Slightly modified parachute canopies textures

Oh, it's that time of the year again. I see what you did there. Well played, sir.

Edited by Kowgan

I knew I shouldn't try this new version, I still remember these 3 poor Kerbals I lost last year.

But, I tried it anyway ... low willpower.

And you didn't disappoint me, excellent one :D

Edited by Athlonic

2 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

1) you wait for april 2nd

2) you rever to the previous version

I 3)d, edited the parts configs and copied over from the 1.05 install textures. I didn't realize there was a previous 1.1 compatible version out there.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the currently broken 1.1 build (no crew capacity) but I installed 1.4x2 before starting the new broken version.  In the VAB I had no chutes visible in utility tab.  I did a search for "chute" and nothing showed up.  I uninstalled the mod and chutes are back.  I'll let you know if it gets fixed with the new build.

Edit:  New version is up.  Loaded game without RealChute and the chutes are there.  Installed RealChute, loaded game, no chutes except USI Pack Chute (I believe it was there before as well).  The chutes are listed in the R&D building as unlocked, but don't show up in VAB.

Edited by RiverRat2800

3 hours ago, RiverRat2800 said:

Don't know if it has anything to do with the currently broken 1.1 build (no crew capacity) but I installed 1.4x2 before starting the new broken version.  In the VAB I had no chutes visible in utility tab.  I did a search for "chute" and nothing showed up.  I uninstalled the mod and chutes are back.  I'll let you know if it gets fixed with the new build.

Edit:  New version is up.  Loaded game without RealChute and the chutes are there.  Installed RealChute, loaded game, no chutes except USI Pack Chute (I believe it was there before as well).  The chutes are listed in the R&D building as unlocked, but don't show up in VAB.

See:

On 3/30/2016 at 0:46 AM, stupid_chris said:

• Absolutely no support will be given with this version of RealChute. This is a test version, as much for KSP than for me. A lot changed in KSP which means that a lot may have changed in the way RealChute interacts with it. The large of it is done, but until KSP is stable enough, it's too much of a hassle to pin wether bugs are RC or KSP related. Not only that, but it's my finals period.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Though I can safely assure you that RealChute isnt the problem and that you don messed it up. Version 1.4x2 contains an april fools prank, and more than enough people messaged me about it to confirm that it does indeed work.

Edited by stupid_chris

25 minutes ago, RiverRat2800 said:

No biggie, as I've never used it before its no loss to me to just uninstall it.  I just thought I'd let you know about it.  Good luck with finals!

No big loss for me either :P Also thanks, and I hope stock chutes don't make you too sad!

19 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

2016 - The Year of the Nyan

Maybe it's just me, but I'm in the opposite camp as the others :D  I wouldn't mind that being a permanent (perhaps optional for those who don't appreciate quality) feature ;)

Also, I've said it once Chris, but it is worth saying again - RealChute is one of the more-or-less required quality of life mods for me.  As such, I salute both your ingenuity, and appreciate your dedication.  Even for the prerelease, you went out of your way to put something together. I know most mod-makers don't hear thank you enough between all the people saying "when's an update coming" or "why don't you do it this way" or "something broke somewhere in the game, it must be your mod, fix it!", so allow me to be one of the people who heartily applauds you with no reservation.

Also, I can report running the 1.1 prerelease in x64 and no problems so far.

1 hour ago, falcon2000 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm in the opposite camp as the others :D  I wouldn't mind that being a permanent (perhaps optional for those who don't appreciate quality) feature ;)

Also, I've said it once Chris, but it is worth saying again - RealChute is one of the more-or-less required quality of life mods for me.  As such, I salute both your ingenuity, and appreciate your dedication.  Even for the prerelease, you went out of your way to put something together. I know most mod-makers don't hear thank you enough between all the people saying "when's an update coming" or "why don't you do it this way" or "something broke somewhere in the game, it must be your mod, fix it!", so allow me to be one of the people who heartily applauds you with no reservation.

Also, I can report running the 1.1 prerelease in x64 and no problems so far.

Well I thank you greatly :) Does feel good to have positive comments once in a while.

Regardless, it's April 2nd now, so have a new version!

April 2nd 2016
v1.4x3
*Prerelease*
-No longer purveys the Nyan. Leaving that to Sarbian.
-Issue in the editor with part mass modifying is fixed in the game and the subsequent hack has been removed
-Fixed PopupDialog anchor issues

Should fix any current "annoyance" and work with the latest prerelease build. Cheers!

EDIT: I've pushed a silent update to an annoying but absolutely harmless bug to Spacedock. It only affects 1.0.5, so no worries to anything else.

Edited by stupid_chris

hmmm, anyone have any idea why i would lose the ability to click next/prev size from the VAB right click menu, in only one specific savegame file...

works fine in another savegame, and still works fine in the action groups menu...   modlist stayed the same, the only changes i believe were in game upgrades to the VAB and LaunchPad

1 hour ago, skbernard said:

hmmm, anyone have any idea why i would lose the ability to click next/prev size from the VAB right click menu, in only one specific savegame file...

works fine in another savegame, and still works fine in the action groups menu...   modlist stayed the same, the only changes i believe were in game upgrades to the VAB and LaunchPad

Because this is only available during career games as long as the action groups are locked in the editor.

Just now, stupid_chris said:

Because this is only available during career games as long as the action groups are locked in the editor.

oh yeah, now that you mention it i do remember when you put this in a long long time ago, sorry bout that, thanks for the clarification,. love the mod (its been a long time since i played)

@stupid_chris Have loved Real Chutes since I found it WAY back in the day (.25???)  Wanted to thank you for the amazing mod that is Realchutes.

I have had an ongoing, minorly annoying issue when I use symmetrical chutes (I say issue because I am fully capable of accepting that it is likely ME that is the issue....)  Hope you can clarify/help on this.

When I set a custom deploy altitude and then click apply to all parts in symmetry, every change applies (Type of chute, size, material etc) EXCEPT the custom deployment profile.   I know what altitude my birds SHOULD be at for a safe chute deployment so I set the altitudes slightly below that.  You know, to avoid the ripping of your fab chutes.    Likewise if I make a COPY of an adjusted chute, everything but deployment data changes copies.

I have had this issue for a while ( I think I noticed it first in .90 )but it is the first time I have posted on it.  It has been on clean installs with just Real-Chutes and a couple of mod manager files to adjust the the capsules cfgs (and happens weather the capsules are loaded or not.)   Is this a "Design Feature" a "Bug" or "Pappystein is an idiot when it comes to Real Chutes?"  :)

Oh this is across 3 different Windows Computers and until the 1.1 test release, I stayed away from Winx64 at yours and a few other Mod creator's guidance.  Checking through all the various config files/Modmanager files I have tweaked, or downloaded (mods) I find no reference that SHOULD interfere with Realchute.

TIA

On 4/2/2016 at 2:42 AM, stupid_chris said:

Well I thank you greatly :) Does feel good to have positive comments once in a while.

Regardless, it's April 2nd now, so have a new version!

April 2nd 2016
v1.4x3
*Prerelease*
-No longer purveys the Nyan. Leaving that to Sarbian.
-Issue in the editor with part mass modifying is fixed in the game and the subsequent hack has been removed
-Fixed PopupDialog anchor issues

Should fix any current "annoyance" and work with the latest prerelease build. Cheers!

EDIT: I've pushed a silent update to an annoying but absolutely harmless bug to Spacedock. It only affects 1.0.5, so no worries to anything else.

"No longer purveys the Nyan"? Does that mean it no longer hates x64, or no longer works with it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.